We are looking for a new tow car as I do like my XC90 but the costs are starting to go up and sick of paying out for it. Nothing major but constantly needs something doing to it.

I did like the Santa Fe but apparently recently What Car said must unreliable used SUV at present. I have seen a used Toyota Rav 4 150BHP with Auto box. Does anyone tow with one and if so what are they like? I can't find a review from any of the caravan people just a slightly older model which assume was same build. Wouldn't mind a Kia Sorento but in my price range nothing seems to come near to me at present. Looking at spending around 13K max with something reliable. I may even get rid of idea of a bigger twin axle unfortunately all the big cars seem to cost a fortune to run. 

Thanks,

Paul 

SUV's are poor value for money compared to estate cars. If 4WD  is essential this is often available on estate cars so its just about tyres. Have a look at some of the estate tow cars. You should find a reasonable one for £13K. 

Ern

Issue with most estate cars is they don’t fit three kids in the back unfortunately. Need something big enough for three kids in the back. 

As above, SUV does cost more to purchase compared to a AWD estate.  Another plus is the lower centre of gravity for handling. I had a Subaru Legacy Sports Est excellent car best I've ever owned for driving on ice.

The down side for me is the lack of ground clearance and poor wading depths.

Edited by PaulR
54 minutes ago, Ptrobson said:

Issue with most estate cars is they don’t fit three kids in the back unfortunately. Need something big enough for three kids in the back. 

You certainly dont want to be looking at a Rav4 then. With that engine and a caravan and 3 kids it wouldnt be strong enough or big enough. Look at VW Passat Estate, Mondeo Estate, Volvo V70 (I just sold one and it was a great tow car). 

Ern

A BMW 5 Series Touring X- Drive or a Merc C or E Class 4Matic estate would do the job.

Jaguar E-Pace 180D HSE R Dynamic - 2008 Swift Conqueror 540

"Unless otherwise stated, my posts will be my personal thoughts and have the same standing as any other member of Caravan Talk"

I think the 'off road' estates are a great compromise and a good excuse not to buy an SUV - cars like the Passat Alltrack, XC70, Octavia Scout, A4/A6 Allroad etc. Trouble is (for me at least, when I was looking at them) most of them are diesels.

2018 Octavia vRS 245 TSI Estate & 2016 Adria Altea 552 DT Tamar

12 hours ago, mprcomp said:

We are looking for a new tow car as I do like my XC90 but the costs are starting to go up and sick of paying out for it. Nothing major but constantly needs something doing to it.

I did like the Santa Fe but apparently recently What Car said must unreliable used SUV at present. I have seen a used Toyota Rav 4 150BHP with Auto box. Does anyone tow with one and if so what are they like? I can't find a review from any of the caravan people just a slightly older model which assume was same build. Wouldn't mind a Kia Sorento but in my price range nothing seems to come near to me at present. Looking at spending around 13K max with something reliable. I may even get rid of idea of a bigger twin axle unfortunately all the big cars seem to cost a fortune to run. 

Thanks,

Paul 

Sante Fe and Sorento basically the same car. Difficult to believe that the Hyundai is the least reliable. You do hear of a few horror stories on the Forums but with my mechanics hat on working in local garages and workshops  personally I’ve never met anyone yet who has had a serious problem with either car. Even the rust issues on the rear axles of the early Sorento were still being fixed by Kia under warranty.

10 hours ago, Ern said:

You certainly dont want to be looking at a Rav4 then. With that engine and a caravan and 3 kids it wouldnt be strong enough or big enough. Look at VW Passat Estate, Mondeo Estate, Volvo V70 (I just sold one and it was a great tow car). 

Latest Rav 4 is a huge car, with a very big boot.

21 minutes ago, swirly182 said:

I think the 'off road' estates are a great compromise and a good excuse not to buy an SUV - cars like the Passat Alltrack, XC70, Octavia Scout, A4/A6 Allroad etc. Trouble is (for me at least, when I was looking at them) most of them are diesels.

They are also sold at a premium same as a SUV.

I've towed with an estate car which was 4wd it towed ok, but its sports suspension meant it was very low to the ground.  On one CL it was in danger of grounding on ground.

12 minutes ago, Tuningdrew said:

Sante Fe and Sorento basically the same car. Difficult to believe that the Hyundai is the least reliable. You do hear of a few horror stories on the Forums but with my mechanics hat on working in local garages and workshops  personally I’ve never met anyone yet who has had a serious problem with either car. Even the rust issues on the rear axles of the early Sorento were still being fixed by Kia under warranty.

Most faults would be sorted in a dealer under warranty, so local garages will probably not see many.

• Like 1
4 minutes ago, xtrailman said:

Latest Rav 4 is a huge car, with a very big boot.

The OP has said he has a budget of £13K. This will buy him a tow car capable of doing the job but it wont be a RAV4, nor will it be a BMWX5 or a MERC unless he buys a very old high mileage example. Estate cars may not have the image but they are far more affordable. With 3 kids I know what I would be buying. I've had and have both. My Mondeo Estate was a new 2.0L 130BHP model about 2003 and that was a cracking workhorse as was the Peugeot 2.0L 406 Estate new just before it. We had a new Jeep 2.8L and it was great but expensive a new Volvo 2.4L V70 and that was a great tow car with a barge interior and now a Tiguan 2.0L 4Motion because we don't need the space or payload, but need 4WD. You have to find a car that will do the job within your budget don't you?

• I agree completely 1

Ern

Have a look at a Mazda 6 estate, go for the higher spec (and more powerful) Sport Nav, I am on my third now, excellent tow  car (I tow a 1500kg caravan with my auto) loads of internal space, lots of nice “toys” as standard and a very decent “drive” when not towing. £13-14K  should get you a decent 3-4 year old top of the range one. 

Andy

Edited by Mr Plodd

Experience is an awful teacher who ends up sending you simply horrifying bills

43 minutes ago, xtrailman said:

They are also sold at a premium same as a SUV.

But the premium is justified! 

Unlike an SUV............ :lol:

2018 Octavia vRS 245 TSI Estate & 2016 Adria Altea 552 DT Tamar

Volvo V90.  I know I am a bit biased (I love mine) but I'm just over six feet tall and even with my drivers seat in a position for my own comfort there is LOTS of room in the back for three adults.  There are AWD versions of the V90 available but for £13K it would be a high mileage car.  Mine isn't AWD but the D4 FWD, with kerbweight of 1825kgs and around 190bhp it's a very good tow car.

2018 Volvo V90 and 2018 Swift Sprite Quattro EB

We have had a Santa Fe three years preceeded by  a Sorento for four. Never had any reliability issues. I have not seen either in any unreliablity lists.

Toyota are good too.

Hyundai Santa Fe+Bailey Unicorn Cadiz

Mini Cooper convertible -fun Car!:)

11 hours ago, Ern said:

The OP has said he has a budget of £13K. This will buy him a tow car capable of doing the job but it wont be a RAV4, nor will it be a BMWX5 or a MERC unless he buys a very old high mileage example. Estate cars may not have the image but they are far more affordable. With 3 kids I know what I would be buying. I've had and have both. My Mondeo Estate was a new 2.0L 130BHP model about 2003 and that was a cracking workhorse as was the Peugeot 2.0L 406 Estate new just before it. We had a new Jeep 2.8L and it was great but expensive a new Volvo 2.4L V70 and that was a great tow car with a barge interior and now a Tiguan 2.0L 4Motion because we don't need the space or payload, but need 4WD. You have to find a car that will do the job within your budget don't you?

You can get a Rav4 this is why I am asking not too bad miles but at my budget never going to have low miles.