There is only 2 of us in the house, we have always cook our main meal from scratch  never bought any ready meal in our life but since the lock down we started eating ready cook meal from the major super market that can either be heat up in microwave, oven or under the grill, I found out our meal expenditure has gone down by at least 50% saving me an average of £10 a day. now that we have got used to eating ready meal and saving money I have decided it is a good idea to continue once the lock down is over. more money to spend on caravanning in the future. :D

6 minutes ago, oldboy said:

There is only 2 of us in the house, we have always cook our main meal from scratch  never bought any ready meal in our life but since the lock down we started eating ready cook meal from the major super market that can either be heat up in microwave, oven or under the grill, I found out our meal expenditure has gone down by at least 50% saving me an average of £10 a day. now that we have got used to eating ready meal and saving money I have decided it is a good idea to continue once the lock down is over. more money to spend on caravanning in the future. :D

Well I would put some of the cash you save into buying a good blood pressure monitor o/a the amount of salt in ready meals.  Come to think of it, use of the BP monitor could often be valuable after a session on this forum!

• Like 1
  • Haha 3
10 minutes ago, Stockcroft said:

Well I would put some of the cash you save into buying a good blood pressure monitor o/a the amount of salt in ready meals.  Come to think of it, use of the BP monitor could often be valuable after a session on this forum!

Agree. We have weaned my in laws off ready meals, we now cook extra and make our own ready meals from that. 

Some of the ready meals are :angry:

19 minutes ago, Stockcroft said:

I am already on BP tablet started 6 years ago, I am now at  the time of my life where I want to enjoy and spend all the money for the rest of it, so I won't  worry too much about it.

Edited by Guest

I saw the other day while on food preparation that most virus and destroyed at a heat 60 degrees but this virus needs 90 degrees or near boiling and it's optimum temperature is 5 degrees it will last longest .

The only take away food I buy in is fish n chips as that cooks and delivered very hot and no cold food like prepared salads in burgers or kebabs .

We use the  Tesco meals which we use in the MH as well and not found them bad for less than a pound .

Edited by CommanderDave

Jeep Commander 3. 0 V6 CRD

Isuzu D- Max Utah Auto

Elddis Crusader Storm 2000 Kgs, Unipart Royal Atlas Mover .

During this lockdown period the majority of my meals are ready meals from Parsley Box. No point in buying all the ingredients for one and PB meals are ambient not frozen and with an 11 month shelf life. 

But I have learnt to make a really good Chilli Con Carne! 

Just checked the packaging of my last two. 1.2 and 1.6 gms per meal. That's acceptable to me. If I die early I'll let you all know first! 

Graham

Unless otherwise stated all posts are my personal opinion 

Good grief! A ready meal would not pass the gate house, let alone coming through the portcullis to the entrance hallway.

I so enjoy cooking, that I could not contemplate a ready meal.

Nearest w e get is once a month, when Zoe, youngest daughter, brings home a take away from the Chinese restaurant she runs!

As an aside, they are doing £4000+  a night in takeaways at present! 
Have people forgotten how to cook!

• Thanks 1
  • I agree completely 2

2019 Bailey Platinum (640) Phoenix from Chipping Sodbury caravans, towed by our  2017 my Discovery Sport!

8 minutes ago, WispMan said:

During this lockdown period the majority of my meals are ready meals from Parsley Box. No point in buying all the ingredients for one and PB meals are ambient not frozen and with an 11 month shelf life. 

But I have learnt to make a really good Chilli Con Carne! 

Just checked the packaging of my last two. 1.2 and 1.6 gms per meal. That's acceptable to me. If I die early I'll let you all know first! 

A promise is a promise, we will hold you to that :P

4 hours ago, oldboy said:

I found out our meal expenditure has gone down by at least 50% 

Not only has your expenditure gone down by 50% so has your nutrient intake and life expectancy 😂😂😂

Seriously oldboy, it might be ok during this current malarkey but long term, processed food is poison.

Food is produced  on farms and provided by Mother Nature, if it’s ‘made’ in a factory it is not good for you.

