What things have you (re)discovered in lockdown?

1 hour ago, Black Grouse said:

It surprises me that people thinking of spending serious money on audio equipment don't routinely have their hearing tested for both range and response.

I am now overdue my annual review, but it is not essential that I pester the NHS at this time, neither would I want to as  I would have to break social distancing protocols.

Edited by Sea&Sand
  • I agree completely 1
  • Replies 171
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Yep. And we've covered sheds, gardens, books, model railways, side entrances, tinned food and eggs as well. I think it's great the way the threads that are general discussions (i.e, not asking for hel

Am I the only one who is now getting more than a trifle bored with all this techy Talk about speakers, headphones and hearing loss?    The thread is entitled “What things have you discovered

My wife has found many things that needed painting, I have found that my knees and leg muscles do not enjoy going up and down steps or ladders while I am doing the painting 😀

Posted Images

On 16/04/2020 at 09:41, ancell said:

You cannot always rely on commercially canned food from abroad though

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/1964_Aberdeen_typhoid_outbreak

My former wife was a bacteriologist and was horrified at the Aberdeen incident. I have never, knowingly eaten Corned beef since though an additional reason was that I didn't like some the preservatives, such as saltpetre, which were used in those days.

2 hours ago, Black Grouse said:

It surprises me that people thinking of spending serious money on audio equipment don't routinely have their hearing tested for both range and response.

For Stereo Hifi perfect hearing is critical but for Home Cinema not so much. You do not need perfect hearing to enjoy surround or atmos.

There are often heated discussions between hifi purists and home cinema enthusiasts on the forums.

A Hifi purist will want perfect speaker placement and central seating position and nothing altering the signal path so the music is just the same as the recording.  They will want high end cables and mains power conditioners. I'm not one of those.

Home Cinema is all about compromise unless you can run to a dedicated room and most receivers will have auto calibration of some sort or another to EQ and balance the speakers.

Higher end gear will allow you to look at the room response from each speaker and adjust the frequency curve if required, And we've actually done this for clients with specif hearing issues or preferences.  Home Cinema is all about enjoyment and being immersed in the Movie.  Not listening to each symbol and stereo separation like a HIFI purist would do.

And final bit of advice. Never buy a £70 HDMI cable from Currys when a £7 HDMI cable from Amazon will give you the same picture and sound.

Yeti 2.0TDi DSG 4X4 L&K, Octavia TSi Manual, Citigo ASG, Swift Challenger.

I had a really bad ear infection when I was a small child and ended up in hospital with it so I've always been partially deaf on one side.

I started actually wearing an aid on that side about five years ago. However last year they decided that it needed cranking up a fair bit and the other side was getting a bit iffy as well, so now I've got a pair of them.

They do make a tremendous difference but not enough to make it worthwhile spending a significant amount of dosh on a super-duper sound system.

That together with my squinty eyes prevented me from joining the RAF when I left school in 1963.

So an adequate TV is fine as I wouldn't get much benefit out of the utmost in video excellence from a very expensive one.

2018 S-Max Titanium 2. 0 Tdci (177. 54bhp,180ps,132kw) Powershift + 2015 Unicorn III Cadz, Ventura Marlin porch awning

10 hours ago, logiclee said:

For Stereo Hifi perfect hearing is critical but for Home Cinema not so much. You do not need perfect hearing to enjoy surround or atmos.

There are often heated discussions between hifi purists and home cinema enthusiasts on the forums.

A Hifi purist will want perfect speaker placement and central seating position and nothing altering the signal path so the music is just the same as the recording.  They will want high end cables and mains power conditioners. I'm not one of those.

Home Cinema is all about compromise unless you can run to a dedicated room and most receivers will have auto calibration of some sort or another to EQ and balance the speakers.

Higher end gear will allow you to look at the room response from each speaker and adjust the frequency curve if required, And we've actually done this for clients with specif hearing issues or preferences.  Home Cinema is all about enjoyment and being immersed in the Movie.  Not listening to each symbol and stereo separation like a HIFI purist would do.

And final bit of advice. Never buy a £70 HDMI cable from Currys when a £7 HDMI cable from Amazon will give you the same picture and sound.

