Gas problems

Message added by CT Advertising,

clesse-320x120.jpg

Hi all.

Recently bought a static but have went to hook the gas on and realised it has been set up for mains gas, but as we have none in the area is there any way of modifying or gas boiler for the central heating and the cooker to run on lpg?

Any info will be greatly received

Edited by Mark smith

Usually it a case of swapping the burner jets BUT you need to check with the manufacturer of the boiler and cooker to establish what it actually required.

Random guesses from well meaning forumites wont know (especially as you havent told us the make & model of the cooker and boiler).

Ideally you should have a gas-safe engineer to do the job to ensure that it's done safely and legally

If as you say it has been set up for mains gas ,then to get it to run on LPG will require the appliances being rejetted.

To get ANY work done on a static van you MUST use a registered Gas Safe engineer, and not only that you will need one who is Natural Gas and LPG certified.

Rejetting is NOT a DIY job as the inlet pressures are different for Natural Gas and LPG.

However, how do you know it has been set for Natural Gas? or was it set up to run from a central LPG tank?

Edited by Brecon

A quick Google suggests conversion kits are available depending on brand. Have you tried the manufacturer or who you brought it from. I'd imagine this must be a common issue for statics especially when being moved from site to site etc.

Job for someone gas Safe qualified as MD says.

2 minutes ago, Jiffy176 said:

I'd imagine this must be a common issue for statics especially when being moved from site to site etc.

NO it is not common as most Static vans have LPG appliances, some with gas supplied by cylinders for each van, others run from a central gas tank and metered much the same as Natural Gas

You need a gas engineer. Look on the gassafe website for local engineers licenced to work on mains and lpg.

Phone them and tell them what type of boiler and what type of cooker you have (including serial number). They may need to order the parts.

Please do NOT try and do this yourself, or allow a friendly "I can sort that out for you" person to have a go.

I assume that you have this on your own land, in which case please remember that if you put any skirting round it the ventilation air bricks for LPG gas need to be close to the ground.

Edited by 2seaside

Why not ask at the site office for an engineer that they get in, there might well be a notice on their notice board.

1 hour ago, David 38 said:

Why not ask at the site office for an engineer that they get in, there might well be a notice on their notice board.

??I have assumed this is on private land, as a static park would only allow a mains gas van if they had mains gas (and it would already be connected up by the site).

3 minutes ago, 2seaside said:

??I have assumed this is on private land, as a static park would only allow a mains gas van if they had mains gas (and it would already be connected up by the site).

I'm not into statics and immediately think of that type of site.

In that case looks like OP did not do homework before ordering, if he did order correctly and got supplied wrong then supplier should correct.

14 hours ago, Mark smith said:

is there any way of modifying our gas boiler for the central heating and the cooker to run on lpg?

Any qualified gas fitter can obtain the new jets and carry out the conversion.   In the early 1970's the UK changed from using coal gas to North Sea Natural gas.   Every householder in the country was sent a questionnaire asking them to list every gas appliance in the house.   In due course, a gas fitter arrived on the doorstep with the necessary conversion jets for each unit, and made short work of changing them over.    Today, it's possible to buy gas appliances set up for natural gas, but with a conversion kit for lpg included.

Citroen C5-X7 Tourer+Avondale Rialto 480/2
https://jondogoescaravanning.com

8 minutes ago, Jaydug said:

Any qualified gas fitter can obtain the new jets and carry out the conversion

Not correct.

Back when Town Gas was replaced by Natural Gas the fitters only needed to be NG certified as it was basically the same gas.

Changing from Natural Gas to LPG you need a Gas Safe engineer who is certified to work on both NG and LPG

If it has been used on natural gas and not LPG (propane) previously, you need to check the gas drop holes under the boiler and cooker have not been covered over. 

It is also possible the static has been used on a site that had a piped supply of LPG from a central tank, rather than on natural gas from the grid.

In our village they've recently doubled the number of houses (well will be double when they finish building) - all are LPG metered gas fed from communal underground storage tanks (multiple tanks per development).  No mains/natural gas here, and neither developer wanted to pay for the grid to run pipes in.  One builders state "gas central heating with condensing or combi boiler" - a bit truth-economic in my view, but...

I'd be very surprised to find any static to have ever been natural mains gas fed but rather from a metered central lpg tank system.

The next village (with our telephone exchange in) has mains gas but the Residential Caravan Park on its edge is still LPG and proud of it. :P

OP needs an expert in to assess and advise of course!  Are Scottish LPG rules identical to other bits of the UK?

1 hour ago, Rodders53 said:

I'd be very surprised to find any static to have ever been natural mains gas fed but rather from a metered central lpg tank system.

Surprised because the park put in the infrastructure? or surprised that the static was set up for mains gas?

If the first, you are probably correct.

If the second, the statics built to residential spec can't be that much different to residential park homes, and a lot of residential park homes are definitely on mains gas.

Its the OP's third post and second problem with a recently aquired static. He hasnt been back with any info about iether problem. There isnt enough factual information on this one. I suggest the forum let Brecons initial response remain clear.

• 2 weeks later...

Get a gas engineer in.

We bought a static recently. Was assured all was checked and up to date as it had been lived in with a young child.... A very good job we didn't actually manage to get the gas fire lit - there was plastic bubble wrap stuffed up the flu and candle wax melted all across the bottom panel, as well as the plate things being in the wrong way round. Add in issues with the oven and hob and a heating system that hadn't been serviced in who knows how long, and we're just very thankful there was a suitably qualified engineer to hand.

It's not worth the risk to not have it all checked out properly!

• 8 months later...
27 minutes ago, Mr Magoo said:

So my static caravanislpg so is it just the jets need to be changed

What makes you think your van needs the jets changing ?

Are  you on LPG, Calor etc. and are you using the appliances now ?

How is the gas supplied to your static at the moment ?

1 hour ago, Mr Magoo said:

So my static caravanislpg so is it just the jets need to be changed

Does it have a fault?   Jets normally just require cleaning.

Citroen C5-X7 Tourer+Avondale Rialto 480/2
https://jondogoescaravanning.com

If you are asking about fitting a new gas appliance then the jets would need to be changed to convert it from natural gas to LPG.

7 minutes ago, DACS said:

If you are asking about fitting a new gas appliance then the jets would need to be changed to convert it from natural gas to LPG.

Unless he comes back to answer the questions we'll be non the wiser 🤷‍♂️

There appear to be a lot of one post posters about recently.

It would be nice if they took the same effort as it took to do their initial post, not a lot, to just say thanks, now sorted, or similar.

The same goes with the ones that have had lots of advice  and suggestions given, sometimes running into pages.

12 minutes ago, Silversurf said:

(extracted)

It would be nice if they took the same effort as it took to do their initial post, not a lot, to just say thanks, now sorted, or similar.

It would be nice if they also took a bit more effort with the initial post, not leaving everybody playing "guess the question".

But the answers are always useful for others - I've learnt quite a lot reading responses to somebody else's post.