Sign in to follow this  
Sue Thompson

Low charger voltage

Hi, I have a Bailey Pageant Monarch series 5. The charge to the battery is less than 10 volts; any ideas?

Need a bit more info.

Is the caravan plugged in to electric hook up and you are saying the battery is not being charged ? Or is it not plugged in but the battery voltage is only showing 10 volts. If the latter then the battery needs charging up - either by plugging in the caravan to the mains electric or by using a separate battery charger.

If using a separate charger then the smart ones tend not to work on a battery with less than 10 volts since they think the battery is faulty. This can be overcome using a simple older charger or even using jump leads from a car to get the voltage up above 10 volts and then the smart charger can be used.

Fuse blown on charger?  Mains not connected?  Mains circuit breaker tripped?

Is this the built in charger?

The problem could be the battery or the charger, or both! My guess is that the charger failed and the battery went flat over time. 

Best bet is to remove the battery and put it on a known good charger and, if possible fit a known good battery. 

2 hours ago, Stevan said:

The problem could be the battery or the charger, or both! My guess is that the charger failed and the battery went flat over time. 

Best bet is to remove the battery and put it on a known good charger and, if possible fit a known good battery. 

Baileys have a power supply putting out a constant 13.6V to float charge* the battery - it is not a charger per se.

*Float charge means the power supply is connected across the battery at all times and the battery will take what charging it wants. 13.6V will - generally - only get the battery to about 90% but at least it better than a poke in the eye with a plastic duck?

I didn't explain this very well. What I have found is that when it is connected to a hook up, either on a site or in my drive, the battery is losing charge to such a degree that the motor mover fails. So I tested the voltage across the battery clamps and it read just under ten volts. I believe that the power supply is not charging the battery properly and I wondered if there is a solution.

If you put the battery onto the caravan with the mains hooked up what is the voltage across the battery. If still only 10 volts or so then the charger isn’t working. 
there’ll be a fuse to the charger which will need checking and possibly a switch. Never having owned a Bailey I’m not familiar with their electrics. 
How old is the battery?

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

There is a fuse in the red cable from the battery to the power box - on Baileys it is often hidden in the cable cluster where they enter the power box. If this is blown then the battery cannot be charged.

Simple test. Disconnect the battery, connect the EHU and see if the lighting works in the van. If it does then the power supply is working and healthy and the battery fuse is blown: if the lights do not work then the power supply is not working. On Baileys the power supply is inside the top of the power box and mains gets to it by means of a right-angled  so-called 'kettle' plug which have a habit of falling out due to vibration whilst towing.

If you want to do it yourself it is not difficult just fiddly.  First MAINS OFF by removal of the EHU. There are four screws in the corners of the recess on the front of the power box where the MCBs sit. They need to be removed. Also look at the outside sides of the case where there are four small lugs which may or may not have screws in them - if they are present remove them and gently pull the front off the box. The power supply is in the top and quite obvious as is the kettle plug.

If you cannot remove the front due to the position of the power box (as was in our Pageant Majestic 5 a few years ago) it will be because the box is mounted on a piece of vertical plywood. There are two screws through the back and side of the board into one of the struts of the bedbox where it is probably fitted*. There will also be a larger Pozi screw in a small metal bracket into the floor at the bottom back of the opposite side of the board which you also remove. You will then be able to lean the board backwards and take the front off. The power supply is not fastened, it just sits there. If you have some long thin zip-ties you can put a few in series and loop them round the power supply and kettle plug so it won't fall out again.

*This is one of those rare situations where one of those small pistol-shaped electric screwdrivers is a godsend.

Good luck.

Edited by Woodentop
  • Like 1