Hi all new too this, i have just purchased a hobby 645 vip premium 2013. Too find cracks in the grp to the front and too the back. Have been told that no water ingress can come from these by one guy from hobby, to be told by another technician that the premium is only grp at the front with no wooden insulation and that it would be a cause of water ingress? Does anybody own the same or similar van that could enlighten me please 

Slightly off topic but what are you towing it with?

Duncan

61 Santa Fe & 2011 Bailey Olympus 624

16 hours ago, DUNCAN123 said:

Slightly off topic but what are you towing it with?

Duncan

I think the 645 had a body length under 7m?

Yeah you could well be right.

Something in the back of my mind about a thread on here last year about one of these vans that dragged on for page after page.

Cant remember the eventual outcome exactly but I’m sure most said the van was over length.

Duncan

There is (in this Hobby section) a long thread on the 645 VIP and whether it was legal to tow. I think, only think, that the conclusion may have been that it cannot legally be towed in the UK by a car and needs a vehicle weighing in excess of 3,500 kgs. Can't link from a phone. 

It looks like the OP will tow it with a Navara. 

Graham

Unless otherwise stated all posts are my personal opinion 

37 minutes ago, WispMan said:

There is (in this Hobby section) a long thread on the 645 VIP and whether it was legal to tow. I think, only think, that the conclusion may have been that it cannot legally be towed in the UK by a car and needs a vehicle weighing in excess of 3,500 kgs. Can't link from a phone. 

Perhaps the OP doesn't intend to tow it. 

44 minutes ago, WispMan said:

If you have UK car insurance you would need to check if they will insure the vehicle to tow a trailer over 7 m body length anywhere not just UK .

When you have a vehicle under 3500 kg gvw and tow a trailer over 7 m you need to take out special policy .

Edited by CommanderDave

Jeep Commander 3. 0 V6 CRD

Isuzu D- Max Utah Auto

Elddis Crusader Storm 2000 Kgs, Unipart Royal Atlas Mover .

OP asked about water ingress, not the legalities of towing ;).

Nearly every Hobby thread ends up with "is it legal to tow" :ph34r:.

Edited by Pebble
  • Like 1

2019 Adria Adora Thames

3 minutes ago, Pebble said:

Perhaps he is unaware of the illegal towing a trailer over size and invalidating car  insurance ?

Dave

Edited by CommanderDave
  • I agree completely 1

Isuzu D- Max Utah Auto

The body length of the 645 VIP is  7355, length including A frame is 8530, floor length 6762

13 minutes ago, CommanderDave said:

Perhaps he is unaware of the illegal towing a trailer over size and invalidating car  insurance ?

Dave

I am not sure where you get the above idea but could you please post a link proving that your statement is correct and you seem to quote the above every time?  Does speeding invalidate your insurance?  Does illegal parking invalidate your insurance?  Thanks.

3 minutes ago, Durbanite said:

The body length of the 645 VIP is  7355, length including A frame is 8530, floor length 6762

I am not sure where you get the above idea but could you please post a link proving that your statement is correct and you seem to quote the above every time?  Does speeding invalidate your insurance?  Does illegal parking invalidate your insurance?  Thanks.

Phone your car insurance company and ask if your insurance covers you to tow a trailer over 7 m body length .

Dave

Edited by CommanderDave
  • I do not understand 1

Isuzu D- Max Utah Auto

It is better that the OP knows the towing situation now if he does intend to tow after renovation

Graham

Unless otherwise stated all posts are my personal opinion 

Only 2 twin axle Hobby caravans that can be towed with a vehicle under 3.5 tonne and they are the 610UL and the 620CL...

To further confuse matters with the 610UL models  there are 2 different lengths.

The 610UL Prestige model is legal to tow at 6.92 metres but the 610UL Premium is 7.269 metres and requires a vehicle over 3.5 tonnes.

The 620CL is legal at 6.845 metres.

Land Rovers, Range Rovers etc are all limited to 3.5 tonnes, so even they are not capable of legally towing over 7m.

