Sign in to follow this  
Dave Capiro owner

email from CMC

I wanted to write to you personally about your Club and the challenges we face over the coming months. 

First and foremost my thoughts go out to all of our members, staff and friends of the Club who have been affected by the Coronavirus pandemic and we hope that by pulling together we can get through this very difficult time. 

Since we were founded in 1907 we have served and represented those who are united in a passion for the great outdoors. We have provided sites and places to stay, advice, travel assistance and financial protection to generations of caravanners, motorhomers, campervanners and campers. Over the past 113 years we have survived the hardship of two World Wars, petrol rationing in the Suez crisis, the three day week, Foot and Mouth in 2001 and now we face the global Coronavirus pandemic.

A true members’ Club

It is vital to remember that the Club is a true members’ Club that is owned by you, the members and run by members (the Executive Committee). They are elected from amongst you and volunteer to be your board of directors. (They receive no pay for their tireless hard work). Thanks to prudent management and years of support from members like you paying their subscriptions and buying our services, we have built up an unrivalled network of sites and Certificated Locations across the UK. As a members’ Club we pay no dividends to shareholders or bonuses to directors so that any surplus funds are used to invest in sites and services for you. This year we are committed to investing in Cayton Village in Yorkshire, Penrhos in Anglesey and Troutbeck Head in the Lake District.

Working together to ensure our future

We need you to maintain your subscription to help tide us over during this financial uncertainty. In return we will continue to provide our call centre and online services in full, our magazine will continue to be produced (you can download our app to read scores of back issues), our social media will be more active than ever, whilst our award-winning Club insurance and caravan cover continue to provide protection. 

I am also pleased to confirm we have opened our UK site bookings through to 30 June 2021 to give you, as members, priority for a full year’s touring ahead. 

We have received so many messages of support for our staff during this difficult time and I personally thank you for those messages. We are a club built on a passion for the great outdoors by like-minded people and we must do everything we can together to ensure our wonderful club remains wonderful for the next 100 years. 

Please support us if you are able by continuing to be a Club member.

Nick Lomas
Director General
Caravan and Motorhome Club

I hope people have maintained their subscriptions, otherwise there's a danger the club will have to downsize.

• I agree completely 1

Posted (edited)
16 minutes ago, Dave Capiro owner said:

I hope people have maintained their subscriptions, otherwise there's a danger the club will have to downsize.

I should think there will be a number of members cancelling their membership as the MH forums  are posting about their Motorhomes SORN as they can't see them being used for a while .

Edited by CommanderDave

Jeep Commander 3. 0 V6 CRD

Isuzu D- Max Utah Auto

Elddis Crusader Storm 2000 Kgs, Unipart Royal Atlas Mover .

Why would you cancel or not renew your membership? I for one will still be using their sites, overseas bookings, Red Pennant and insurance services if I’m fortunate enough to survive C19.

2020 SsangYong Musso Rebel Auto towing 2016 Swift Conqueror 645.  

I don't wear rose coloured spectacles , therefore I do see the cc as a business, however, being able to book sites without putting a deposit down is a big help .   It means that if we come across some unforeseen problem, we don't loose any money. In fact for those of you who have booked the spring holidays with cc it must have saved you much more than the cost of your membership fee. Hopefully we will be able to use the club sites sometime this year.

• Like 2

My membership renewal is due at the end of this month, but due to health issues I have been in contact with the CMC to cancel. The only facility of the CMC I used in 2019 was Red Pennant travel insurance and with no hope of needing it this year my choice was to cancel membership.

Today another e-mail from the CMC offering me to renew my Red Pennant annual policy. Sorry it is not needed this year, but I wonder if this insurance aspect of the "club" will see more impact from CV19 than the general membership.

John 

There are things about "the club" that I criticise, some light heartedly and some not so, however, its value for us means that we will continue our subscription.  The Mayday breakdown service and CL network is very good and (for us) the caravan insurance is always competitive.

They are now letting you forward book sites up to July 2021, so we have FINALLY managed to book a pitch at the Castleton site for the end of May next year.  Been trying to get on this one for ages but it's always booked solid for school holiday times.  If anyone wants to put a bet on the weather forecast in Derbyshire for the end of May next year have a bit of a flutter on it being cold and wet!

Don't bother trying to book Rowntree Park in York, it's already full for most weekends right up to July 2021!

2018 Volvo V90 and 2018 Swift Sprite Quattro EB

"It is vital to remember that the Club is a true members’ Club that is owned by you, the members and run by members (the Executive Committee). "

Whilst we will give our support paying the subs, as we have for close on 40 years, it is was these few words early on where we thought, now he has lost the members trust by writing that.

I might have agreed 30 years back and accept a lot of effort is put in by  volunteers, but still a true members club, I feel not.

Total waste of money,there are lots of sites out there with better facilitys etc and you do not have to Talk posh.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

2013 Bailey Unicorn Cadiz  pulled by a Landrover Freelander 2 / VW Passat Estate 2.0 Blue Motion

19 minutes ago, w44nty said:

Total waste of money,there are lots of sites out there with better facilitys etc and you do not have to Talk posh.

