What things have you (re)discovered in lockdown?

Pretty sure that most of us in lockdown have rediscovered things we thought we had forgotten about.

I have found a 10 year our WII that still works! (mind you, the TV is 13 years old, so they are of a similar age). After a few mishaps getting it set up, practised table tennis, bowls, and frisbee. Golf tomorrow.

And I have also discovered that I can hold my breath for the entire chilled section in Asda. And no, I have no idea what good it will do - but I found that I was doing it automatically (the chilled sections always seems the most crowded).

We normally travel for about 280 nights a year, so home gets neglected!
I have discovered:

1 My back garden, Just tidying up, it can stay as a wild life haven!
Our gardener does the font garden

2 A lot of out of date food in the back of the cupboards, some from 2011 when we started long term travelling!

3 The bottom of the chest freezer! Some stuff has been binned, the rest has produced some great meals!

2019 Bailey Platinum (640) Phoenix from Chipping Sodbury caravans, towed by our  2017 my Discovery Sport!

6 minutes ago, PR1 said:

We normally travel for about 280 nights a year, so home gets neglected!
I have discovered:

1 My back garden, Just tidying up, it can stay as a wild life haven!
Our gardener does the font garden

2 A lot of out of date food in the back of the cupboards, some from 2011 when we started long term travelling!

3 The bottom of the chest freezer! Some stuff has been binned, the rest has produced some great meals!

I don't worry too much about dates on food labels.

If it looks and smells OK, I'm generally happy. If not sure, I get the cat to sniff it. If she sniffs and doesn't jump back in horror, it's OK.

I recall a programme on the radio about this some time ago. 

A couple of friends went on holiday to somewhere pretty remote and basic with a group of people. All but the speaker and his friend got tummy trouble. When they chatted about this, both discovered that they had the same attitude to date labels as I have described. So on their return, they dug out all the out of date food in their cupboards and had a great big meal, without any side effects.

Perhaps they had built up a bit of resistance to dodgy microbes?

5 minutes ago, kelper said:

Tinned food keeps indefinitely if it was canned commercially.  Dried foods too.  

Agreed, but just check the top of the can hasn't developed a bulge, which indicates it's gone off. That's actually very rare these days.

1 hour ago, daveat92 said:

I don't worry too much about dates on food labels.

If it looks and smells OK, I'm generally happy. If not sure, I get the cat to sniff it. If she sniffs and doesn't jump back in horror, it's OK.

I recall a programme on the radio about this some time ago. 

A couple of friends went on holiday to somewhere pretty remote and basic with a group of people. All but the speaker and his friend got tummy trouble. When they chatted about this, both discovered that they had the same attitude to date labels as I have described. So on their return, they dug out all the out of date food in their cupboards and had a great big meal, without any side effects.

Perhaps they had built up a bit of resistance to dodgy microbes?

Agreed, but just check the top of the can hasn't developed a bulge, which indicates it's gone off. That's actually very rare these days.

Good advice.  The tin must be free of dents, especially along the seams.  If a can has leaked, bin it.

Two discoveries for me:

I decided to open up the side entrance / pathway to the back garden.  It hasn't been usable for around 40 years due to being taken over by brambles and holly.

It took me two days of cutting my way through and that's when I discovered tangled in in the brambles about 20 yards of barbed wire.  The other discovery was that I had nothing to cut the wire with.  The cutting anvil on my Moles Grips was hard work, and with lots, and I do mean lots of tinder dry dead vegetation, an angle grinder was out of the question.  I needed, for the first time in my life , a set of bolt cutters.

Fortunately, a local hardware store that also sells some food, such as biscuits , was open and for £12.09 the barbed wire was tackled and is now gone!

image.png

Edited by Wunny

I started building a model railway in the loft 14 years ago but didn’t get very far, it’s now re-awakened my interest and has kept me entertained/busy/out of the way.

2018 Volvo V90 and 2018 Swift Sprite Quattro EB

I have just learned to read books again, I now have more patience than I did many years ago when I last read a book,

I am so totally stressless:D.  I am also totally relaxed. I take things easy and do things when I feel like doing it.  I just go with the flow now:D

My wife has found many things that needed painting, I have found that my knees and leg muscles do not enjoy going up and down steps or ladders while I am doing the painting 😀

12 minutes ago, Babstreefern said:

I am so totally stressless:D.  I am also totally relaxed. I take things easy and do things when I feel like doing it.  I just go with the flow now:D

Can I have some a lot of what you are on :D

I’ve found that the excuse I haven’t got time for that is actually not the real reason for not doing it. 

