Sign in to follow this  
bessacarr425

People ignoring the advice.

2 minutes ago, DeeTee said:

When you are in a hole, stop digging.

There are many sources you could have checked before posting, and this is just one of them. Found by Google is your friends sesonds after reading your most recent post. :rolleyes:

I stopped doing that as soon as I realised that it was a mistake on my part but others on the forum just kept wanting to pile the soil on-top of my virtual coffin albeit my wish is cremation.

7 minutes ago, AWanderingLancastrian said:

I stopped doing that as soon as I realised that it was a mistake on my part but others on the forum just kept wanting to pile the soil on-top of my virtual coffin albeit my wish is cremation.

Always remember to put brain into gear before engaging keyboard.

You will get your wish if you pop your clogs in the near future.

9 hours ago, Townie said:

Dr Catherine Calderwood, (Scotlands Chief Medical Officer),  and her husband and children were photographed visiting their second home "just to check it" this weekend. They (according to reports), stayed overnight and then travelled back to Edinburgh. She has been on TV over the last few weeks urging people to stay at home and protect the NHS. Do as I say but NOT as I do??

Not quite the full story Townie. Calderwood & husband visited their second home last week end, to check it. They stayed one night.  Surely arrangements could have been put in place for someone local to check property.

BUT, Calderwood & family visited this house this week end AGAIN and were caught out & about.

Between the heir to the throne & Calderwood, does this not send out completely the wrong message??  One rule for them and another for us. So, it's ok for me to drag the old tin shed to some remote area for a couple of nights then !!!! I strongly suspect that I would be fined by the police as was the man they caught simply sitting alone in his car.

Yur not on Jimmy

Posted (edited)

Well, she has done the honourable thing and resigned.

Edit: I just can't think what was going through her mind to justify her earlier actions - to be Chief Medical Officer means she was highly intelligent. If people like her behave like this what hope is there.

Edited by onewheelonmywagon
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, AWanderingLancastrian said:

I have just watched IN TOTAL DISBELIEF a live televised service from Hereford Cathedral with a sizeable congregation present and most certainly not practising safe distancing apart - do these worshippers know something that we don't know or are they just simply plain stupid or is it me that is just missing out by not being there some 150 miles away and receiving my slash of Holy Water ?

I am shocked at the hordes of people who attended the virtual Grand National.

Don't these virtual people realise how many computer-generated individuals they are putting at risk?

I too am IN TOTAL DISBELIEF (since it just wouldn't be the same in lower case).

• Haha 3

24 minutes ago, onewheelonmywagon said:

Edit: I can't think what was going through her mind to justify her earlier actions - to be Chief Medical Officer means she was highly intelligent. If people like her behave like this what hope is there.

We can hope that whoever now becomes CMO is just as (or even more) competent in that role.

Her resignation may give people a sense of virtue having triumphed, but if it puts an incompetent into the job, then who benefits? 

2 hours ago, AWanderingLancastrian said:

Dont worry about it AWL. Its no big deal. We've all "dropped one" here or there. Pardon the expression:rolleyes:

Hi Ern. I am not making anything of a deal about it BUT there are others on the forum that most certainly are and will probably continue doing so.

Some of them are doubtless typically like the ones that have double standards with the Don't do as I do but do as I say mentality.

3 hours ago, fred said:

By this I assume you mean those that are offered routine seasonal flu vaccinations.  Not that a flu vaccine would have any effect on the corona virus?

Yes.   They are the ones perceived to be most at risk.... and add extra strain on the NHS during the Winter seasonal peak. 

In the absence of a vaccine for Covid 19  there shouldn’t have been a change in the safety first thinking.  Those at risk would still add extra strain on the NHS in this crisis...and should have been asked to stay indoors at the outset. In addition to keeping them safe before the virus spread widely, it would have enabled them to take priority in supermarket deliveries. A sore point as we find ourselves having to shop for two elderly friends unable to get delivery slots.

52 minutes ago, onewheelonmywagon said:

: I just can't think what was going through her mind to justify her earlier actions - to be Chief Medical Officer means she was highly intelligent.

All brains and no common sense!

18 minutes ago, Grandpa Steve said:

All brains and no common sense!

The question to be asked is "Did she jump or was she pushed"???  If sufficient pressure was put on Tricky Nicky I strongly suspect Calderwood was "Asked" to resign.

Anyway, she is to stay on to advise her replacement---but for how long ???

Posted (edited)

I do not in any way condone Catherine Calderwood's behaviour, nor that of Prince Charles.

Will the prince relinquish his position? I do not hear any significant uproar from the media or polticians in regard to his actions during the covid restrictions.

One rule for them - one rule for us !

And in the queen's address she said that she wanted to thank those of us who stayed at home "thereby to protect the vulnerable and sparing many families the pain already felt by those who have lost loved ones, together we are tackling this disease, and I want to reassure you that if we remain united and resolute then we will overcome it, I hope in the years to come everyone will take pride in how we responded to this challenge".

One rule for them - one rule for us !

Edited by Sea&Sand
  • Thanks 1
  • I do not understand 1
  • I disagree 1
  • I agree completely 1

9 hours ago, Lutz said:

My wife and I are over 70, as are many of our neighbours, and we are all going about out daily business much the same as before the virus except that we take care not to get too close to others including other members of the family, wash our hands even more often than usual and we wear masks when we go into supermarkets. There has not been any directive for us to do any more.

Please do not take this personally as you are not the only person in Germany to say the same but I fail to understand why anyone would carry on as before when clearly they could be putting themselves and others at increased risk of infection. The situation here in the UK is no secret, why would anyone reading this forum think the virus would not be transferred in the same way in Germany. Instead of waiting for a directive, why are people in Germany not being proactive and taking control of their own lives?

