Sign in to follow this  
2seaside

which retailers will be the busiest after this?

15 minutes ago, Tuningdrew said:

I like your thinking. Maybe we won’t need the new runway at Heathrow. Obliquely HS2 could then become more useful if extended up to the Scotland and used as a trunking service linking local rail routes as pre Beeching. Time for the railway operators/franchises to step up their game and act together. 

I too like the thinking about Heathrow but whether an extended HS2 is viable I'm not so sure. While rail could take an increased proportion of current air passengers if there's the will to do it by appropriate pricing, freight still needs to be distributed to locations well off of the rail routes so may not be so easy to change.

27 minutes ago, Silversurf said:

.... I wonder if there will be a sustained increase in internet purchases when we get the all clear, there has been an increase since COVID surfaced and  I presume some of the increase will be folk who have never made internet purchases previously who may continue after.....

I think there will be many examples of changes in people's behaviour caused by Covid which do not return to their pre Covid state. Just a few examples, using contactless cards, supermarket home delivery, online banking, being more conscious of exercise, maintaining contact with friends and loved ones. In fact I doubt there are many things that will return 100% to their pre Covid state.   

40 minutes ago, Tuningdrew said:

I like your thinking. Maybe we won’t need the new runway at Heathrow. Obliquely HS2 could then become more useful if extended up to the Scotland and used as a trunking service linking local rail routes as pre Beeching. Time for the railway operators/franchises to step up their game and act together. 

If businesses adopt working from home and remote conferencing, having been forced to during the lockdown, then the need for HS2 may evaporate

20 minutes ago, Black Grouse said:

If businesses adopt working from home and remote conferencing, having been forced to during the lockdown, then the need for HS2 may evaporate

How can something which was only ever imaginary "evaporate"?

• Haha 1

Just now, Stevan said:

HS2 will meet a need for extra capacity - before Covid-19 that need was very clear.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Tuningdrew said:

I regularly used to travel to Scotland by train, the lines through much of the north of England are so good that the expense of an extended HS2 would never be justified, although what does that matter?

The problem as I see it with rail travel in the UK is quite primarily the cost. It may take longer in a car but when the rail cost is compared with the cost of fuel for the car, the car wins every time by quite a margin. Add to that the convenience of the car delivering me point to point and I can travel whenever I like, compared with additional hassle if carrying goods, and the customised part of the journey to and from a station at each end and it becomes a "no brainer" - especially if two or more people travel in the car.

Sorry to sound negative but money and convenience are enough for me to choose a car most of the time.

• Like 1
  • I agree completely 1

Sorry to sound negative but money and convenience are enough for me to choose a car most of the time. And that is why after this is all over we will I think just carry on as normal. Also reading through this post some of you think this lockdown will last the rest of the year but I have a feeling it will end a lot sooner than that

23 minutes ago, rutlandwarrior said:

. . .  some of you think this lockdown will last the rest of the year but I have a feeling it will end a lot sooner than that

I hope if it is appropriate, you are right. None of us wants to stay locked down like this any longer than necessary.

5 hours ago, Mr Plodd said:

Holiday companies!

Everyone will be SO keen to “Get away” 

Andy

Caravan & motorhome dealerships ? Many people may not want to fly again due to the possible increased risk of catching anything after sitting with a few hundred strangers for a couple of hours so they may decide to invest in their own holiday home on wheels

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, Townie said:

Barbers, PLEASE. My Mrs has already made a few veiled "suggestions" regarding my hair,  her scissors and my beard trimmer complete with the various length settings. (I can see me with a number one if I'm not careful).

Nothing wrong with  a no 1, I've been sporting one for years!

• I agree completely 1

5 hours ago, Townie said:

Barbers, PLEASE. My Mrs has already made a few veiled "suggestions" regarding my hair,  her scissors and my beard trimmer complete with the various length settings. (I can see me with a number one if I'm not careful).

Several months ago & after getting fed up forking out £35 every 6 weeks to get my Springer Spaniel trimmed I invested in some dog grooming clippers. After going to Tesco's on Thursday to get some essentials I also tried to get some hair clippers, unfortunately they were sold out & cannot give a date when they will have any (understandable), so yesterday & after a few cans of Thatchers I plonked a chair in the garden, got the dog clippers out & gave myself a number 2 all over !! I now get a overwhelming desire to cock my leg on the patio furniture but at least my head isn't so hot.

