Sign in to follow this  
Caravan Novice 101

7 Seater Tow Car

Hi,

We will be looking at changing our car end of this year  to a 7 seater and have been doing some research for a car that will also be future proof for if we decide to upgrade our caravan. We currently have a light weight caravan around MTPL of 1200kg. 

Can anyone recommend a good 7 seater that is also capable of towing say 1600kg. Have been looking at the Kia Sorento but seems pretty expensive but getting alot of car for money. 

Tend to buy cars few months old so looking a fairly new cars. 

Thanks for any advice. 

Ford Galaxy / VW Sharan etc

Posted (edited)

Hyundai Santa Fe?

Huge boot with 3rd row of seats down.

7 seater has self levelling suspension.:)

Edited by George&Ade
Missed words

Posted (edited)

Compile a list of possible vehicles and then do a tow check against a 1600 kg van and see what materialises. Also consider BHP and torque figures, these are vitally important. Volvo XC90 is a seven seater with 235 BHP and masses or torque and a superb tug. Not cheap but look at ex-demos or used vehicles in good condition.

Edited by yorkyguy
additional notes
  • Like 2

Ford S-Max

VW Touran 190PS

Vauxhall Zafira 1.9 has, I think, a 1600kg tow limit. I used to use it as a tow car for my 1465kg Pageant. 

S-Max , tow limit 1750kg for both 150 & 180ps.

Need to give a budget for people to have half a chance

Thanks for the suggestions. Hadn't considered a Ford S Max. Had only been looking a big 4x4 type vehicles. 

Hadn't thought about budget but normally look around £25k mark. 

I'm on my 4th S-max since 2009 and all of them have been excellent towcars- my next car is likely to be another one. Certainly worth looking at

Posted (edited)

Ignore

Edited by Orange
Read posts!

11 minutes ago, matelodave said:

I'm on my 4th S-max since 2009 and all of them have been excellent towcars- my next car is likely to be another one. Certainly worth looking at

What spec level would you recommend as best value for money? 

Sorento gets my vote. Ours was brilliant. 

Posted (edited)

If you want a SUV then newish at that budget it’s probably a Skoda Kodiaq just be wary the 2.0TDI 4wd manual 7 seater isn’t type approved fit towing

Edited by FrankBullet

Posted (edited)

Mine have all been Titanium, You get the best combination of toys/cost. My mate has a Titanium X which was considerably more expensive but you really have to decide what you want or need. I've had both manual and auto (Powershift), my last three have been powershift.

I've had 140ps, 150ps and 180ps. All are more than capable but the 400nm or torque on the 180ps does pull better and changes gear less frequently. 

My present van is 1550kg and my next will be 1600kg. As I said, have a test drive - we are really plaesed with them but others might have a different opinion. 

Edited by matelodave

Large choice remember most SUV seats 6+7 aren’t really that spacious.

Youtube have hundreds of car reviews might be worth having a look there

Duncan

A genuine 7 seater like Galaxy, Sharan or Alhambra will offer better space in the rear seats than a 7 seat 4x4 or a 7 seat estate car or estate derived 7 seater like S-max, though this really only becomes an issue if you need to seat adults or older teenagers in the third row.

I would look at a Ssangyong Rexton which uses a lot of Mercedes components including the excellent 7g-tronic auto box on some models, 3500kg towing limit, better than average rear seat space for a 4x4 and 7 year 150k miles warranty.

Posted (edited)
6 hours ago, PMW said:

A genuine 7 seater like Galaxy, Sharan or Alhambra will offer better space in the rear seats than a 7 seat 4x4 or a 7 seat estate car or estate derived 7 seater like S-max, though this really only becomes an issue if you need to seat adults or older teenagers in the third row.

I would look at a Ssangyong Rexton which uses a lot of Mercedes components including the excellent 7g-tronic auto box on some models, 3500kg towing limit, better than average rear seat space for a 4x4 and 7 year 150k miles warranty.

Latest version uses their own 2.2 engine (Euro6) and an Aisin gearbox. As the OP is looking at used he may well pick up one with Mercedes running gear. The 7 year 150k warranty applies to new cars.

Edited by Tuningdrew
Additional text.

Until January I had a 7 seater Santa Fe with self levelling suspension for 10 years, excellent tow car - previously had 2 of the 5 seat version which also went well. Changed to a 2016 SsangYong Rexton ( 5 seat as don’t need the 7 ) for the comfort of the extra towing capacity and nose weight. Due to the current virus problems have only been able to tow the van once but I didn’t really know the van was on the back.  The balance of the warranty was transferred over to me.  Would recommend both vehicles.

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Tuningdrew said:

Latest version uses their own 2.2 engine (Euro6) and an Aisin gearbox. As the OP is looking at used he may well pick up one with Mercedes running gear. The 7 year 150k warranty applies to new cars.

Didn't realise they'd changed transmissions. They made much of the Mercedes transmission in the sales brochures. They've used their own engines in the Rextons since about 2015,initially a 2 litre then changing to 2.2 for the Euro 6.Think the 7 year warranty came in 2017 for Rexton when the new model was launched. Is it transferable to subsequent owners? 

Edited by Dobloseven
Missed text

Thanks for all the suggestions. Certainly given me more options to look at and some I hadn't even thought about. 

21 minutes ago, Dobloseven said:

Didn't realise they'd changed transmissions. They made much of the Mercedes transmission in the sales brochures. They've used their own engines in the Rextons since about 2015,initially a 2 litre then changing to 2.2 for the Euro 6.Think the 7 year warranty came in 2017 for Rexton when the new model was launched. Is it transferable to subsequent owners? 

I think it must be. We’ve got our Musso on 5 year finance contract. Salesman said that if we didn’t want to keep it at the end it would be in our interest to buy it then sell it on as it would still be under warranty at the end for 2 years. 

I’ve   not studied the terms of the warranty in detail apart from noting it needs an annual service by the dealer. Cost wise £150 then £250-ish alternating years. (This also includes breakfast for two at a local cafe!). It doesn’t appear to be a sliding scale reducing the items covered as the warranty runs down.I’ll probably do an interim oil change at  6 months too. 

Warranty appears to include everything other than brake discs and pads. (Clutch presumably too on the manual).

We are on our third Sorento and they are great towing cars (2500 manual, 2000 auto) but if you really want to use 7 seats all the time, then look elsewhere. Yes, you have 7 seats but the rear two are really emergency seats or seats for smaller children (or amputees!). When using the rear seats you would get almost no boot space either.

The same would be true of the Santa Fe and presumably similar SUVs.

If you want something really bullet proof and can tow in excess of 1600kg then look no further than a Shogun which has rear seats with room.  A bit agricultural and heavy on fuel but low maintenance.  As all the mod cons.

If you don't want to follow the current SUV trend and don't want an MPV, Mercedes offer the E Class estate with two rear facing seats. Obviously there are limitations with this but it might suit!