• I agree completely 4

2015 3. 2 Auto Mitsubishi Pajero tugging a 2016 Tabbert Pucinni 2. 5e

I'm with Borussia on this one fresh is best mmmmmmmmmmm

Martin

• I agree completely 2

Most ready meals heated in a microwave come out in some state.

On the occasions we use ready meals they are heated / cooked in the oven. Some makes are not bad, and we tend to favour Kershaws as we get meat of all sorts, 2 veg and some form of tatties.

£6 for 4 in Morrisons.

• I agree completely 1
28 minutes ago, Borussia 1900 said:

Not only has your expenditure gone down by 50% so has your nutrient intake and life expectancy 😂😂😂

Seriously oldboy, it might be ok during this current malarkey but long term, processed food is poison.

Food is produced  on farms and provided by Mother Nature, if it’s ‘made’ in a factory it is not good for you.

If the army ration pack was that bad after eating it for 20 years I would have been dead by now.

Edited by Guest

Have you tried the cook books

Pinch of Nom?

Stunning food, 

We make our own ready meals and freeze them, far more nutritious!

My food bill has gone through the roof. I'd say currently a 300% increase.

I'm now shopping for several different vulnerable people who can't go out.  Last weekend I cooked 8 roast beef dinners and delivered them out.

I'm trying to keep a list of who has had what but it's not easy when you're splitting bags of potatoes etc.  My Mum does online banking so we've talked her through transferring money but the rest will have to wait until after the lockdown

For myself and my wife we are still cooking a meal every night but we are not eating our usual food, we are having to be more creative and some of the new stuff we've bought I've quite enjoyed.

One thing for certain is we have far less waste, I'm ashamed to say we did tend to through away far too much food and now I plan what we eat far better and if something is a day out of date but looks and smells OK we will eat it, previously it would have gone in the bin.

Edited by logiclee
  • Like 2

Yeti 2.0TDi DSG 4X4 L&K, Octavia TSi Manual, Citigo ASG, Swift Challenger.

"if something is a day out of date but looks and smells OK we will eat it, previously it would have gone in the bin."

That is something that has never happen in my household, coming from a poor country background having gone hungry when I was a kid make me appreciate the value of food and everything else.

When my 2 lads left and I took early retirement we stopped doing weekly shopping we buy every food stuff on a day to day basis we only buy enough for our needs so there is no waste, my freezer, my cupboards are now empty been like that for the last 15 years

Edited by Guest

When we are away in the van, normally four to five months of the year, we have a lot of prepared supermarket food but at home I tend to cook from fresh most of it although I do bulk cook and freeze several portions of the meals I make.

In this crisis I have tended to cook even more for something to do. The trouble is more time to bake means my waist line is getting bigger.

• Haha 1

Kia Sorrento towing a Coachman VIP 575/4

Our blog: jennyandjohngocaravanning. wordpress. com

17 minutes ago, oldboy said:

When my 2 lads left and I took early retirement we stopped doing weekly shopping we buy every food stuff on a day to day basis we only buy enough for our needs so there is no waste, my freezer, my cupboards are now empty been like that for the last 15 years

Shopping every day is not something you can always do when working and commuting daily though. 

And in current times something that should definitely be avoided, I believe shopping is the highest risk activity I do currently.  For four households I'm managing to do one major shop and 1 small shop in between for milk/bread etc per week.  For the next two weeks I have managed to get an online slot.

We have a 14 day stock in the freezer/cupboards I'm a key worker and if I end up with symptoms and self isolating then at least we'll have enough food to see us through. 

Edited by logiclee
  • Like 2

Yeti 2.0TDi DSG 4X4 L&K, Octavia TSi Manual, Citigo ASG, Swift Challenger.

ready meals are fine now and again, but read the ingredients, salt, fats. . You may find it more convenient to cook up a big batch of something and put it into small packs and freeze them, make your own ready meals. 

35 minutes ago, joanie said:

ready meals are fine now and again, but read the ingredients, salt, fats. . You may find it more convenient to cook up a big batch of something and put it into small packs and freeze them, make your own ready meals. 

One thing I have never done and will never do reading  ingredients and worry about what in it.

