Sign in to follow this  
Johnaldo

LED strip lighting

I’m looking to add some 12v strip lights above the cupboards in the ‘van.  

When I look on Amazon there’s hundreds of different types, so can anyone recommend one they’ve used?

What sort of connectors do they come with?

For instance, would these be appropriate?  Amazon link.

TIA, John.

Posted (edited)

They are probably as good as any. Mostly they'll come with a single barrel type socket either 2.1 or 2,5mm, at one end - you can see it at the end of the reel if you look closely, but if you wnt to use shorter lengths then they have cutting marks usuallt at every third LED so you can cut off what you need and solder on wires to route back to the supply.

However if you dont have a soldering iron (or can't solder) there are connectors about that will fit onto the ends of the strip - Have a shufti at this - 

Theres loads of info on t'interweb and you can also find solderless connectors to do the job.

If it's inside the van you dont really need waterproof strips, whhich are a bit more difficult to joint as you've got to scrape the silicon off to make the connection

Edited by matelodave
  • Like 1

It is important not to get 12v LED strip!

Caravan 12v electrics actually run nearer to 14v than 12v when on ehu. Instead, you need to read the specs and get some with a voltage range that covers both 12v and 14v, typically this will be 12 - 30v.

• Like 1
  • I disagree 1

Well you CAN use 12v lighting strip with a suitable power supply, cheaply available on ebay such as this one

Note that if you intend to use the LEDs with any form of incandescent bulb it needs to be either white (NOT daylight white) if the bulbs are halogen, or warm white if they are ordinary filament lamps. There is nothing quite so disturbing as bulbs of different colours!

For info, daylight white is 6500K and are noticeably blue hinted (and they make food look awful!) whereas halogens are about 3000K and warm white are 2700K or thereabouts. (Fluorescent is about 4000K and looks green (at least to photographic film) and needs a purple filter to get the colour right.) The lower the colour temperature the more red the light gets: domestic lighting (filament/pearl) is anything from 2200K to 2700K, daylight is usually 5600K but sunshine is usually regarded as 6500K. On a sunny day with no cloud (i.e. bright blue sky) the CT can reach 10000K quite easily.

First time out with our U4 Seville two years ago the USB charger in the lamp above my bedhead failed. The dealer replaced it under warranty of course, except that they go direct to Bailey's supplier and not to Bailey (Prima Leisure.) The lamp that arrived was not the same as the remaining three being distinctly more blue. I objected. They went back to the supplier who didn't have a clue what I was talking about - colour temperature - wassat? but supplied another replacement and I objected again but this time to the boss man. He sent his sparks to fetch one out of their demo van and that matched perfectly.

• Like 1

A few years ago our stip LED's packed in, as  the van  was still under warrantee the dealer could not get a new strip from coachman for yonks, so they went to Maplins and bought some and fitted and they are still good 

Maplins? Wassat?  :)

Maplins? Hi-de-Hi.       Hi-de-Ho:D

I miss shops like that, very useful for all sorts of stuff, not the same buying online but guess there’s going to be an awful lot more done online now & after lockdown finishes as a lot of businesses will go under - a great shame, I feel for them. 

I have been using cheap (eBay) 12v self adhesive LED strip lights in motorhomes and caravans for about 15 years now and only suffered a single failure (a block of 3 LED’s in a longer strip failed a few year ago) but they are so cheap to buy, I get a 5m roll and cut to length, that replacement is not any sort of issue.  Others make a big “thing” about only getting expensive led’s. Personal choice but my experience is that the cheap ones are pretty good these days. I always go for the “daylight white” type, cant stand the insipid “yellow” ones! 

You pays yer money, and takes yer choice!!

Andy

Just be aware that some are polarity sensitive! 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Mr Plodd said:

I have been using cheap (eBay) 12v self adhesive LED strip lights in motorhomes and caravans for about 15 years now and only suffered a single failure (a block of 3 LED’s in a longer strip failed a few year ago) but they are so cheap to buy, I get a 5m roll and cut to length, that replacement is not any sort of issue.  Others make a big “thing” about only getting expensive led’s. Personal choice but my experience is that the cheap ones are pretty good these days. I always go for the “daylight white” type, cant stand the insipid “yellow” ones! 

You pays yer money, and takes yer choice!!

Andy

Just be aware that some are polarity sensitive! 

That said, nothing happens if you connect them up reverse polarity.

7 hours ago, Woodentop said:

Maplins are, and have been for some time, back up and running as an on line business only.

7 hours ago, Woodentop said:

Next door to Woolworths and just down the road from C&A

:Thankyou:    for the advice from Matelodave, Stevan, Woodentop and Mr Plodd.

John

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, bspks said:

Maplins are, and have been for some time, back up and running as an on line business only.

Er, my tongue is hurting from pressing so hard into my cheek!

• I do not understand 1

On 16/04/2020 at 19:42, Woodentop said:

Er, my tongue is hurting from pressing so hard into my cheek!

https://www.maplin.co.uk

On 15/04/2020 at 14:57, Stevan said:

It is important not to get 12v LED strip!

Caravan 12v electrics actually run nearer to 14v than 12v when on ehu. Instead, you need to read the specs and get some with a voltage range that covers both 12v and 14v, typically this will be 12 - 30v.

I agree 14v will burn the leds but I have to disagree not to buy them.

The 12v strip needs a resistor to drop the voltage or else buy a dc-dc buck converter for a couple of pounds and wire that in.

6 hours ago, limecc said:

The 12v strip needs a resistor to drop the voltage or else buy a dc-dc buck converter for a couple of pounds and wire that in.

Definately the dc to dc converter, resistor would potentially get hot and be different for each differing length of LED run. The dc to dc converter also gives the advantage of smoothing out the supply fluctuations such as when a pumps running etc, no flickering LED's.

8 hours ago, limecc said:

15 years of using cheap eBay  LED strips (as per my previous post)  and never yet had any problems other than 1 three LED section “die” on me. Never had flickering when using the water pump either. I have used both MH’s and caravans for many long (6-9 week) trips (on EHU most of the time) as well as using it them as guest annexes at home so they have had a fair bit of usage. 

I have had practical experience of the cheap LED’s how much actual experience of them “burning out” have those who insist you need the more expensive ones had I wonder? 

Just out if interest I have a few 12v bulbs (like car brake light but with two wires not bayonet fitting) they work perfectly well off a PP9 nine volt battery! so voltage clearly voltage isn’t  any issue with them. 

Andy