Dunno wot ya meen mate 

• Haha 2

Bessacarr Cameo 525 towed by SsangYong Rexton 2.2 auto in Brown.

3 hours ago, Dave Capiro owner said:

They could start by reducing the number of their Managers and while they are at it, cut down the members of the Executive Committee.. There are too many chiefs and not enough workers. 

The CL network was the only reason I paid my annual subscription for so many years, but there are so many excellent private sites in better locations so I had no reason to renew for the last 3 years.. 

• Like 1

They could start by reducing the number of their Managers and while they are at it, cut down the members of theExecutive Committee.. There are too many chiefs and not enough workers. 

Curious to know where you found the data regarding how many "Chiefs" and how many "workers"

The only info I can find says 350 people at their Head Office, no information about the split between managers and staff or the split of staff between the various sections of the business - e.g. Insurance, Sites, Development, legal services etc.  

• Like 1

Volvo V70 D4 Estate automatic Swift Challenger SE 580

1 hour ago, bessacarr425 said:

They could start by reducing the number of their Managers and while they are at it, cut down the members of the Executive Committee.. There are too many chiefs and not enough workers. 

Quoting the notification,

"(the Executive Committee). They are elected from amongst you and volunteer to be your board of directors. (They receive no pay for their tireless hard work). "

"No pay", not too great a wage bill there then?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, w44nty said:

:goodpost:and have a posh new twenty foot long caravan with a brand new 4x4. All shiny and new! And being best mates with the Site staff.

Don't get me started! 

• I do not understand 2
  • Sad 1

17 minutes ago, Lady Bird said:

:goodpost:and have a posh new twenty foot long caravan with a brand new 4x4. All shiny and new! And being best mates with the Site staff.

Don't get me started! 

Please do continue as you seem to have a somewhat jaundiced view of people that frequent CMC Sites, I am sure others would love to hear your thoughts!

By the way I am a DeeDah from Derbyshire that has a new 4x4 and a 12 year old caravan, and I am not mates with any of the wardens - does that confuse your assumptions?

***************************************

2 hours ago, w44nty said:

Total waste of money,there are lots of sites out there with better facilities etc and you do not have to Talk posh.

I am please you have this point of view, it leaves the CMC site clear for those that do like them.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • I agree completely 2

Jaguar E-Pace 180D HSE R Dynamic - 2008 Swift Conqueror 540

"Unless otherwise stated, my posts will be my personal thoughts and have the same standing as any other member of Caravan Talk"

Today’s brand new caravan and 4 x 4 will be the secondhand one that LadyBird buys in a few years time.
Green eyed monster alert......😉

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

2020 SsangYong Musso Rebel Auto towing 2016 Swift Conqueror 645.  

7 minutes ago, Tuningdrew said:

Today’s brand new caravan and 4 x 4 will be the secondhand one that LadyBird buys in a few years time.
Green eyed monster alert......😉

No green eyed monster from me! :D

• Sad 1

34 minutes ago, Lady Bird said:

Don't get me started! 

Can you take the silver spoon out before you reply

2013 Bailey Unicorn Cadiz  pulled by a Landrover Freelander 2 / VW Passat Estate 2.0 Blue Motion

I am going to renew our CMC membership in July as per normal, I would not be surprised to see some price increases next year to balance the books/losses.

2020 Mitsubishi Outlander 2.4  PHEV and 2016 Swift Conqueror 480 HT

3 hours ago, JTQ said:

"It is vital to remember that the Club is a true members’ Club that is owned by you, the members and run by members (the Executive Committee). "

Whilst we will give our support paying the subs, as we have for close on 40 years, it is was these few words early on where we thought, now he has lost the members trust by writing that.

I might have agreed 30 years back and accept a lot of effort is put in by  volunteers, but still a true members club, I feel not.

I agree, That email should have been written by the Chairman of the club in my opinion.   Mr Lomas is a hired hand, albeit a senior one. 

48 minutes ago, w44nty said:

Can you take the silver spoon out before you reply

:D  might choke if I do!

We have just renewed, I think the wardens will still need to be onsite for security and working to keep the site ready for when or if the restrictions are lifted. We have a C&CC site near us and I noticed that the wardens were still on site .

Posted (edited)

Just wondering if one should instruct the butler to renew ones membership...

Edited by reluctant
  • Haha 1

Trevor.

23 minutes ago, reluctant said:

Just wondering if one should instruct the butler to renew ones membership...

How common. Surely ones butler should be serving the brandy whilst ones personal assistant deals with the administrative trifles.

• Haha 2

Don't forget that if you cancel your membership and decide to rejoin later, you'll have to start again to get free life membership after 50 years! 

7 hours ago, w44nty said:

I take it then you will not be renewing this year. Hopefully the other sites you will be using instead of the CMC ones will survive.

• I agree completely 1