Can you believe it.  This seems to be a serious requests for funds.  There are certainly some buffoons about

https://www.crowdfunder.co.uk/getwellboris

• Sad 1

I dooo not belieeeeeeeve it

If that is the way people feel about it good on them, but giving money to buy him a present,  No

While I wish him well, starting a fund to buy a present is a bit odd. I show my gratitude to a PM by where I choose to cast my vote.

• Like 1
  • I agree completely 1

Posted (edited)

There is Talk about his leadership, but all along Johnson (and all his ministerial colleagues) have consistently deferred to the fact that they are following the advice of the medical experts. Surely it is the medics that have lead the way in our response. 

Prior to this event Johnson has been responsible for leadership, but that has not been good in the eyes of many people. Look at this letter from a junior doctor, Andrew Meyers, published early last December before the pandemic took hold. 

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2019/dec/10/doctor-johnson-thousands-deaths-nhs-patient

It will be interesting to see how the relationship between the NHS and government plays out once we're into the post Covid19 era. 

Edited by jetA1
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, jetA1 said:

There is Talk about his leadership, but all along Johnson (and all his ministerial colleagues) have consistently deferred to the fact that they are following the advice of the medical experts...

I prefer that to Trump, who seems to make it up as he goes along?

• I agree completely 1

Valid points he makes, but you cannot blame Mr Johnson, the problems go way before this government, look who published the letter, I say no more, any dig at the Conservatives and this cr@p newspaper will publish it

• I disagree 1
  • I agree completely 5

Ohhh politics creeping in?😂

Some interesting points in the junior doctor's letter published in the Grauniad back in December.

With reference to the number of deaths caused by queuing to get into A&E I wonder what the situation is currently.

Poor old Boris is being kicked up and down social media and apparently is the cause of every catastrophy since WW2.

• I agree completely 1

6 hours ago, jetA1 said:

There is Talk about his leadership, but all along Johnson (and all his ministerial colleagues) have consistently deferred to the fact that they are following the advice of the medical experts. Surely it is the medics that have lead the way in our response

They constantly say this.   No one ever asks them what the question was.   If the question was.  What do we need to do to mitigate the effects of a future pandemic?   It will be a different answer to if the question was.   We are entering a pandemic with few tests, not enough PPE and fewer ICU beds than most developed countries,  in those conditions what can we do?

• I agree completely 1

The govt is following the Science. That's what they keep saying. Thank heavens they are doing that and not following the politics. 

• I agree completely 3

27 minutes ago, WispMan said:

The govt is following the Science. That's what they keep saying. Thank heavens they are doing that and not following the politics. 

Couldn't agree more - I certainly feel that most of the advice is based on serious scientific evidence and theory than the random rantings of Piers Morgan  and other assorted nutters who think they know better. Lord help us if they were in charge, it's nothing to do with politics.

The sooner some folk actually realise that virus's don't really have political agenda then the better they'd appreciate what is going on

• Like 1
  • I agree completely 4

1 hour ago, matelodave said:

Couldn't agree more - I certainly feel that most of the advice is based on serious scientific evidence and theory than the random rantings of Piers Morgan  and other assorted nutters who think they know better. Lord help us if they were in charge, it's nothing to do with politics.

The sooner some folk actually realise that virus's don't really have political agenda then the better they'd appreciate what is going on

Not to mention Jeremy whatsisnane

• I agree completely 1

Mistaken date on the post-----should have been April 1st.

Posted (edited)

I think we can learn from the actions of S Korea regarding testing programmes and tracing /isolating possible carriers to limit the spread of a future pandemic. I also firmly believe that the barbaric wet markets of China must be eliminated. Either voluntarily or if necessary apply worldwide force by trade and cultural sanctions against China. 
My feeling also is we should be shopping local after this rather than buying cheap Chinese goods we should be looking to produce better quality items realistically priced at home to get our economy kickstarted. Knocking exorbitant commercial rents on the head would help fledgling industries to get started, it would also revive our flagging retail sector if shop rents were fairly set. 
maybe too simplistic??

Edited by Tuningdrew
Typo
  • I agree completely 1

5 minutes ago, Tuningdrew said:

I think we can learn from the actions of S Korea regarding testing programmes and tracing /isolating possible carriers to limit the spread of a future pandemic. I also firmly believe that the barbaric wet markets of China must be eliminated. Either voluntarily or if necessary apply worldwide force by trade and cultural sanctions against China. 
dMy feeling also is we should be shopping local after this rather than buying cheap Chinese goods we should be looking to produce better quality items realistically priced at home to get our economy kickstarted. Knocking exorbitant commercial rents on the head would help fledgling industries to get started, it would also revive our flagging retail sector if shop rents were fairly set. 
maybe too simplistic??

"I think we can learn from the actions of S Korea regarding testing programmes and tracing /isolating possible carriers to limit the spread of a future pandemic."

We can learn from other country that is doing things differently but our own medical and scientific advisers does not think that what work for one country will necessarily work for the UK. 

"I also firmly believe that the barbaric wet markets of China must be eliminated. Either voluntarily or if necessary apply worldwide force by trade and cultural sanctions against China"

Who will dare taking china on with sanction?