• Like 2
  • Haha 4

27 minutes ago, Flinty said:

Caravan & motorhome dealerships ? Many people may not want to fly again due to the possible increased risk of catching anything after sitting with a few hundred strangers for a couple of hours so they may decide to invest in their own holiday home on wheels

Now with the Caravan & Motorhome dealerships, things will be interesting, there will be all that speculative 2020 MY stock the dealers had ordered, that nobody buying later in the year will be interested in taking without a big discount.

How will the dealers who typically work on a healthy margin business model, going to manage?

1 hour ago, Gordon said:

I hope if it is appropriate, you are right. None of us wants to stay locked down like this any longer than necessary.

I think it will be stop start to let the NHS cope and businesses to survive 

In truth, none of us knows how this will pan out but we can always hope . . . 

Gordon.

4 hours ago, Dave Capiro owner said:

Oxon hall. We went to the Morris site at Ludlow and were impressed so decided to try another this august. Hopefully they’ll be up and running by then

Hey, that's where I was going next weekend - Sunday to Sunday.  It would have been my first trip towing a caravan as my other half passed away last year, and I'd done a caravan towing course.  Its only two hours from where I live, so it would have given me half motorway and half main road.  The course I'd gone on had a caravan meant for training purposes, so it was completely empty inside of everything, it was only a shell, where my caravan will be packed up so much heavier to tow

It's the pub every time in first place then beauty parlours and hairdressers and then shops.

A big rush  or a trickle depending on how long the lockdown lasts, a lot of people are going to come out of this with a lot of debts.  Rent and mortgage payments as well as loans have been deferred,  but the debt is still there  and collecting interest.  So there may not be as much disposable cash around  as before. 

2 minutes ago, Babstreefern said:

The course I'd gone on had a caravan meant for training purposes, so it was completely empty inside of everything, it was only a shell, where my caravan will be packed up so much heavier to tow

Heavier - yes - but actually much easier to tow as it will tend to be less skittish. You'll soon get the feel of what is normal once able to venture out again. 

Something to look forward to eh?

1 hour ago, Flinty said:

People who fly away on holiday generally wants it all done for them, not be emptying their own toilet. I think you’re way off with that one.

• I agree completely 2

IF we enter a recession after all of this those businesses that survive might well find themselves facing a very steep climb to get back to normal.  There are a good many out there with large mortgages requiring two incomes to pay them.  We know a few families in this situation and one where both have been furloughed and are now struggling to pay bills.

6 minutes ago, GaryB1969 said:

IF we enter a recession after all of this those businesses that survive might well find themselves facing a very steep climb to get back to normal.  There are a good many out there with large mortgages requiring two incomes to pay them.  We know a few families in this situation and one where both have been furloughed and are now struggling to pay bills.

I do wonder about that. If both partners are on 80% and are at home with no travel or other work related expenses, plus no pub, no eat out etc. I would have thought they might be about even?

• I agree completely 1

2 minutes ago, staffordshirechina said:

I do wonder about that. If both partners are on 80% and are at home with no travel or other work related expenses, plus no pub, no eat out etc. I would have thought they might be about even?

No doubt that there will be a few who are better off, but many will be worse off. There are also many who do not qualify for the 80%, for various reasons.

4 hours ago, Stevan said:

The amount of work that has already been done in this area can not just evaporate .Bridge foundations over motorways and the huge areas that have been cleared.

Posted (edited)
5 minutes ago, g7eor said:

The amount of work that has already been done in this area can not just evaporate .Bridge foundations over motorways and the huge areas that have been cleared.

I did not say that the work was imaginary, or the cost, just that the need was imaginary!

The solution to overcrowded railways is not to run bigger, faster trains, but to reduce the desire for rail travel. The whole idea of having offices in one town or city staffed by people from towns progressively further away is just plain silly!

Edited by Stevan

26 minutes ago, staffordshirechina said:

I was referring to afterwards should one lose their job and a slump in the housing market sees a good many with negative equity