Jump to content

Recommended Posts

So everything cancelled that we had booked up to the end of June. So what to do?

 

Our friends have a new van they have not used (other than on their drive), other friends have a new motorhome not had chance to use and we just sit in our caravan on the drive. So what to do?

 

We phoned a CS we have all been to before and said "when you open, book us in, then phone us and tell us when we are coming". So we are booked, don't know when but at least we have something to look forward to!I 

  • Like 5
Link to post
Share on other sites

Seems like a half decent plan! 

 

Andy

 

 

  • I agree completely 1

Experience is an awful teacher who ends up sending you simply horrifying bills

Link to post
Share on other sites

hope the weather keeps fine for you, isn't it sickening with this glorious weather we're having now and nowhere to go.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Good for you parlourbarn.

Weve had 2 cancelled in April&May but have fingers(and legs)crossed for West Bay in August and Brixham in September.

Link to post
Share on other sites

I thought it was an excellent idea as well.  In fact in the words of the song (well nearly).

 

We'll meet again.

We know where, don't know when

But I know that we'll be there on some sweet day.

Edited by Alan Stanley

Kia KX 3 auto / Bailey Alicanto Grande Estoril and Swift Challenger 570 (2010 model Not towed - used as a static)
 

Link to post
Share on other sites

July is booked, so is August. Now about to book September and October. November and December were booked last year!

We have to look on the bright side!

It will be over one day, I just hope that I live that long!

2019 Bailey Platinum (640) Phoenix from Chipping Sodbury caravans, towed by our  2017 my Discovery Sport!

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

I think the lockdown will keep getting lifted and reimposed depending on the capabilities of the NHS. Until theres a vaccine then the risk won't go away. I'll be happy to go for short breaks where we can take most of our food with us, but whilst being prepared to come home early if we choose to.

Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, parlourbarn said:

We phoned a CS we have all been to before and said "when you open, book us in, then phone us and tell us when we are coming". So we are booked, don't know when but at least we have something to look forward to!I 

So you have a "mystery holiday" to look forward to - good for you!

While, like others, other trips were planned this year, the only firm booking is a site in the midlands to coincide with the October NEC show - if allowed out by then, and if the NEC show runs . . . . . . . .

Gordon.

Fourwinds Hurricane 31D Motorhome. Also MGTF135 1. 8i Roadster (fun) & Volvo V70 3.2Ltr LPG (everyday car)
Unless otherwise stated, my posts will be my personal thoughts and have the same standing as any other member of Caravan Talk.

Link to post
Share on other sites

That is not a bad idea, as when restrictions are finally lifted there will be a scramble to get any pitch as most of us will want to get away in the van

Edited by Les Medes

Les

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
45 minutes ago, Gordon said:

So you have a "mystery holiday" to look forward to - good for you!

While, like others, other trips were planned this year, the only firm booking is a site in the midlands to coincide with the October NEC show - if allowed out by then, and if the NEC show runs . . . . . . . .

Gordon.

Do hope it runs. We have a firm booking for that week as we expect to be working.   In the mean time who knows.  Stay safe

  • Like 1

Kia KX 3 auto / Bailey Alicanto Grande Estoril and Swift Challenger 570 (2010 model Not towed - used as a static)
 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Even if the lock down is lifted we will be very wary of where we would be going if the Covid-19 is still around and probably only choose a CL however all CLs are closed until end of June so snookered anyway!

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 14/04/2020 at 09:32, Durbanite said:

Even if the lock down is lifted we will be very wary of where we would be going if the Covid-19 is still around and probably only choose a CL however all CLs are closed until end of June so snookered anyway!

Funny how some Holiday companies are choosing June as a re-open date, when there is nothing to suggest the Gov.uk ordered closure will be lifted.

 

Everything I have read and heard suggests lockdown will be lifted in a staggered way, I would have thought the mass transit of people would be the last thing to be given the green light.

 

With that in mind, I wouldnt be surprised if caravan sites didnt open until September!

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

I tend to agree. I see no point in booking June dates. Have booked some for August with CAMH but I am doubtful we will be able to use them, but will wait and see.

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Wellys and Mac said:

Funny how some Holiday companies are choosing June as a re-open date, when there is nothing to suggest the Gov.uk ordered closure will be lifted.

 

Think that may be less to do with optimism about genuinely being able to resume operations and more about maintaining cash flow and/or limiting liabilities.   My daughter and husband had booked to go to Crete for a week in June to celebrate their 40th birthdays.  Because the company is currently saying it will run they have to stump up the balance shortly or will forfeit the deposit.

Link to post
Share on other sites
39 minutes ago, Stockcroft said:

Think that may be less to do with optimism about genuinely being able to resume operations and more about maintaining cash flow and/or limiting liabilities.   My daughter and husband had booked to go to Crete for a week in June to celebrate their 40th birthdays.  Because the company is currently saying it will run they have to stump up the balance shortly or will forfeit the deposit.