I suppose it depends on what you mean by critical.  I have age-related deafness but don't use any aids and thoroughly enjoy stereo Hifi through a pair of QA Concept 500s.  I down-sized from separate 'boxes' for stereo and home cinema purposes hence my choice of AVR to manage both.

I accept that the day will come when I need to have my system on full chat, 6 inches in front of my head!!

Sam :beardy:   RR Sport HSE Dynamic towing Swift Elegance Grande 845

13 hours ago, logiclee said:

But are we wasting money?

Come on, try this. 13000 for me.

No issue up to 5000 and then it was only the 8000 and 12000 the frequencies.  Nothing in between.  I guess I have the services to thank as you were ridiculed if you used 4x4 cloth to block your ears to gunfire.

2 hours ago, Wellys and Mac said:

Wasjig, have an attic with a roof high stack of these, some still in the wrapper.

You likely have plenty of time on your hands to open some of them up and get yourself frustrated  :P.

24 minutes ago, SamD said:

I suppose it depends on what you mean by critical.  I have age-related deafness but don't use any aids and thoroughly enjoy stereo Hifi through a pair of QA Concept 500s.  I down-sized from separate 'boxes' for stereo and home cinema purposes hence my choice of AVR to manage both.

I accept that the day will come when I need to have my system on full chat, 6 inches in front of my head!!

Hi Sam,

I'm talking about the discussions you see on the hifi forums where guys have changed from £20 a metre speaker cable to £100 a metre speaker cable and say it's made a noticable improvement and guys in their 60's are considering the upgrade.

I'm sorry I don't get that at all

In our spare bedroom I do have a single chair, a pair of cheaper B&W stand mounts and a Rotel Amp.  The whole system is less than £750. I can sit and enjoy that. I also have a range of headphones and external DAC for personal listing. I can and do enjoy music.  But even in my 40's I used to sit in Sevenoaks demo room and we'd swap out interconnects between modestly priced and high end items, I couldn't tell any difference. 

It amuses me that What Hifi jurno's in their 50's will be singing the praises of new HD headphones because they have a frequency response above 22khz whn you know they probably wont hear anything over 12khz.

That's the Hifi scene for me.

Home cinema is somewhat different, it's more about the enjoyment and the immersiveness. It's a different mindset of those involved.

7 minutes ago, Durbanite said:

No issue up to 5000 and then it was only the 8000 and 12000 the frequencies.  Nothing in between.  I guess I have the services to thank as you were ridiculed if you used 4x4 cloth to block your ears to gunfire.

Yes unfortunately that's hearing damage due to exposure.

Not suggesting you do but If you were to install a system and use a receiver like the Denon posted early you could lift the 5000 to 8000 frequency response in your room :)

Have you put a claim in?

Edited by logiclee

9 minutes ago, SamD said:

As I'm sure you realise, age-related hearing loss affects the higher frequencies more than the lower frequencies - this can be crudely compensated for by increasing the treble and reducing the bass - but even basic NHS digital hearing aids have more frequency bands allowing finer adjustment.

As a result of chemotherapy nearly 40 years ago, I have "early onset age-related" hearing loss which means I have the hearing of someone 30 years older than me, so over the 100.

• Like 1

2015 VW Touareg 3. 0 V6 TDI + 2013 Lunar Clubman ES

6 minutes ago, logiclee said:

Yes unfortunately that's hearing damage due to exposure.

Not suggesting you do but If you were to install a system and use a receiver like the Denon posted early you could lift the 5000 to 8000 frequency response in your room :)

Have you put a claim in?

No chance of a claim as it happened around 50 years ago and the same country is totally broke and no money in the kitty.  ;)

35 minutes ago, logiclee said:

Hi Sam,

I'm talking about the discussions you see on the hifi forums where guys have changed from £20 a metre speaker cable to £100 a metre speaker cable and say it's made a noticable improvement and guys in their 60's are considering the upgrade.