"My feeling also is we should be shopping local after this rather than buying cheap Chinese goods we should be looking to produce better quality items realistically priced at home to get our economy kickstarted"

Good idea, do you realise big brand name technology from smart phone to television are made in china, 

Just now, oldboy said:

"I think we can learn from the actions of S Korea regarding testing programmes and tracing /isolating possible carriers to limit the spread of a future pandemic."

We can learn from other country that is doing things differently but our own medical and scientific advisers does not think that what work for one country will necessarily work for the UK. 

"I also firmly believe that the barbaric wet markets of China must be eliminated. Either voluntarily or if necessary apply worldwide force by trade and cultural sanctions against China"

Who will dare taking china on with sanction?

"My feeling also is we should be shopping local after this rather than buying cheap Chinese goods we should be looking to produce better quality items realistically priced at home to get our economy kickstarted"

Good idea, do you realise big brand name technology from smart phone to television are made in china, 

Don’t see why the very effective testing programme SKorea has in place couldn’t work here apart from our typical bolshie  attitude to authority.
Why wouldn’t the rest of the world collectively take China on? As far as the production of electronic components Yes I’m aware of the role China  plays. 
I have a good friend who works for a large American computer and automation company as a troubleshooter. The bean counters decided it was more cost effective to have components made cheaply in China with a high failure rate than have the same components made in the U.K./US with a virtually zero failure rate. As usual they don’t factor in the down time and customers dissatisfaction by their actions. 
as I said a fairly simplistic view but who knows? 
Cant carry on like it was can it?

• I agree completely 1

Posted (edited)
18 minutes ago, Tuningdrew said:

Don’t see why the very effective testing programme SKorea has in place couldn’t work here apart from our typical bolshie  attitude to authority.
Why wouldn’t the rest of the world collectively take China on? As far as the production of electronic components Yes I’m aware of the role China  plays. 
I have a good friend who works for a large American computer and automation company as a troubleshooter. The bean counters decided it was more cost effective to have components made cheaply in China with a high failure rate than have the same components made in the U.K./US with a virtually zero failure rate. As usual they don’t factor in the down time and customers dissatisfaction by their actions. 

I am not an expert, but if we have to adopt what every other country is doing then we won't need all those UK experts, as you know each country is doing their own thing.

"Why wouldn’t the rest of the world collectively take China on?"

Politic and economic.

" The bean counters decided it was more cost effective to have components made cheaply in China with a high failure rate than have the same components made in the U.K./US with a virtually zero failure rate."

Here lies your answer

Anyway we are drifting way from the OP, let us leave it at that

Edited by Guest

11 hours ago, Tuningdrew said:

In a dream world you're right - but global consumers simply won't pay the higher price of items / components made outside China - everything always comes down to money.

• I agree completely 1

27 minutes ago, Black Grouse said:

In a dream world you're right - but global consumers simply won't pay the higher price of items / components made outside China - everything always comes down to money.

The problem now is of course that even if you wanted to pay a higher price for quality goods in many cases you have no option except to purchase goods from China.  Many items manufactured in China now have English & German names fooling you into thinking the goods were made in the UK, USA or Germany.  This really annoys me!

5 minutes ago, Durbanite said:

Many items manufactured in China now have English & German names fooling you into thinking the goods were made in the UK, USA or Germany.  This really annoys me!

And AFAIK, some well known European brands now have a manufacturing base in China, where labour is still cheaper and they are not subject to expensive European environmental restrictions.

10 minutes ago, Durbanite said:

The problem now is of course that even if you wanted to pay a higher price for quality goods in many cases you have no option except to purchase goods from China.  Many items manufactured in China now have English & German names fooling you into thinking the goods were made in the UK, USA or Germany.  This really annoys me!

That's a process that's been going on for decades - as a young adult I can remember cheap components being made in Hong Kong and China.

The whole basis of the British Empire, as well as the French, German, Spanish, Portugese colonies was cheap labour/products for the "motherland".

China is simply the latest developing economy in a global process going back thousands of years.

• Like 3

Re the testing in S Korea... The infrastructure was constructed to deliver testing during the SARS outbreak in early 2000's.  They still had that infrastructure, and it was a relatively easy job to reactivate that and start testing for Covid-19.  None of the Western countries were impacted by that, and didn't have the same set up. 

I wonder what the comments would have been say 15 years ago if the NHS was spending money on setting up a testing infrastructure that wasn't needed, and indeed might never have been needed....

• Like 1

On 11/04/2020 at 09:42, Black Grouse said:

That's a process that's been going on for decades - as a young adult I can remember cheap components being made in Hong Kong and China.

The whole basis of the British Empire, as well as the French, German, Spanish, Portugese colonies was cheap labour/products for the "motherland".

China is simply the latest developing economy in a global process going back thousands of years.

But the Germans and the French have not dismantled  their industries like us!

This must be a factor in Germany s deaths per million of 34 compared to our 145

translating into 2871 and 9875 deaths-to date

https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/#countries

The engraver must be on to a good number, £355 for a couple of initials !

These cufflinks cost £645 and then the additional funds will be used to get a professional engraving put onto each cufflinks