Sign in to follow this  
Julie D

Caravan Awning

I bought a Tuscany 1000 (green)awning on Facebook.  I didn’t expect it to be brilliant, but the add said it was in good condition and no tears - it cost £165. 
When it arrived I opened it up and found one of the front panels was missing, so were the curtains, curtain rails and the awning skirt. 
I’ve asked for a refund but she’s adamant that everything was there when she posted it. 
 Does anyone know where I can get a spare front panel. 
Thanks

I think your only chance will be Ebay and such.

Like this https://tinyurl.com/t5s64bb

The curtain rails and curtains shouldn't be a great problem, many different van manufacturers use the same or similar products, you just need to work out the sizes you need, or even make some.

Google caravan breakers, they sometimes have these.

The skirt shouldn't be a problem either, you can buy it new by the meter, or again lots of second hand ones turn up,just make sure a second hand one is the correct length or longer, they're simple to shorten.

The panel could be a problem, you may not be able to get one in the same colour, keep scouring Ebay etc. awning panels do turn up and sometimes full awnings but with no poles.

Another option would be to contact caravan dealers who also sell awnings, they  sometimes have a collection of awning bits from awnings and caravans taken in part ex.

Some awning manufacturers have the same basic awning sold under different names so you may have some luck if anyone on CT knows of the same awning sold under different names.

You could always contact the manufacturer, depending on the age of it they may well be able to help.

Good luck.

The awning skirt isn't usually included when buying an awning.   Plenty of places can supply by the required length.   Measure your skirt rail; add three or four inches and look HERE.   About seven quid a metre including postage.   For the missing panel - an awning repairer could make you one up.   Google for any that may be local to you.

1 hour ago, Jaydug said:

The awning skirt isn't usually included when buying an awning.   Plenty of places can supply by the required length.   Measure your skirt rail; add three or four inches and look HERE.   About seven quid a metre including postage.   For the missing panel - an awning repairer could make you one up.   Google for any that may be local to you.

Not had that problem, every awning I have bought, even cheap ones come with skirt 🤔

4 minutes ago, kiaboy said:

Not had that problem, every awning I have bought, even cheap ones come with skirt 🤔

Depends whether you mean the skirt around the sides and front, or the separate skirt which fits along the caravan lower rail.

John

7 minutes ago, Johnaldo said:

Depends whether you mean the skirt around the sides and front, or the separate skirt which fits along the caravan lower rail.

What you describe a "skirt around the sides and front" is more usually called the mudwall.

Did the package look as though it had been opened or damaged? 

If so then you could try making a claim against the courier. 

If not then it sounds as though it was not in the package at all, so contact Facebook Support.

1 hour ago, kiaboy said:

Ok!   I stand corrected.   Never-the-less, my Trio didn't come with an awning skirt.

Are we talking about the skirt for the lower awning rail to stop winds under the van

OR

The skirt along the lower edge of each of three sides where the awning touches the ground

?? 

I presumed it was your first option that the OP was referring to.   I've always called your second option the mud-wall,

And of course, unless you took out all the stitching, the mud-wall couldn't be separated from the rest of the awning.

Regarding the missing panel the OP mentioned.   During last summer, https://citcamping.co.uk/

put in a new zip in one of my panels.   Several years ago they also extended an awning for me.   Given that they can do both jobs, as I said earlier, they could also make up a replacement for her missing panel.

Posted (edited)
7 hours ago, Julie D said:

I bought a Tuscany 1000 (green)awning on Facebook.  I didn’t expect it to be brilliant, but the add said it was in good condition and no tears - it cost £165. 
When it arrived I opened it up and found one of the front panels was missing, so were the curtains, curtain rails and the awning skirt. 
I’ve asked for a refund but she’s adamant that everything was there when she posted it. 
Thanks

I think you may have to put this down to experience and start again unfortunately.  

1. the draught skirt is really not a problem (assuming it is the draught skirt for the gap between the ground and the caravan and not the mud skirts that have been removed for whatever reason).  Buy it by the metre from any number of caravan accessory suppliers   
  2. the curtains are replaceable although they’d probably have to be ‘made’  by somebody handy with a sewing machine
  3. the rails?  I have never had an awning with removable rails - they’ve always had sewn in ‘tracks’ with ‘hooks’ to match fitted to the curtains.  Again, this doesn’t seem impossible to overcome.

The chances of finding a specific panel for your awning seems vanishingly remote though.  

• Pyramid Products, the  company that specified and imported these Chinese made awning  has (I believe) ceased trading so no enquiry avenue there.  
  • having a panel made by an awning ‘tailor/repairer’  is likely to eyewateringly expensive, (especially when set against the price you paid for the awning) but may be possible although colour matching will be problematic
  • the chance of somebody selling an awning piece by piece... probably not something you should hold your breath until it presents itself.
  • buying another entire awning to get the panel makes the whole thing an expensive used awning, albeit with any number of spare parts.

Points 1, 2 & 3 are optional extras if you like but the panel...  My instinct would be to appeal again to the seller... a lost panel, tracks & curtains etc seems unlikely unless they were packed separately and are now lost in a parcel depot somewhere.   If you are very confident that they were never there, name and shame on FB.  Dodgy sellers are not uncommon and others may have encountered yours before.