• I agree completely 4

Posted (edited)

The latest figures I can find are that Germany have had 1,584 deaths due to Covid-19.   The figure for the U.K. is 4,932.  

I not sure we are in any position to criticise the German  governments policy in response.  To the pandemic. 

Edited by fred

10 hours ago, logiclee said:

The UK has a road network that requires a lot of daily management. Daily congestion and RTA's.

The non-essential travel is not only to cut down the risk of virus transfer but to reduce the burden on the Emergency Services, Breakdown Services and local authorities. 

It seems likely that my mother-in-law contracted her Covid infection in hospital.  Best not to be in any avoidable RTA or household accident which takes you there.

• I agree completely 1

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, Gordon said:

Please do not take this personally as you are not the only person in Germany to say the same but I fail to understand why anyone would carry on as before when clearly they could be putting themselves and others at increased risk of infection. The situation here in the UK is no secret, why would anyone reading this forum think the virus would not be transferred in the same way in Germany. Instead of waiting for a directive, why are people in Germany not being proactive and taking control of their own lives?

Judging by the figures I think the people in Germany have shown that they are quite proactive enough in taking sensible, reasonable and appropriate steps.

Edited by Lutz

7 minutes ago, Lutz said:

Judging by the figures I think the people in Germany have shown that they are quite proactive enough in taking sensible, reasonable and appropriate steps.

That’s just what they said in Italy a few weeks ago.

Let’s just hope none of us get’s to say to you  “ I told you so”!

• Like 1
  • I agree completely 1

As a couple who are both in the "at risk" group,  it has been a bit challenging to resist the temptation to go out in the car.  BUT the advice is to "Stay at home" and that is precisely what we are doing.    

Not to follow that advice carries so many risks both to the individual and to others, there have been so many deaths caused by cross infection. 

• I agree completely 2

On 05/04/2020 at 09:47, Lutz said:

I'm glad that they're taking a more pragmatic approach here in Germany, where unless you are found to be congregating in a group of more than two people you can do more or less whatever you like. This afternoon we shall be driving to the sister-in-law who lives about 30 miles away. We are all over 70 so my wife and I will be sitting on the sister-in-law's garden terrace, she will remain indoors and we will have a nice chat through the French window. Later we'll go for a walk with her across the fields, keeping the required distance. I think we're taking all sensible precautions and I can't see any risk of contagion under such conditions.

They have French windows in Germany? :unsure:

• Haha 1

15 hours ago, onewheelonmywagon said:

Edit: I just can't think what was going through her mind to justify her earlier actions - to be Chief Medical Officer means she was highly intelligent. If people like her behave like this what hope is there.

Just watching Nicola Sturgeons press conference our "responsible press" -including the BBC are still trying to keep this dead story going by using their questions to try and bring this back to life.

As I predicted yesterday she had to go and she s gone.

I doubt if someone lacking in a few life skills like her went meekly.

NS said she and the CMO had a "discussion" and as a result she resigned -in other words the choice was sacking or resignation.

If the CMO had a bit more savvy-media wise she should have known she was in the Red Tops sights I suppose The Sun reporters are at a loose end now the celebs are confined indoors.

On 05/04/2020 at 13:14, Lutz said:

I appreciate that, but I was comparing case fatality rates and these should be comparable:

The following example shows figures released by the Johns Hopkins University as of today.

grafik.png.1314774a9a4517349fc8e2966185863b.png

A possible explanation for the high case fatality rate in the UK is that people are dying before they have had a chance to be tested, but it still doesn't explain why there are so many more deaths per head of the population.

Surely a person dying before being tested does not become a Case Fatality as that is a person dying after being confirmed with Covid 19?

4 minutes ago, Grandpa Steve said:

One cannot compare the conditions in Italy with those in Germany. The medical services in Italy were even less prepared for the pandemic than in Germany. There was actually little delay between the outbreak in Italy and in Germany. Many of the first confirmed cases in Germany were winter holidaymakers who had spent time in the Italian Alps.

In fact, the government is confident enough to already be debating first measures that would allow some relaxation of existing restrictions after Easter. First indications are that the latest Austrian measures will be adopted after Easter in Germany, too. This would allow staggered re-opening of shops and other businesses on condition that all customers wear masks.

• Like 1
  • I agree completely 1

6 hours ago, Grandpa Steve said:

I doubt you will get the chance as the true number of deaths are not recorded ?

They said only the other day that the 13 people that died in their care home was not added as not everyone goes to hospital .

Dave

17 hours ago, Lutz said:

First indications are that the latest Austrian measures will be adopted after Easter in Germany, too. This would allow staggered re-opening of shops and other businesses on condition that all customers wear masks.

I suppose each country must do what they think best for their population but I really cannot see that wearing a mask will make the slightest difference, unless those masks meet some very specific standards, as the we are told that the regular paper masks that are intended to filter out dust particles, are next to useless in preventing the passage of viruses. 

What I do believe is that regular cleansing of our hands and surfaces we touch, together with keeping a distance from others makes perfect sense. 

Gordon

• I agree completely 1

8 minutes ago, Gordon said:

I suppose each country must do what they think best for their population but I really cannot see that wearing a mask will make the slightest difference, unless those masks meet some very specific standards, as the we are told that the regular paper masks that are intended to filter out dust particles, are next to useless in preventing the passage of viruses. 

Gordon

My reading of the statements from various medical sources is that whilst simple masks do not directly offer much protection to the wearer they do greatly reduce the transmission by the wearer to others and are therefore worthwhile..