I'm sorry I don't get that at all

In our spare bedroom I do have a single chair, a pair of cheaper B&W stand mounts and a Rotel Amp.  The whole system is less than £750. I can sit and enjoy that. I also have a range of headphones and external DAC for personal listing. I can and do enjoy music.  But even in my 40's I used to sit in Sevenoaks demo room and we'd swap out interconnects between modestly priced and high end items, I couldn't tell any difference. 

It amuses me that What Hifi jurno's in their 50's will be singing the praises of new HD headphones because they have a frequency response above 22khz whn you know they probably wont hear anything over 12khz.

That's the Hifi scene for me.

Home cinema is somewhat different, it's more about the enjoyment and the immersiveness. It's a different mindset of those involved.

Agree entirely.

Yours 

Mr Bellwire (Not quite!)

Sam :beardy:   RR Sport HSE Dynamic towing Swift Elegance Grande 845

Very good Fred,

The link below is called, "A Song of Reproduction". From the title may not be what you immediately think of but it also related to Hi-Fi. Listen carefully to the lyrics.

Fourwinds Hurricane 31D Motorhome. Also MGTF135 1. 8i Roadster (fun) & Volvo V70 3.2Ltr LPG (everyday car)
Unless otherwise stated, my posts will be my personal thoughts and have the same standing as any other member of Caravan Talk.

17 hours ago, logiclee said:

But are we wasting money?

Come on, try this. 13000 for me.

I can mange 7000 with hearing aids or my headphones but only 6000 without them, however if I turn the aids up and put the headphones on I can just about mange 8000 but it's more a perception than actually hearing

Edited by matelodave

2018 S-Max Titanium 2. 0 Tdci (177. 54bhp,180ps,132kw) Powershift + 2015 Unicorn III Cadz, Ventura Marlin porch awning

11 minutes ago, matelodave said:

I can mange 7000 with hearing aids or my headphones but only 6000 without them, however if I turn the aids up and put the headphones on I can just about mange 8000 but it's more a perception than actually hearing

7 khz isn't that bad if you hear everything before it.  My wife's at 7khz and she's 50.

There's very little information above 10khz in a normal movie soundtrack and the 5k to 10k range is usually EQ'd up a little to take into account that most cinema's have speakers behind the screen and the theatre is usually full of soft furnishings which deadens the sound.

You'd still probably enjoy a good IMAX experience.

People usually have more problems when they are missing the 3k to 8k bands.

On 18/04/2020 at 09:39, logiclee said:

There is UHD content on Netflix. 

Netflix said they wanted to reduce their data by 25% during the crisis so have dropped the resolution on some shows and have reduced bitrate on others.  So you may still be watching a film in 4k but the bit rate will be lower. This may mean you will see more artifacts such as poor colour gradation or black crush on dark scenes.

I've been involved in Home Cinema for decades, I've done professional installations, I'm a Audyssey Pro calibrator and have been involved and moderated on HC/AV forums for over twenty years.

My username logiclee is due to friends and work colleagues know me as "Logic" and that name I got  in the late 80's while installing lots of Dolby Pro-Logic systems.

My car even has a 1200W, 17 speaker Bowers and Wilkins surround sound system with Dolby Digital and DTS.  For me that was the major selling point. :) 

I built our hi-fi system in the 70s.

It still sounds ace-the grandchildren love to play their BTS "music" on it😀.

BTS-Korean boy band.

Speakers are D-I-Y Hi-Fi Answers Transmission Line Monitors-Clyde Built now on their second set of KEF base units.

Turntable D-I-Y with SME 3009 arm and Shure V15 cartridge.

Amp and pre amp is Quad 303 with matching 33 pre-amp still going strong.

Now my hearing loss is 40% its wasted on me but I cannot bring myself to get rid.

Re HiFi.

Many years ago we were invited into a Bose shop demonstration room.  They played some different things and some TV.  It was extremely impressive.  Afterwards we were asked to vote for which speakers were being used.  There was a choice of different sizes.  The room was highly impressed to discover that it was coming from 3 tiny speakers plus a sub.  Looking at their site they don’t do them like these anymore.  The speakers were in two half’s and the top could be twisted in relation to the bottom.  But it was one of their ‘Lifestyle’ systems.