I'm unable to find any details on a 2013 year 645 Premium although the 2011 645 VIP has a body length of 7.355m

Hobby 575 VIP

30 minutes ago, Pebble said:

Nearly every Hobby thread ends up with "is it legal to tow" :ph34r:.

Would the question, 'is it legal to tow x caravan with y car turn into a discussion about water ingress one wonders?  :)

Perhaps the best way to get the answer to your real question is to ask about something totally different.  

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • I agree completely 1
54 minutes ago, CommanderDave said:

Phone your car insurance company and ask if your insurance covers you to tow a trailer over 7 m body length .

Dave

No need to phone as there is no restriction.   You have been quoting the insurance thing for years and never offered any proof.  I get the impression that it is in your imagination.  LOL!:D  Stay safe.

• Haha 1
40 minutes ago, Durbanite said:

No need to phone as there is no restriction.   You have been quoting the insurance thing for years and never offered any proof.  I get the impression that it is in your imagination.  LOL!:D  Stay safe.

There may not be a legal restriction but the policy could have one, like some policies now state the trailer cannot weigh more than the "Kerb weight" of the towing vehicle. (and please people let's not continue the discussion of what constitutes the term Kerb weight as it is not relevant to the discussion).

N.B. Please refrain from adding personal comments, even an Emoji doesn't disguise it as humour!

• Like 1

Jaguar E-Pace 180D HSE R Dynamic - 2008 Swift Conqueror 540

"Unless otherwise stated, my posts will be my personal thoughts and have the same standing as any other member of Caravan Talk"

Would infringment of c&u regs not possibly come into play and render insurance void or at best 3rd party only? 

A seemingly problem free 2010 model Adria Altea 542dk that has more than its fair share of use.

As far as I know insurance company must pay out any third party claim but may try to recover costs from the policy holder if there proves to have been a non compliance of terms of insurance.

I think there has been cases of drivers being chased by insurance companies after crashes when the driver was over the drink driving limit.

Duncan

3 hours ago, Durbanite said:

I have friends that tow trailers over 7 m body length that have to take out special car insurance policy as their vehicles are under 3500 kg gvw .

Dave

Edited by CommanderDave

Isuzu D- Max Utah Auto

1 hour ago, CommanderDave said:

I have friends that tow trailers over 7 m body length that have to take out special car insurance policy as their vehicles are under 3500 kg gvw .

Dave

Exactly what are they towing?

Regulation 7 of the Road Vehicles (Construction and Use) Regulations 1986, as amended,  restricts a trailer towed by a vehicle which is not a vehicle over 3500 kg GVW to a maximum body length of 7m.

Regulation 7 (3A) (a) dis-applies the requirements of that table in a number of areas including where a trailer is constructed and normally used for the conveyance of "indivisible loads of exceptional length".  This exception would permit a trailer specially constructed to carry indivisible loads such as a glider or rowing skiff to be towed by a car.

Other than those types a car driver would be committing, at a minimum, a Construction & Use offence when towing a caravan exceeding 7 metre body length. As for how many such offences end up being prosecuted who knows as none have appeared on any forums that I use including two related specifically to Hobby caravans.

Did he notify his car insurance that he was towing a trailer over 7 m as they have to insure it ?

Towing over 7 m would increase the insurance risk .

Dave

Edited by CommanderDave

Isuzu D- Max Utah Auto

The thread was about caravans exceeding 7 metres not another type of trailer which is permitted to exceed 7 metres :rolleyes:

ADMIN COMMENT - As per the above post the OP is wanting advice on a caravan, can we keep the replies to that and not confuse things by bringing other trailers in to the equation

• I agree completely 1

Over the past 10 years I have had 2 x accidents whilst towing a Hobby with a length of over 7 metres and on both occasions claimed successfully  with no questions of an illegal trailer length and both had insurance estimators to visit and write their reports...  

Volvo XC60 & Hobby Premium 540efu

The majority of people don’t have a clue about this 7mtr thing.

I was on a driver cpc course last year and the instructor (ex vosa inspector)  admitted that most of his ex colleges didn’t know about it and the only reason he knew was that he was an ex caravannner himself.

Duncan