Mark Jones

Static site fees in this Covid19 period

2 hours ago, Sueca said:

Thanks, I’ll pass on your suggestion. One thing I’ve picked up on though, from reading all replies on this thread, is it seems to be down to the individual to sort out when the time comes.

“Negotiating with the site owner when things become clearer is an extremely sensible attitude “ you say. Ok, say I negotiate successfully but my neighbours don’t?We have an owners group on Facebook -  but only a third have joined.  There’s too much disparity within the industry; it seems caravan park owners, large or small, are a law unto themselves.

Obviously the site owners will try to protect their business but it is not their fault the individual caravan owners won’t join the Facebook group and act together. Perhaps the 2/3rds that haven’t,  are happy with the situation. Could that be the case?? 

It’s possible I suppose,  but the group was formed long before this crisis. I only found out by chance that there’s an owners group. Probably the others don’t know about it either.  The point I was trying to make was that the parks should eventually have a nationwide policy under these particular circumstances so it shouldn’t be left to individuals to go cap in hand.

Maybe you could ask the local council about the business rates for the site.

I think (not being a member, cannot be sure) that the BH&HPA are trying to get their member parks to have a common policy on this. Of course, not all parks are members of the BH&HPA anyway. 

As far as the van owners group is concerned, it may well be possible that many have not joined because they are not on facebook.

I believe we are entitled to NOTHING.!.....But what bugs me is .... Did the government give businesses free business rates ?..(.I assume a caravan park is a business ?)

And as caravan owners have already paid their rates (fees) for the year ....Does this mean park owners are up on the deal ?...

I'd settle for a gauruntee ...Of no rates increase for next year ?......

But I won't hold my breath !

3 hours ago, PeterR said:

I believe we are entitled to NOTHING.!.....But what bugs me is .... Did the government give businesses free business rates ?..(.I assume a caravan park is a business ?)

And as caravan owners have already paid their rates (fees) for the year ....Does this mean park owners are up on the deal ?...

I'd settle for a gauruntee ...Of no rates increase for next year ?......

But I won't hold my breath !

Friend of mine has had his fees reduced by 400 a year because the site has had its Business rates cancelled.

• Like 1

On 07/04/2020 at 09:17, Durbanite said:

I am not sure but aren't councils suspending council tax for some properties as per the government or something along those lines?

I would think that the site fee takes into account council taxes, utility availability i.e. water and electric installation but not charges per unit, maintenance etc.  Obviously costs may be lower during this period but I doubt if any site owner will pass on these savings to his clients.

Hi can I answer your question on council tax not been paid..my site has been in touch to say the business rates have been scrapped for the rest of the year and because I pay my pitch fee seperatly from my utility bills gas,electric,water they will waive the bills as a sign of goodwill..very fair I think..

• Thanks 1

static caravan s do not pay council tax, a portion of their site fees probably go to help pay the sites rates but it will only be a small amount our rates paid separately are £360  + vat  year so around £30 month.   our site has stated they will freeze fees for 2021  and are applying a £400  credit to out account which can be used for gas/electric/ gas service/ drain down, im more than happy with what they are offering.for a 3 month close down.

• Like 1

This subject was discussed on the Martin Lewis Money Show a couple of nights ago, As with so many issues this is a developing situation and there is no guaranteed advice at the moment. However, what did come out in the discussion was that the Competition and Markets Authority has already voiced an opinion on the matter along the lines of "if services can't be accessed refunds should be given".  

Here is a link to the discussion article.

https://www.moneysavingexpert.com/news/2020/05/can-i-get-a-refund-on-static-caravan-fees-if-i-can-t-use-it--/

On 06/04/2020 at 08:31, Odd days said:

I predict a market swamped with 2nd hand static vans soon. I wonder where they all go. 

Either that ...Or it could go the other way ?...People can't go or choose not to go abroad for a couple of years because of uncertainty ?.... Caravan staycations and sales or let's may increase ?

Just a thought ?

The unfairness lays there that the caravan parks could furlough their staff, didn't pay a penny for water or electricity which is included into the park fee in my site and still doesn't want to give back anything to the owners. 

They don't have to but they should if they were correct. But they are not. I think they gain money with this 3/12 restriction.

If the fee includes utilities then you can get some return by using them to excess once you are allowed back on site. If you have a washer then do all your washing before going home, put electric heating on if normally using gas that you pay for, wash your car with a hose pipe and there must be other ways too.