I am thinking of swapping my Ssangyong Rexton ultimate 2018 for a new Ssangyong Musso. Same inside, just a pickup and much better on company car tax.

Question. Do any sites get a bit snotty when you tip up with a pickup. New or otherwise? 

I'm towing a new Hobby 620cl so need something a little larger, hence the Ssangyong. 

Thanks.

Andy. 

I don’t know about a pick up but I have a mate that tows with a van and has no problem he was told as long as there is no contractors or works name on the side they had no problem getting on sites 

• Like 1

Not these days, loads of people run pick-ups as family cars now

• Like 1

Do I recall that there have been threads on the concern of Pickups having very stiff rear suspension causing problems with the vans hitch? 

Chris in Warwickshire, Elddis Odyssey 482 (2008), Mitsubishi Outlander diesel, 2017

11 minutes ago, ChrisUK said:

Do I recall that there have been threads on the concern of Pickups having very stiff rear suspension causing problems with the vans hitch? 

Or, more likely, the van’s chassis, but I think you can get a sort of shock absorber towing hitch to get round that problem.

Edited by Orange

We tow with a new 2019 Nissan Navara; no issues re towing and you will find if you speak to your manufacturer that there is no an issue either-Lunar were the only exception as far as I am aware but since all of the chassis are the same there shouldn't really be a problem. 

Shock absorber hitches are not approved for use on modern vehicles -if the towbar is type approved it isn't legal and isn't necessary as far as I can see-and the mags reviewed the Sangyong and it did quite well. Our Nav tows nigh on 2000kg of Bucanneer as if it were not there and the suspension settles really nicely and we averaged 31mpg on a trip to Sutton on Sea just before the virus hit! If you drive and like it don't think it will disappoint as a towcar.

We are accepted on  any  sites- we have tried both clubs and Morris Leisure but some do stipulate  no signwriting which we  don't have-and ignore the rubbish about being tail light-yes with an empty load bed it can need the 4wd on a muddy field (when walking the dog), but day in day out it is the best all rounder we've ever had and we've had a few cars! And of course with a caravan on rwd traction is amazing! In spite of 190bhp no wheel spin.

You shouldn’t have any problems as someone else said loads of people use them these days.

You should have a read of your caravan book to see about warranty being affected by pick up towing.

On a side note ,how long is your van as there’s quite a few Hobby vans that fall foul of length restrictions,

Duncan

61 Santa Fe & 2011 Bailey Olympus 624

Last year, in June, we went to a campsite between Ashley Heath and  Three legged Cross. We wanted to suss it out for a prospective visit this year. We did not get beyond the gate because the owner/manager of the site told us in no uncertain terms "we don't take pick-ups". We were in our clean and tidy 2016 Navara, which we use exclusively as personal transport. The lady didn't even want us to park up and walk round the site. I tried to suggest that we could bring our unit on-site and then park the vehicle in their overflow car-park. The response was "No Pick-Ups". I suspect that the lady associated Pick-Ups with a certain undesirable section of the community. 

So although I think it is rare, there certainly is a bias out there. 

Although we've not been subjected to it (we have a Swift), I have direct knowledge of a prejudice against German 'vans. Sometimes specified in a campsite's booking conditions.

I’ve just started towing with a new Musso Rebel. Only towed a couple of times but been very impressed with it. Very carlike inside and out as it’s basically a Rexton  pickup.Seems to have plenty of grunt and feels very stable. Most noticeable thing is it’s sooooooo quiet inside. Very little engine noise, at times inaudible and no wind noise either. Decent tyres on 17” rims seem to produce little road noise. Go for Saracen spec for all the toys and proper leather. The Rebel gets very good faux leather, heated and cooled seats and heated steering wheel. Still waiting for the hardtop, be a few more weeks yet for good reason. Ride is a bit harsh, like the Navara before it. Ssangyong have already revised the rear spring rates and deleted the big wheels with skinny tyres. The ride improves with a bit of weight on the back but I may investigate getting some more progressive springs for it. I’ve no doubt all the caravanning kit will be swallowed up in the back once the top is fitted leaving just the waste and water hogs and a couple of reclining chairs to go in the caravan. The 7 year/150k miles warranty is a bonus too.

