hi sorry to ask such a strange question and im hoping this is in the right place, i have a 1991 Elddis Pamperos, and for the last 2 years after using online tyre pressure sites stating 45-50 psi, i just managed to get hold of a handbook and it states 35psi, im baffled why one would be so high or the manufacturer would be so low, i set my cars at 32 psi, its a 5 berth but only 2 of us use it so no risk of overload but am curious for safety

All depends on the rating of the tyres fitted versus the MTPLM of the caravan Assuming it’s a single axle the  tyres fitted should be of a commercial type and generally run at higher pressures. However if the caravan is of lighter construction ordinary car tyres running at lower pressures may be perfectly ok. 
The handbook will  state the tyres that are required together with the recommended cold inflation pressure. I’d compare that with whatever is actually fitted and go from there. You could also check the manufacturers date stamp while you’re at it as it’s recommended to replace tyres older than 5 years. The fact that there’s only 2  of you in it rather than 5 is not really relevant. 

If you post photos of the legend on the tyre and the nameplate, we can verify your arithmetic IF YOU WISH;)

Skoda Yeti 2.0 Outdoor DSG.  Freedom Jetstream Sports Twin Flare.  Reich mover.

I would use the tyre pressure from Elddis. They designed the van and knows what tyre pressure it should have.

4 hours ago, AndersG said:

I would use the tyre pressure from Elddis. They designed the van and knows what tyre pressure it should have.

Only if you have the standard tyres fitted. Elddis won't know what tyres are now fitted after 29 years.

• I agree completely 1

Land Rover on SORN so not towing anything for a while

The tyres will have stamped on them their max load and tyre pressure that corresponds with that load. You could simply use this pressure. Our Elddis recommended pressure is the same as that on the tyres. 

Tyre size and ratings fitted now?  and as specified by Elddis originally?  Are they the same or different? 

Google says your 1991 caravan is a single axle 787  kg MiRO, and 987 kg  MTPLM, so a much lighter caravan than most of us use today.  200kg personal effects allowance include the leisure battery, gas bottles, mains lead, step, water carriers, etc.,. etc.,. and I expect you will be close to the MTPLM if not over...  it's so easy to load stuff in the caravan!

Kelper has quoted the 1992 spec from the same site as I used for the numbers above.

You need to quote the figures from the plate attached to your caravan to use for any calculations.

It is probably on car tyres rated around 500kg each if my figure is right? That age caravans the standard was to have tyres rated slightly more than MTPLM divided by two.  Current thinking is that it should be ( MTPLM+10% ) divided by two to give an even greater safety margin.   Which you opt to choose is 6 of one and half a dozen of the other.

So the pressure to use can be found using a calculator like that from Tyre Safe if using a modern tyre rating, or one that is not the originally specified tyre size and rating.  Although on original spec tyres Elddis' figure should be correct?

2012 Bailey Pegasus 2 Rimini towed by 2019 Ford Galaxy Titanium X, 2.0 EcoBlue, 8 speed auto.