Sign in to follow this  
bessacarr425

People ignoring the advice.

50 minutes ago, kelper said:

That's a clever deduction.  Germans have always been meticulous with their record keeping!  :D

The true CFRs won't be known for a few months, when the pandemic is paused.

That's the 2nd time today that a quote has been attributed to the wrong person.  It was Lutz you quoted not myself!!

13 minutes ago, joanie said:

apparently she has been given a warning by the police and some folk are wanting her to stand down

She s got to go-her credibility has gone.

Just watching Nicola Sturgeon trying to defend her-her behaviour as chief medical officer was a resignation offence.

As distinct from-Kier Starmers first appearance as leader of Her Majesty s Opposition  in the centre of a crowd not practicing safe distancing in a public place on national tv.

Not a good start!

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

Posted (edited)
19 minutes ago, SamD said:

That's the 2nd time today that a quote has been attributed to the wrong person.

Sorry.  Easily done when you quote a quote.

Edited by kelper

4 hours ago, Townie said:

Dr Catherine Calderwood, (Scotlands Chief Medical Officer),  and her husband and children were photographed visiting their second home "just to check it" this weekend. They (according to reports), stayed overnight and then travelled back to Edinburgh. She has been on TV over the last few weeks urging people to stay at home and protect the NHS. Do as I say but NOT as I do??

According to the BBC report once at their second home they did not stay in but were seen walking over a golf course and when passing people in the village kept their social distance. She agrees what they did was wrong. https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-52171694 What an idiot, going from a large city which probably has many cases of the virus and possibly them taking it to a village, doing the opposite to what she was preaching to others to not visit second homes

• Like 1
  • I agree completely 1

I can understand checking a property if it left for awhile but two consecutive weekends ?

Dave

1 hour ago, Paul1957 said:

According to the BBC report once at their second home they did not stay in but were seen walking over a golf course and when passing people in the village kept their social distance. She agrees what they did was wrong. https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-52171694 What an idiot, going from a large city which probably has many cases of the virus and possibly them taking it to a village, doing the opposite to what she was preaching to others to not visit second homes

visited twice, consecutive weekends. Incredible.

Posted (edited)
4 hours ago, Lutz said:

I appreciate that, but I was comparing case fatality rates and these should be comparable:

The following example shows figures released by the Johns Hopkins University as of today.

grafik.png.1314774a9a4517349fc8e2966185863b.png

A possible explanation for the high case fatality rate in the UK is that people are dying before they have had a chance to be tested, but it still doesn't explain why there are so many more deaths per head of the population.

Surely you need to look at the typical death rate in each country BEFORE the virus struck as a baseline comparison. The UK healthcare on a day to day basis may just be worse than Germany? Or it could be how the figures are presented.

For some years the NHS has been grouping together all fatalities between Dec-Mar in hospitals where the person had a virus ...whether they died of the virus or not. It suits their agenda.  The BMJ has decried this many times.  
My father was hospitalised due to his multiple myeloma causing organ failure. After 4 days trying to ward off sepsis the doctors told me they could not win the battle. From that day his chart said ‘end of life’ treatment. Some days later he contracted norovirus (like everyone in the ward). His death certificate gave norovirus as one of the causes of death...yet he didn’t contract it till after being switched to EOL care.  

Another view... https://www.wired.co.uk/article/germany-coronavirus-death-rate

Another glaringly obvious statement on UK testing and recording is the number of people deemed to have recovered from the virus. The UK figure has been just 135 for over 2 weeks....

0972AD6E-435D-4F5C-A9F0-4150138A54E2.png

Edited by ericfield

Having a BBQ on the beach even if no one else is around is not essential.   The advice is simple enough.  If it carries on the lockdown will just get even stricter.  Same as everything a minority spoil it for everyone else. 

• I agree completely 1

if they can tell when you are on a non essential car journey and fine you £60, why can't they apply the same principal to those out when they shouldn't be?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ericfield said:

The UK healthcare on a day to day basis may just be worse than Germany? Or it could be how the figures are presented.

Or it could simply be that Germany has it yet to come. I hope not but it does seem likely

6 minutes ago, Easy T said:

Or it could simply be that Germany has it yet to come. I hope not but it does seem likely

I think its down to Germany testing 50000 per day +having 45000 ventilators.

From the cumulated deaths from covid 19 graph(Economist) Germany appears to be a few days behind us rather than weeks.

It would be interesting to know how Germany ‘handled’ the elderly and vulnerable from the outset. Was there a mindset if not edict to protect them as a priority?  I understand that 80% of those tested positive in Germany are under 60.   

