Sign in to follow this  
Tstokes

Broken door Handle on swift challenger

Hi my handle of my 2013 swift challenger is not working its opening from the outside but inside it’s going up and down but not opening or locking the door does anyone know what it could be as I’ve had to use a knife to open the lock after I got locked in!

:welcome: to Caravan Talk, Tstokes.

I’m guessing it’s a Hartal lock, but as there’s so many different makes and models it may be best if you post a photo.

John

I’m not with the caravan it’s in storage at the moment but it is a Hartal lock would you no anyway for me to fix it myself?

Posted (edited)
25 minutes ago, Tstokes said:

I’m not with the caravan it’s in storage at the moment but it is a Hartal lock would you no anyway for me to fix it myself?

Assuming the ‘triangular’ Hartal handle set... 

Take the inside assembly from the door - one screw each under the red and the green dots which are exceedingly difficult if not impossible to remove without marking them and two screws under the curved badge set in the interior handle.  

The outer handle will fall out too once the four screws are out so hold on to it and remove it until you ready to fit the lock back together on the  door.

Once removed from the door, the workings within the inside handle will be entirely open for inspection and it will be evident whether something has slipped out of place or broken.  They are not at all complex mechanisms as you will see but if something has broken beyond repair then the inner handle assembly is readily available from caravan spares suppliers, auction sites etc.

From memory, the earlier black turn to open sets are virtually identical mechanisms - just a different shape but don’t quote me on that.

Edited by ReggiePerrin

Thank you very much I’ll give it a try an I’ll let you no if it works thanks!