 

Thats a tough decision for them to make. No way would I be going abroad this year, but to willingly give up their deposit will hurt. Best outcome is they pay the balance and the holiday gets cancelled, and refund given. But if it doesn't get cancelled they have then paid for a holiday that they probably choose not to go on, and lose everything. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

We were booked to go away first week in May to Haggerston Castle.

Just an received e-mail from Haven telling us that if we don’t ask for a refund they’ll let us rebook at a date upto Oct2021 and give us a £50 food and drink voucher.

As the holiday only cost £45 it’s a bit of a no brainier.

Duncan

61 Santa Fe & 2011 Bailey Olympus 624

Link to post
Share on other sites
22 hours ago, Stockcroft said:

Think that may be less to do with optimism about genuinely being able to resume operations and more about maintaining cash flow and/or limiting liabilities.   My daughter and husband had booked to go to Crete for a week in June to celebrate their 40th birthdays.  Because the company is currently saying it will run they have to stump up the balance shortly or will forfeit the deposit.

Surely they took out insurance so even if they stumped up the balanced and the booking then got cancelled, the insurance would pay up?

Link to post
Share on other sites

I think that as no official advice has been given that you should not travel in June then the company can still work on the theory they can go. It is only when official advice is not to travel that the travel company will cancel. They are struggling in the current lock down and will not normally accept that a holiday will not go ahead until it is impossible.

You have to decide if you want to pay the balance knowing the holiday is unlikely and even that the travel company might not survive that long, or just lose the deposit.

If the company does have to cancel, all money paid should be refunded, although some companies are very difficult to get to pay up, trying to make you accept vouchers for use later.

Before deciding, and assuming there is insurance you need to weigh up the pros and cons and check the insurance policy to see what exactly the cancelation cover is, and make sure it covers the travel company going out of business. Not all policies are the same, so you need to know exactly what it says.

If they do pay the balance, they should use a credit card to get the protection that gives.

Edited by Wildwood
Link to post
Share on other sites

An excellent suggestion Parlourbarn and we have done exactly the same thing regarding our favourite CS which we should have been on at the moment. The owners have become good friends of ours, over the years, and I know they will ring me as soon as they are able to open - if I'm not already aware!

The only other site I have booked is at Sandringham for Christmas - just wondering if we'll be allowed to go???

VW Touareg Escape towing a 2018 Knaus Starclass 695

Link to post
Share on other sites

My city break to Naples on 15 March was cancelled, but I did ask for it to be re-dated to 13 September.  This was my break from having spent visiting my lovely hubby in hospital every day from December to August when he sadly died.  I also booked my first solo trip and first towing of our caravan to Shrewsbury which I should have gone this Sunday just gone (the 19th).  Until I did that trip, I didn't really want to book anywhere else, but I did want to book to Henley on 26 July, as its my granddaughter's wedding on the 1 August, and it was far cheaper going for a week as Swiss Family than spending two nights in the hotel, where the wedding is in Windsor:D

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 19/04/2020 at 11:39, Stockcroft said:

My daughter and husband had booked to go to Crete for a week in June to celebrate their 40th birthdays.  Because the company is currently saying it will run they have to stump up the balance shortly or will forfeit the deposit.

 

I wouldn't want to be going abroad this year regardless of any lifting of lockdowns etc. What if Greece experiences another wave of Covid during their holiday, will flights home be operating as normal?

The travel agent might allow them to move the holiday to next year, or offer vouchers to the same value? I'd be exploring that route personally.

Link to post
Share on other sites

We have a site and tickets for the British Grand Prix booked for July and if this is cancelled it will be the fifth time on the run trying to get to the GP and having to cancel . Seems like we are jinxed.

Link to post
Share on other sites

I caravanned inside Silverstone in 2012, Woodlands site I believe it was called? Hamilton started in pole position that year but pulled out with a shredded tyre. I had a grandstand seat by the start/finish line, and a view of the pits.

 

I booked a pitch with electric and it was perfect for walking to the track each morning.

Be warned that the pitches are crammed together in long rows marked out with white painted lines on the grass, and depending on the size of your caravan and awning you might not manage to fit your car on as well, and will have to park it up against the woods instead. It will probably get blocked in by other cars so don't expect to drive anywhere during your stay.

Also, the electricity is supplied by massive generators, almost as big as a caravan itself, and they are bloody noisy. If you were pitched right next to one then I'm not sure how you would sleep at night as they run 24/7.

 

But it's great to caravan by the track, and a brill atmosphere.

 

Edited by Guest
Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, grumpyone said:

We have a site and tickets for the British Grand Prix booked for July and if this is cancelled it will be the fifth time on the run trying to get to the GP and having to cancel . Seems like we are jinxed.

BBC F1 site suggesting all European races will be run behind closed doors and possibly two races at some venues on consecutive weekends.

 

Ian

2018 Range Rover Sport AB,  2015 Buccaneer Cruiser.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

×
×
  • Create New...