Sign in to follow this  
2seaside

What things have you (re)discovered in lockdown?

16 minutes ago, SamD said:

Don't know anything about REL.

Back in the 80's/90's REL were probably the biggest player in Home Cinema Subwoofers.  Their Quake and Storm models were used in many professional installations and their Q models were very popular with smaller home use. 

They were UK based but their success meant they soon had new owners and production was moved abroad. The later models were not as well regarded but they stil produce excellent subs.

The design and build department that was UK based set up their own company and now sell direct to the public. They are known as BKELEC and have many award wining subwoofers. The lack of third party sellers means the subs are excellent value.

I have two of these. http://www.bkelec.com/HiFi/Sub_Woofers/XXLS400FF.htm

Blimey, this is getting more complex than trying to understand a computer programming nerd :blink:

Just wish I understood it all ! 

Andy

• Like 2

Love our Onkyo Dolby Atmos receiver -and it has a phono stage too which is a real bonus. Sounds fantastic when you get a Blu ray that is Atmos encoded, but after reading this I'm glad I took out the Richer Sounds 5 year warranty!

8 minutes ago, Mr Plodd said:

Blimey, this is getting more complex than trying to understand a computer programming nerd :blink:

Andy

Hi Andy,

Atmos and DTS:X are immersive formats.

The sound mixer no longer uses channels but records metadata so the equipment understands where the sound should appear and how loud. The system knows where your speakers are so tries to recreate what the director intended.

There are many ways to try and achieve this at home.

You can go for a full 13 speakers at home including 4 ceiling/height speakers and two subs, or fewer speaker or upward firing speakers for height information.

Some TV's and Soundbars will include upward firing speakers and phase shift speakers to try and recreate an atmos sound field. Some are better than others. And there are atmos headphones.

14 minutes ago, Mr Plodd said:

Andy

I’m sorry I mentioned it in the first place!

17 minutes ago, logiclee said:

Back in the 80's/90's REL were probably the biggest player in Home Cinema Subwoofers.  Their Quake and Storm models were used in many professional installations and their Q models were very popular with smaller home use. 

They were UK based but their success meant they soon had new owners and production was moved abroad. The later models were not as well regarded but they stil produce excellent subs.

The design and build department that was UK based set up their own company and now sell direct to the public. They are known as BKELEC and have many award wining subwoofers. The lack of third party sellers means the subs are excellent value.

I have two of these. http://www.bkelec.com/HiFi/Sub_Woofers/XXLS400FF.htm

I live and learn - Did not know REL's history - I have exactly the same sub but disguised as a coffee table to appease a certain household member!!

20200418_115200.jpg

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
13 minutes ago, SamD said:

I live and learn - Did not know REL's history - I have exactly the same sub but disguised as a coffee table to appease a certain household member!!

20200418_115200.jpg

That's a great job.

I really wanted the BKELEC Monolith but a step to far for my wife. The LAB12 driver that BK use in the Monolith are the same as used in IMAX Cinema's.

Tonight's showing.

image.thumb.png.9efa22ac6c9f833b0012133c89afc2a9.png

Edited by logiclee
  • Like 1

On 15/04/2020 at 18:43, Stevan said:

Alas no, as with most such articles it explains why it is not considered to be necessary to refrigerate eggs, but gives no explanation of why many people actually advise against refrigeration!

One reason frequently offered is that eggshells are porous, so they may absorb smells from other items in the fridge.

So  if you have a smelly fridge, best not to keep eggs in it. Or clean the fridge out.

Another is that most items in a fridge will collect moisture each time the door is opened/closed, and the moisture may penetrate the shell and spoil the egg inside.

I have also read that IF you keep eggs in a fridge, they should only be taken out when you are ready to use them, as the moisture that will form on the cold shell could allow bacteria to form and get onto the egg when you crack the shell.

I don't keep eggs in the fridge, simply because they don't need to be - so I have no idea whether any of the above are right or wrong. Think it's really up to personal preferences.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, Dave Capiro owner said:

I’m sorry I mentioned it in the first place!

The discussion had started well before your post with some members discussing a rediscovery of their love of classic films and problems with downloading apps and sound issues.

As the discussion has shown we have several members who now have more time to enjoy their setups than they did before.

Perhaps not everyone's hobby but neither is fishing or football. We are all different. :)

• I agree completely 2

30 minutes ago, SamD said:

20200418_115200.jpg

There's no way I'd ever get away with that - she'd know it was a speaker. Even our small subwoofer has to be hidden behind the furniture or the TV stand so it cant be seen.

I can only just get away with my rear speakers because they are small and hidden behind the curtains.

• Haha 1
  • I agree completely 1

Posted (edited)

Discovered Duchy Baking Potatoes. Only ones in stock at the beginning of lockdown and absolutely delicious

Edited by Orange

1 hour ago, logiclee said:

Hi Andy,

Atmos and DTS:X are immersive formats.

The sound mixer no longer uses channels but records metadata so the equipment understands where the sound should appear and how loud. The system knows where your speakers are so tries to recreate what the director intended.

There are many ways to try and achieve this at home.

You can go for a full 13 speakers at home including 4 ceiling/height speakers and two subs, or fewer speaker or upward firing speakers for height information.

Some TV's and Soundbars will include upward firing speakers and phase shift speakers to try and recreate an atmos sound field. Some are better than others. And there are atmos headphones.