Edited by Guest
12 hours ago, PR1 said:

As an aside, they are doing £4000+  a night in takeaways at present! 
Have people forgotten how to cook!

Our daughter & SiL's restaurant is doing £4500 + a night on takeaways.  They were in the final stages of opening a 2nd restaurant in a different area, when all this kicked off and fitting out work stopped, else they would have the same takings there too!

It's not that people have forgotten how to cook, it's that they like a treat every now and then.  We now order in once a week because we want to and enjoy it.  That said, we would still rather go out for a meal a couple of times a week.  Maybe that's why our caravan cooker doesn't get used much and we love going on a cruise, where we can dine out all day, every day!

It's been 5 weeks since our last cruise and we're missing it, but a plus is that I've lost 15lbs since then, so the lockdown diet seems to be a good thing!

Bailey Orion News & Information - 

11 hours ago, oldboy said:

If the army ration pack was that bad after eating it for 20 years I would have been dead by now.

You only ate ration packs for 20 years? I was in the army for 15 years but didn’t eat that muck all the time, just on Ops/Ex.

The modern  food industry is terrible and the way it lobbies governments and healthcare systems is shocking. Prime example is that Flora who use an industrial method of hydrogenating vegetable oil so it stays solid at room temperature actually’sponsor’ the British Heart Foundation, you couldn’t make it up.

If it’s a plant...... eat it

If it eats plants........ eat it

If it’s made in a plant......... avoid

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

4 minutes ago, Borussia 1900 said:

You only ate ration packs for 20 years? I was in the army for 15 years but didn’t eat that muck all the time, just on Ops/Ex.

The modern  food industry is terrible and the way it lobbies governments and healthcare systems is shocking. Prime example is that Flora who use an industrial method of hydrogenating vegetable oil so it stays solid at room temperature actually’sponsor’ the British Heart Foundation, you couldn’t make it up.

If it’s a plant...... eat it

If it eats plants........ eat it

If it’s made in a plant......... avoid

Being in the TA we spent most of our time on training Ex so it is always compo or 24 hrs rat pack which have been on the shelves for at least 4 years before we get it.

As I said before, I am not worry about eating anything whether fresh, manufactured or whatever as long as it is edible.

Not all ready meals are equal, some contain more "real" ingredients than others, and can be a time saving way of eating something that you would not normally cook for yourself.

A variety of ready meals may well give a variety of nutrients - although it is true that they will also (usually) give pretty high levels of salt, sugar and additives.

If eating ready meals according to the label portion size, then it is very possible that you will be eating less quantity wise than you would if you were cooking from scratch, so there is a bonus in that (although if you are each eating a pack that says, "serves 2" you have a problem).

When we both worked full time with very long hours, M&S ready meals were a regular thing. Now just 2 in the freezer for emergencies.

I could say that I cook from scratch with raw meat, fish and vegetables, make my own scones and cakes with flour and butter.

Then I look around around the other things in the kitchen -  microwavable rice, gravy powder, curry powder, frozen chips, tinned baked beans, tinned custard, shop purchased jam, bottles of ketchup, jars of horseradish sauce, sliced bread etc., etc.

They are all processed food so all are ready meals in some shape or form.

11 minutes ago, oldboy said:

Being in the TA we spent most of our time on training Ex so it is always compo or 24 hrs rat pack which have been on the shelves for at least 4 years before we get it.

As I said before, I am not worry about eating anything whether fresh, manufactured or whatever as long as it is edible.

So you didn’t just eat compo for 20 years, just now and again as I suspected.

The odd ready meal won’t kill you but a lot of folk I know live on them, all the time. They don’t need me to tell them that’s not a good idea but they just don’t care, each to his own I suppose.

I only ate compo on Harrier Force deployments , although I think thy did use it in the messes on exercises .

It was ok, desgned to give you energy. Used to block your system up!

We rarely buy ready meals, usually pizza, since fresh food is plentiful and healthier.

Do like fish and chips especially at the seaside.

Hyundai Santa Fe+Bailey Unicorn Cadiz

Mini Cooper convertible -fun Car!:)