I strongly believe the UK government should have instigated a ‘stay at home’ policy for at risk groups from the outset.  In just the same way they try to relieve pressure on the NHS every year by offering free flu jabs to these groups, they should have been equally  proactive in the absence of a Covid 19 jab and told oldies to stay at home sooner. 

2 minutes ago, ericfield said:

It would be interesting to know how Germany ‘handled’ the elderly and vulnerable from the outset. Was there a mindset if not edict to protect them as a priority?  I understand that 80% of those tested positive in Germany are under 60.   

I strongly believe the UK government should have instigated a ‘stay at home’ policy for at risk groups from the outset.  In just the same way they try to relieve pressure on the NHS every year by offering free flu jabs to these groups, they should have been equally  proactive in the absence of a Covid 19 jab and told oldies to stay at home sooner. 

Ah yes but think of the savings that they can make on the pension pot and blame something else.

10 minutes ago, ericfield said:

It is quite likely that the reason that there were less infected over the age of 60 is for a number of reasons. There are far more under age 60 mingling at the workplace and coming into contact with others than those over 60 for a start.

If over 60s were advised to stay at home it would have made little difference I suspect.

3 hours ago, kelper said:

Sorry.  Easily done when you quote a quote.

No apology needed - I thought it was a system error

It is quite likely that the reason that there were less infected over the age of 60 is for a number of reasons. There are far more under age 60 mingling at the workplace and coming into contact with others than those over 60 for a start.

If over 60s were advised to stay at home it would have made little difference I suspect.

You may well be right about the testing bias, but the majority of UK deaths, especially in the early stages were 70+.  I still believe (someone may well correct me) greater than 75% of the UK deaths are ...people who would have been considered prime candidates for flu jab protection. It’s this comparison that I feel is being missed.

I'm well over 60 and don't go out AT ALL! I want to go vanning again before I go to that great rehearsal room in the sky! Sorry - I'm a muso! :rolleyes:

Yorkguy;   I had to look up the word , muso , a musician, a new word to me. 

16 minutes ago, ericfield said:

You may well be right about the testing bias, but the majority of UK deaths, especially in the early stages were 70+.  I still believe (someone may well correct me) greater than 75% of the UK deaths are ...people who would have been considered prime candidates for flu jab protection. It’s this comparison that I feel is being missed.

By this I assume you mean those that are offered routine seasonal flu vaccinations.  Not that a flu vaccine would have any effect on the corona virus?

21 minutes ago, fred said:

By this I assume you mean those that are offered routine seasonal flu vaccinations.  Not that a flu vaccine would have any effect on the corona virus?

Yes, those defined in an ‘at risk’ group 

Posted (edited)
7 hours ago, AWanderingLancastrian said:

Hi Woodentop.  The Sky TV/BBC on-screen information at 11:10 hrs stated that it was from Hereford Cathedral on Palm Sunday which is today the 5th April 2020.

Disagree all you like who ever you are;but you were not watching it on television as was I.

Edited by AWanderingLancastrian

5 minutes ago, AWanderingLancastrian said:

Disagree all you like who ever you are;but you were not watching it on television as was I.

It was pre-recorded.

10 hours ago, Lutz said:

I'm glad that they're taking a more pragmatic approach here in Germany, 

The UK has a road network that requires a lot of daily management. Daily congestion and RTA's.

The non-essential travel is not only to cut down the risk of virus transfer but to reduce the burden on the Emergency Services, Breakdown Services and local authorities. 

1 hour ago, ericfield said:

My wife and I are over 70, as are many of our neighbours, and we are all going about out daily business much the same as before the virus except that we take care not to get too close to others including other members of the family, wash our hands even more often than usual and we wear masks when we go into supermarkets. There has not been any directive for us to do any more.

15 minutes ago, logiclee said:

The UK has a road network that requires a lot of daily management. Daily congestion and RTA's.

The non-essential travel is not only to cut down the risk of virus transfer but to reduce the burden on the Emergency Services, Breakdown Services and local authorities. 

I don't know  what the picture is like in the UK at the moment but here in Germany there are a lot more people taking their daily exercise by riding a bicycle. Everybody knows that the risk of injury in an accident is far greater on a bicycle than in a car. In fact, only this afternoon, while driving home, I saw a cyclist doing a somersault over the handlebars and hurting himself quite badly.

7 hours ago, AWanderingLancastrian said:

Yes of course there are but not necessarily being televised on Sunday 5th April 2020 at 11:10 hrs as I discovered and with NO ONSCREEN information as to the fact that it was prerecorded on March 22nd prior to the closure of areas where there could be mass gatherings.

Even the TV Guide did not indicate that it was pre-recorded at any time in the past.

When you are in a hole, stop digging.

There are many sources you could have checked before posting, and this is just one of them. Found by Google is your friends sesonds after reading your most recent post. :rolleyes: