Blocked Awning Rail

WJG

I have a new bailey caravan  and the awning rails are blocked with sealant.  To save a trip to the Dealer has  anybody  had the same trouble and solved the problem?

Edited by WJG

Can I ask where it is blocked...Is it at the ends or in the middle?

Our first Pegasus had some sealant in the rail. I got a peice of thin wood, cut it to fit the slot,  filed a slight chamfer on the end. Then slid it along and pushed the offending mastic out.

Not too long a job. I used caravan step and stepladder, not being 8ft tall!

I use an  old piece of awning skirt that I have cut to about 20" and  an old guy line, I pull this through a couple of time a year, cleans the rail a treat

• Gordon changed the title to Blocked Awning Rail

Many years ago when we first got into caravans, an old friend advised us, when collecting our new caravan, to take a piece of awning skirt and drag it through the awning rail o ensure it was clear!

A useful tip, never forgotten!

2019 Bailey Platinum (640) Phoenix from Chipping Sodbury caravans, towed by our  2017 my Discovery Sport!

It is apparently a very common issue on modern vans with sealant everywhere; our 2017 Pegasus was blocked-no pulling through with anything would have unblocked it. I stood on a ladder for a couple of hours-tiny screw driver poking at it piggling it out bit by bit till it was clear and then I could actually run something through it-with plenty of silicon lube to help. Ours was blocked at the joint hoops toward the rear of the caravan where those little plastic covers drop down to the awning rail. pain! I considered silicone sealant eater but of course then you stand the risk of causing leaks!!!

There shouldnt be any risk of causing leaks by removing sealand from the awning track. There are no holes or screws in the track. If the material is sealant it should come loose easily. Adhesive is much harder to un-stick. 

A piece of wood with a carefully shaped end should move it ok.

It was VERY tough on ours! And this isn't the first Bailey of recent manufacture to have this issue. I've seen it mentioned elsewhere and met people on site with the same issue.  I sliced it with a stanley knife first if I remember rightly.

Edited by Jezzerb

I used a pen kife to get most of the sealer out, then run a piece of isabella skirt through it until it run free.

The isabella bead is cased in a woven fabric which makes it a bit rough, not like the cheaper plastic ones.

'I know' is just 'I Believe' with delusions of grandeur

Mitsubishi Outlander 2.4 PHEV 4H

Unicorn 4 Cadiz

• 1 year later...

I have just purchased an Bailey Alacanto Porto and I had this same issue, I used an 'hack saw blade' (carefully) which eventually scraped out the silly - con

When we buy a new caravan I take a piece of awning skirt and at handover run it through the awning rail! Always find it blocked somewhere, so dealer cleans it for me before we leave with the caravan.

2019 Bailey Platinum (640) Phoenix from Chipping Sodbury caravans, towed by our  2017 my Discovery Sport!

It's not uncommon for new vans to have some sealant in the awning rail particularly where pieces are joined. Just another PDI job that dealers fail to do!

It's fairly easy to rectify yourself and certainly not worth a trip back to the dealer. As suggested above use anything you have handy to carefully pick the sealant out and then ideally run a piece of awning rope through to make sure it is clear.

Life is not a rehearsal . . .:)

Porsche Cayenne S Diesel & Knaus StarClass 695. Previously Audi S4 Avant & Elddis Super Sirocco

• 2 weeks later...
On 31/07/2021 at 14:44, PR1 said:

When we buy a new caravan I take a piece of awning skirt and at handover run it through the awning rail! Always find it blocked somewhere, so dealer cleans it for me before we leave with the caravan.

Nice idea!