When I have sold my previous awnings, in each case the buyer came to view before parting with their money.  Buyer (them) & seller (me) happy with sale.   View before you buy if you can .

Edited by ReggiePerrin
Missing words & Spollchucking

7 hours ago, Julie D said:

Thanks

I think your best bet is to try to get a refund and return the awning.  Try eBay, item not as described.  

If you paid by PayPal, contact them.  Plenty of people will be able to advise you as to the correct course of action.  I think you have to raise a dispute but I have no experience of this.  A search on Google will probably help.  Don't let her get away with it.  

33 minutes ago, rovinmad said:

Try eBay, item not as described.  

If you paid by PayPal, contact them. 

First post by OP says Facebook, not eBay

25 minutes ago, rovinmad said:

I think your best bet is to try to get a refund and return the awning.  Try eBay, item not as described.  

If you paid by PayPal, contact them.  Plenty of people will be able to advise you as to the correct course of action.  I think you have to raise a dispute but I have no experience of this.  A search on Google will probably help.  Don't let her get away with it.  

It wasn't bought on Ebay, it was bought on Facebook !

I doubt it was paid for by PayPal but if it was that's the way to go with a SNAD claim, but if she only described it as in good condition and no tears, what the op got was in good condition and no tears then it would have been as described, it's not up to the seller to describe faults, missing parts etc, as long as they don't mislead, sadly it's up to the seller to ask the questions, not presume, which is natural, that everything is there.

The fact that the seller said " .............but she’s adamant that everything was there when she posted it. " which I hope is in an email and it was bought using PayPal there is a bit of hope.

Many items bought on Facebook  are private sales so there are very few, if any, legal re-courses.

4 minutes ago, WispMan said:

You beat me to it WP. :rolleyes:

10 hours ago, WispMan said:

Sorry, didn't notice that.  I don't know anything about Facebook.  

It's got to be stretching things too far to say it's in good condition when there's major parts missing.

Is there no recourse available via Facebook at all?

12 minutes ago, rovinmad said:

Is there no recourse available via Facebook at all?

None.  

Facebook is the equivalent of the classified ads in a local newspaper or a postcard in a shop window (do they still do that?). Beyond hosting the advert, they have zero involvement with the sale/purchase itself and thus have no liability to either buyer or seller.  

If you get ripped off there is little you can do - the seller is ‘unknown’ and may well have used a fake name and profile.  The goods have no verifiable provenance.  Payment is frequently made in unrecoverable cash, bank transfer or PayPal Gift whatever simply transferring cash from one account to another is.

Unless buying very low value items for a couple of tens of pounds or inspecting the goods before any money changes hands, FB really should be avoided as a market place.

• I agree completely 2

Posted (edited)

Well I'd never heard of buying and selling on Facebook.  With it being as you describe it beats me why people bother with it.

Edited by rovinmad

I have sold  no end of stuff on Facebook marketplace, sometimes within a few minutes. This includes cars, caravan stuff, kids toys, bikes. Literally when tidying out the garage just been photographing and listing it as I go.

The key is all in the accuracy of the listing, I’ve often asked for more photos of the item before parting with any loot. If it’s being posted ask them to send it via Hermes and pay the extra for the insurance.

About two years ago we tried FB via the daughter for a caravan for her.  What a load of rubbish 

The missing front panel is probably one of two which are the same but the other one is a mirror image. If this is so, you could try the panel you have and see if it fits. You then have a pattern which you could take to any awning company and ask them to make a mirror image replica out of some similar material, or  get them to cut down a similar second hand panel. This may be your best plan and the lowest cost. Its rotton luck what has happened to you, and there isnt much you can do about the seller. You never know, a used awning repairer may help you out.

On 01/04/2020 at 22:23, Silversurf said:

but if she only described it as in good condition and no tears, what the op got was in good condition and no tears then it would have been as described, it's not up to the seller to describe faults, missing parts etc, as long as they don't mislead,

This isn't correct. If an item is offered for sale described as being in "good condition" then it must be fit for purpose, so missing key parts such as a panel cannot be considered good condition. You couldn't sell a car for example as being in good condition if it had no engine, even if the bodywork and interior were impeccable. 

Sadly Facebook is littered with unscrupulous sellers who have items to offload that they cannot sell through other means as the buyer protection would see the payment cancelled. As we have already heard, facebook offers no control of what is offered for sale, or protection for buyers when something goes wrong, so it's buyer beware. Your only recourse is through a civil action and if all you have is your word against the seller then that is unlikely to be successful.

When buying on facebook always view the goods, never ever buy remotely no matter how tempting the offer or how much the seller says about condition. If it is not feasible to view the goods then move on and keep looking. 

As for resolving the situation then you are unlikely to find a panel advertised for sale, so it's a case of as you have done here - keep asking. Prepare an email describing the panel, with a photo if possible and all dimensions and send it to as many used awning and second hand caravan dealers as you can find on google, bing etc. There will be a panel out there to suit, somewhere there will be an awning with a damaged frame, or torn roof which is beyond economic repair, you just need to find it. Ask on every caravan forum you can, UK Campsite, Club forums etc. 

Failing that then all you can do is try and sell on what you have as spares, list the panels you have and the frame separately in ebay etc and try and get as much of your money back as you can.