Good as it was we could not invest that sort of money for what we use.  Current Bose systems seem to be around £3000.  I am not trying to suggest they might come anywhere near a very top end system.  But for a plug and play it certainly impresses.  

It can be a bit of an eye opener to visited one of these demonstration rooms, I would recommend.

On another tact.  A recent TV programme called ‘How to Make’ .  It looks at headphones.  Some interesting points made.  One company showed a soundproof room.  In it he had an array of about 12 identical speakers all in a line and pointing the same way.  The presenter stood in front and walked from left to right.  In turn she could hear 3 distinct types of music, all separate and without disturbance.

The company said they are working towards a car system in which all occupants can have different sound experience.

John

Volvo V70 D3 SE (was Peugeot 4007, SsangYong Korando), Pulling a Lunar Clubman SI 2015. If you are depressed, you are living in the past. If you are anxious, you are living in the future. If you are at peace, you are living in the present.

in my experience Bose is very good....

until you campare it to something really good.  

A seemingly problem free 2010 model Adria Altea 542dk that has more than its fair share of use.

From an installers point of view Bose is good as a plug an play solution for the average consumer who want's a lifestyle size system but it's expensive for what it is.

There are far better options for the money if you want to put the time and effort in.

Bose sell a lot on their reputation now but are not that well regarded in the Hifi or Home Cinema circles

But not nearly on the same par as Beats headphones, most are absolute garbage and not worth half the money. They sell on marketing and getting trendy celebrities to wear them. 

Lee I almost added to my above post, a lot is sales pitch, like beats, ghd's and the likes 

A seemingly problem free 2010 model Adria Altea 542dk that has more than its fair share of use.

My hearing is poor, over 30% down in each ear, I seem to get on better with over-ear headphones, although I have just ordered in-ear TWS to try as cables do not get in the way if I am working in the garden etc..

Anyone tried these budget headphones or able to comment on them. I am thinking of buying them.

Headphones.

1 minute ago, Sea&Sand said:

My hearing is poor, over 30% down in each ear, I seem to get on better with over-ear headphones, although I have just ordered in-ear TWS to try as cables do not get in the way if I am working in the garden etc..

Anyone tried these budget headphones or able to comment on them. I am thinking of buying them.

Headphones.

Not personally but if they are anything like my xiaomi phone you maybe pleasantly surprised. 

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Sea&Sand said:

Headphones.

I now have several pairs of headphones - some wired Sennheiser on ear phones, which sound pretty good and I've had them for probably 30 years but I find them getting pretty uncomfortable, especially with behind the ear hearing aids. Even without the aids they tend to paralyse my ears after prolonged listening.

I've also got some wired Goldring N1000 Noise Cancelling over ear phones which are not bad which I use when I'm on the train to block out other people - obviously not as good as Bose or a decent set of Sony's but OK for what I use them for and they are reasonably comfy for use with the hearing aids.

However the 3.5mm connectors on my laptop and Samsung MP3 player are getting a bit unreliable so I got a pair of these cheap & cheerful Bluetooth noise cancelling headphones from 7 day shop - https://www.7dayshop.com/products/evodx-active-noise-cancelling-bluetooth-5-0-headphones-headset-with-handsfree-mic-ev-052 .

They were about £20 (Christmas prezzie) and I find them not everso bad. the noise cancelling is not as good as the Goldrings but for a cheap pair of BT phones I reckon they are brilliant. I can also use them with hearing aids. I can also wander around with them on and still keep listening proding I dont go out of range. They work OK with the TV, my MP3 player, laptop, tablet and phone and allow me to skip tracks on the MP3 player and adjust the volume. Dunno if they'll make phone calls as well as it's not summat that I'd do.

My wife also has a pair which she uses with her tablet and with a BT transmitter we can use both of them in the caravan with the TV. The price seems to jump up and down a bit with 7dayshop (hers cost £22.99)

matelodave, 

I have two sets of over-ear headphones Sennheiser and Beats, I cannot wear hearing aids when using either of them, the hearing aid just blocks out the sound from the headphones, what am I doing wrong?

Cheers.