I am even MORE confused now :blink:

I do like quality sound  when listening to music but I don’t think I would go as far as you have done (only a small lounge) but I am certainly not going to criticise  you. 

I have a pal who is really into Hi Fi, I can certainly hear a difference between his (multi hundred pound) set up and my “tin can” one. Not sure that the extra quality is worth the money though. 

Having said that he runs an old banger and I like to drive something much newer with much more in the way of”toys” so I have probably spent much more on my “hobby” over the years than he has. All down to personal choice innit? 

I DO have a half decent (by my standards) sound bar because the TV’s speakers are worse than carp! 

Andy

On 17/04/2020 at 11:46, Allan Guest said:

We used t'dream about t'patio.

we used to call it a back yard, but now we have put a few slabs down we now have a patio:)

• Haha 1

On 17/04/2020 at 12:02, kelper said:

Often it is the actor's sound quality that is lacking!

We often have a moan about the sound on Dramas  on the TV, (yeah we have all the kit), but since the lockdown we have been on the BBCi player more and we're watching the old series of Silent Witness, never watched them the first time around,  and the sound is fine, which makes me think that it's the way they are made in the first place. 

Posted (edited)

My daughter and her kids 10 and 12 have now been isolated together for the past month and they have discovered each other as a family. She's a teacher but not allowed to go to school as she's a vulnerable person (severe asthma) so they've all been indoors since the schools closed. 

They've got a routine, the kids are doing their lessons via the internet and Mum is teaching her pupils using Zoom and the internet but they now have so much more family time together.

My 13 year old granddaughter has been learning to sew and my 10 year old grandson has been learning to programme a BBC Microbit. They've played together far more than they've done for a long time, there's a lot less poking and prodding and they have all become so much happier as a family. Even my daughter is a lot less stressed than she was.

Dad still has to go off on a Monday morning and doesn't come home till Friday night as he is still working (he's a civil engineering project manger coordinating  construction work on several  water treatment plants in Yorkshire) but even so they have much more time together over the weekends rather than having to cram all the chores into just two days.

So on a positive, that's one family that's actually rediscovered themselves and are a lot happier for it.

Edited by matelodave
  • Like 2

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, matelodave said:

There's no way I'd ever get away with that - she'd know it was a speaker. Even our small subwoofer has to be hidden behind the furniture or the TV stand so it cant be seen.

I can only just get away with my rear speakers because they are small and hidden behind the curtains.

My wife is severely limited as to what she can do due to spinal issues and even struggles with pub/restaurant for more than an hour.

As such our social life is mainly inviting friends and family round for a drink, meal and movie.

So I get away with a lot.

Front three speakers with sub to the right,  four surround speakers to the side and rear, four ceiling speakers and another sub to the rear.

This video was taken on a phone with a mono microphone so you have to imagine birds flying around the room, rain falling from the sky and ground shaking bass.

Edited by logiclee

22 minutes ago, matelodave said:

So on a positive, that's one family that's actually rediscovered themselves and are a lot happier for it.

That's good to hear.

All we see on the news is how the Domestic Violence and Divorce rates will increase. :(

Posted (edited)

Very nice and summat I'd go for but SWMBO wouldn't let me.

We used to have a pretty decent stereo set up but even then she whinged about the wires to the speakers and the dust that settled on the turntable cover so after over 50 years together I just have what I can get away with :( 

I've even had to increase the size of the TV in stages rather than going big in one go but I reckon the 55" one that we've now got is about the limit. Even the amplifier, DVD and Sky box have to be hidden away so she cant see them or the wiring.

Here's ours - the L-C-R speakers are in the soundbar in the slot under the TV and the units are housed in the obscure glass cabinets under that. It's nor bad but could be better (I've got a couple of big NAD floor standing speakers but nowhere to connect them to anymore)

IMG_20200418_151833118_HDR.jpg

Edited by matelodave

Posted (edited)
49 minutes ago, matelodave said:

Very nice and summat I'd go for but SWMBO wouldn't let me.

The one big thing for my wife is that for some reason the younger members of our family always want to visit.

I can't imagine why.

You can't beat Tie Fighters overhead. (PS4)

My Nephew is really upset he can't vist.

The autoexposure on my phone has blown the highlights out a bit in the snow on the video.

Edited by logiclee

6 hours ago, Mr Plodd said:

Andy

Let Flanders & Swann help you out ...Song of Reproduction (1957)

But are we wasting money?

Come on, try this. 13000 for me.

Posted (edited)

5000 with a hearing aid in one ear, guess that any old cheap tat headphones will be good enough for me so long as they produce volume :D

Edited by Sea&Sand

4 minutes ago, Sea&Sand said:

5000 with a hearing aid in one ear, guess that any old cheap tat headphones will be good enough for me so long as they produce volume :D

It surprises me that people thinking of spending serious money on audio equipment don't routinely have their hearing tested for both range and response.

I have today ordered Haylou GT1 Pro earbuds, cheap but with good reviews, I certainly no longer have discerning hearing, not that my hearing was ever particularly discerning.

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Black Grouse said:

It surprises me that people thinking of spending serious money on audio equipment don't routinely have their hearing tested for both range and response.

I have mine done annually through work and have done for over 30 years. Slightly above average for my age and no sign of industrial deafness.

I really look after my hearing at work but it amazes me how some people just don't care.  Lost count how many times I've told people to put their ear protection on. It will bother them later in life.

I love live music concerts though and heavy metal. My one big weakness. 

Edited by logiclee