Edited by Tuningdrew

IMHO, I would never tow with a standard pick up without a bit of load in the cargo area.

This weight helps to soften the rear springs a bit also helps with rear brakes---less chance of jack knifing under heavy braking.

55 minutes ago, Tuningdrew said:

I’ve just started towing with a new Musso Rebel. Only towed a couple of times but been very impressed with it. Very carlike inside and out as it’s basically a Rexton  pickup.Seems to have plenty of grunt and feels very stable. Most noticeable thing is it’s sooooooo quiet inside. Very little engine noise, at times inaudible and no wind noise either. Decent tyres on 17” rims seem to produce little road noise. Go for Saracen spec for all the toys and proper leather. The Rebel gets very good faux leather, heated and cooled seats and heated steering wheel. Still waiting for the hardtop, be a few more weeks yet for good reason. Ride is a bit harsh, like the Navara before it. Ssangyong have already revised the rear spring rates and deleted the big wheels with skinny tyres. The ride improves with a bit of weight on the back but I may investigate getting some more progressive springs for it. I’ve no doubt all the caravanning kit will be swallowed up in the back once the top is fitted leaving just the waste and water hogs and a couple of reclining chairs to go in the caravan. The 7 year/150k miles warranty is a bonus too.

Thanks everyone. Of we are ever allowed out of the house again I will go and look at one. 

I have a new Hobby 620cl and yes, it is under 7m. 🙈

We have the Korando Sports 2015 model.

Rear leg room a bit small but great to drive.

My caravan has a pathetic payload so all the stuff goes in the van.

Just had new rear springs fitted as both originals cracked, but I think we now have the updated ones. 

Mine is on 18 inch alloys.

The ride is a bit harsh compared to the Korando SUV we had before but to be expected.

As the truck is on traditional shocks and springs the caravan will be ok. It is leaf spring that causes problems.

Never had a problem on site. The Eurotunnel told me if the hardtop has windows in it then treat it like a large 4x4. Ours has the 5 speed MB auto box. 

It's had a few issues but overall a great car.

13 hours ago, blondchaser said:

IMHO, I would never tow with a standard pick up without a bit of load in the cargo area.

This weight helps to soften the rear springs a bit also helps with rear brakes---less chance of jack knifing under heavy braking.

Only time we tow the  bed is fully loaded even for a long weekend with Isabella awning and annex, poles and groundsheet, peg boxes with hammers, all the stuff for water and electrical hookups,  clothes,  food and drink, folding cupboards and a big table. The hitch and wheel locks go in there too and a battery sds drill and a little trolley jack. It’s all in Really Useful Boxes or folding crates so doesn’t move around. Probably not anywhere near it’s 1000kg payload but pretty heavy nonetheless!  
Even empty I couldn’t see this rig jackknifing unless you were daft enough to tow over 100% in which case you only have yourself to blame. 

18 hours ago, ChrisUK said:

18 hours ago, Orange said:

Or, more likely, the van’s chassis, but I think you can get a sort of shock absorber towing hitch to get round that problem.

Some questions were raised about the caravans chassis being damaged by the relatively stiff suspension of certain pickups, usually those with rear leaf spring suspension. I think that the Musso has coil spring rear suspension?. If it doesn't, a phone call to Hobby will settle the question. As far as site owners getting snotty about pickups, we towed our Swift with an L200 for around 3 years, and never had a problem. I usually phoned the site before booking, and the only question I was ever asked was "Does the side of the pickup have signwriting on it?" When I replied "No", I never had any problems.

2014 SsangYong Rexton W towing a 2017 Sprite Major 4EB. (After June 9th).