I've discovered that Facebook doesn't have a button marked " This person is bat ***** crazy" so you can unfriend and delete all the very weird stuff they have shared on your posts.  :(

How to bake good bread in the oven after many attempts. Finding out our neighbours kids are not that bad really!   That more people will Talk  (at distance)  than ever before . I can access the countryside much easier on foot than I thought and still reach areas I know,  on my dog walks. The quietness of a garden shed in the sunshine with a cup of tea and a book. 

15 hours ago, 2seaside said:

Pretty sure that most of us in lockdown have rediscovered things we thought we had forgotten about.

Yep! Days appear longer. There is less rush to do things straight away. More is being achieved BUT I cannot get rid of rubbish now accumulating at the side of the house because the waste centres are closed and I am frustrated when I look at jobs I could easily and safely do - if only I could go out to buy the materials needed to complete them.

Fourwinds Hurricane 31D Motorhome. Also MGTF135 1. 8i Roadster (fun) & Volvo V70 3.2Ltr LPG (everyday car)
Unless otherwise stated, my posts will be my personal thoughts and have the same standing as any other member of Caravan and Motorhome Talk.

3 minutes ago, Gordon said:

Yep! Days appear longer. There is less rush to do things straight away. More is being achieved BUT I cannot get rid of rubbish now accumulating at the side of the house because the waste centres are closed and I am frustrated when I look at jobs I could easily and safely do - if only I could go out to buy the materials needed to complete them.

Lots of DIY stuff can be delivered?

Edited by Guest

7 minutes ago, kelper said:

Lots of DIY stuff can be delivered?

Yes, and some already has been delivered and used but I need to dispose of some of the "old stuff" and waste materials now to make room for the new - so it's catch 22.

Fourwinds Hurricane 31D Motorhome. Also MGTF135 1. 8i Roadster (fun) & Volvo V70 3.2Ltr LPG (everyday car)
Unless otherwise stated, my posts will be my personal thoughts and have the same standing as any other member of Caravan and Motorhome Talk.

Tried to buy compost from B&Q for Click & Collect and went right through process to register and onto Checkout only to then be told that there was no stock!  B&Q we have to go past on the way back from Morrisons as it is in the same one way road system.

13 hours ago, flashgordon said:

I've discovered that Facebook doesn't have a button marked " This person is bat ***** crazy" so you can unfriend and delete all the very weird stuff they have shared on your posts.  :(

Yes there is, it's called 'Unfollow' go to your friends list, click on their name and then Unfollow.  They don't know you've done it, unlike 'Unfriend' which sends them a notification that you don't like them anymore and 'Block' which hides you from them ever finding you again.

1 hour ago, Wunny said:

unlike 'Unfriend' which sends them a notification that you don't like them anymore and 'Block' which hides you from them ever finding you again.

No, if you unfriend someone it doesn't send them any notifications.  I have done it to a few where their somewhat extremist views showed a side to them that I had never seen before (even one immediate family member).

16 hours ago, GaryB1969 said:

No, if you unfriend someone it doesn't send them any notifications.  I have done it to a few where their somewhat extremist views showed a side to them that I had never seen before (even one immediate family member).

Yes it does, on the 'Friend Request' icon, between 'Create' & 'Messages' it will show -1.  Get someone to unfriend you to see.

I was unfriended yesterday by someone, who I only met once about 10 years ago, which is how I know.

Edited by Wunny

I have just discovered that the Welsh Government as they call themselves have sent the letters for the vulnerable to the wrong addresses, am I surprised, no.  It was a good job our GP rang and told us to self isolate as we were told by our GP that we were and would expect a letter  

40 minutes ago, Wunny said:

Yes it does, on the 'Friend Request' icon, between 'Create' & 'Messages' it will show -1.  Get someone to unfriend you to see.

I was unfriended yesterday by someone, who I only met once about 10 years ago, which is how I know.

You live & learn! I’ll look at that later, thanks.

Just got my wife to do it and nothing shows? Maybe something in settings?