While considering my first Caravan Purchase I am now looking at insurance.  I would be grateful if someone could advise me on my car insurance, which states

Not included ........  "✘ Damage or loss to trailers, caravans or disabled motor vehicles being towed".  Will my caravan insurance cover me when being towed? Or

do I also need to upgrade my car insurance to cover towing a caravan?

Regards

Chris

BMW X3     Lunar Clubman SB                      Everything will be alright in the end and if its not alright,  then its not yet the end!

Most car insurance covers the towing of a trailer for third party protection (ie. if you reversed it into someone elses car your insurance would cover the damage to the third party, but not any damage to your caravan/trailer).

As with any insurance, it's always worth asking for them to clarify rather than assume, but in the 30-plus years I've been towing trailers/caravans, third party cover is always included.  I always take out fully comprehensive caravan insurance as well.  I use the Caravan Club but there are lots of others out there as well.

• I agree completely 1

2018 Volvo V90 and 2018 Swift Sprite Quattro EB

Yep, agree with that.

I had a slight contretemps with a my caravan and a parked car which was parked in an awkward position and the van caught his back bumper. Plastic bumpers are extremely expensive but not as expensive as the side of the van which cost nigh on £3k to get fixed.

My car insurance paid for the damage to the other blokes car and my van insurance paid for the damage to the van - two lots of NCD and excesses down the drain. 

Edited by matelodave

2018 S-Max Titanium 2. 0 Tdci (177. 54bhp,180ps,132kw) Powershift + 2015 Unicorn III Cadz, Ventura Marlin porch awning

You must also tell you insurance of any modifications made to the car including a tow bar. This is shown on the documentation I received from my insurer's

Sandy

9 minutes ago, sandy said:

You must also tell you insurance of any modifications made to the car including a tow bar. This is shown on the documentation I received from my insurer's

Sandy

I always state i have a tow ball fitted and will tow a caravan, recently I have changed insurance company and whilst getting quotes in from numerous insurers online most state that there is no need to declare it, but belt and braces, I do, and confirm it in writing 

Les

This refers to the position when towing. The car insurance covers you against third party claims when towing, but the caravan policy covers you for damage to the caravan.  This is because the RTA requires the policy to cover any trailer for third party risks, but when the caravan is not attached to the car then any third party claims arising out of the use of the caravan are covered by the caravan insurance.

You should notify your car insurer that you are fitting a tow bar but in most cases it will not affect your premium. If they put the premium up change insurers as they are having you on.

Edited by Wildwood
Posted (edited)

Thanks, much appreciated advice.  I will do as suggested and notify my insurance of the tow bar and clarify.

Best Wishes to all.

Edited by Snakecharmer

BMW X3     Lunar Clubman SB                      Everything will be alright in the end and if its not alright,  then its not yet the end!