I'm classed as front line working at the Airport Fire Service and like most of us have taken the Government Guidelines very seriously. I was actually thinking in cycling into my work seeing as the nights are getting lighter and basically want to remove me Christmas Splodge but being a round trip of 60 miles the government guideline is stating  you must minimise the time you are out either ,walking ,cycling and running with the usual 2 meter safe distance. So a round trip of 60 miles is maybe unacceptable during the restrictions.

I have never seen the A77 cycle lane so busy on my return home from work ( in my car ) and when you are on this stretch of road you are a good hour from either Glasgow or Kilmarnock and that's just getting off the main roads. Being a keen cyclist I find the attitudes of them all very disappointing especially when I witnessed some bunched up. I suppose just another example of the selfishness using the rules to suit themselves.... Not good Ladies and Gentlemen...

Not a Rant just an observation.... :)... Stay safe People ...

GAS ....:ph34r: 

• Like 2

"to be auld and wise you must first be young and daft "

People are using the slack/not completely specific guidelines to their own advantage.  I'm also a keen cyclist and the thought of going from 75 to 100 miles a week to nothing was not an easy pill to swallow so I continued with my 25 mile route at lunch times.  I saw a few solo-cyclists and a few in small groups.  If you think about it, even though some may look close together, if you measured the distance from head-to-head it might well be the recommended 2 metres gap.  Being a miserable sod I tend to go out on my own so I can keep to my own set pace.

In light of potential further restrictions I have now got my bike set up on the turbo trainer and discovered a whole new world of boredom!

bike.jpg

• Like 2

2018 Volvo V90 and 2018 Swift Sprite Quattro EB

My exercise is taken in the gym, so I am struggling at the moment - I’ve tried a few sessions in the conservatory but I like the cross trainer and decent weights rather than body resistance stuff

Smashing set up. I don't know if the 2 meter distance would work  when they are shouting and bawling at each other especially whilst taking on a hill..... They should be under the same restrictions as a car owner going to the park.... 

GAS ...

5 minutes ago, GaryB1969 said:

People are using the slack/not completely specific guidelines to their own advantage.  I'm also a keen cyclist and the thought of going from 75 to 100 miles a week to nothing was not an easy pill to swallow so I continued with my 25 mile route at lunch times.  I saw a few solo-cyclists and a few in small groups.  If you think about it, even though some may look close together, if you measured the distance from head-to-head it might well be the recommended 2 metres gap.  Being a miserable sod I tend to go out on my own so I can keep to my own set pace.

Applying some form  of logic (always a dangerous tactic), the two metre separation is intended to prevent exhaled water droplets carrying to another person. Therefore, while cycling, the water droplets will be left way behind in your slipstream and the following distance should be correspondingly greater.

• Like 1
  • I agree completely 1
1 minute ago, Grumpy Auld Smeesh said:

Smashing set up. I don't know if the 2 meter distance would work  when they are shouting and bawling at each other especially whilst taking on a hill..... They should be under the same restrictions as a car owner going to the park.... 

GAS ...

I was amazed how many places had sold out of turbo trainers, I think a lot of people had the same ideas.  They are good but VERY different to actually being out on the road.  As you are always pedalling against a resistance you don't get any of the free-wheeling/downhill respite that you do on the road.  I only do 20 minutes a day on it but it feels like an hour and a half's worth of road riding!  The boredom is excruciating and the lack of wind/airflow adds to the pain.

One other point regarding road riding is the potential to be involved in an accident and add to the already stretched NHS service, this was another reason for me setting up indoors.  Looking at the weather forecast for next week there will be a fair few tempted to venture outside.

On my regular local walks I'm often closely passed by runners and cyclists huffing and puffing.

Vigorous exercise like cycling and running means you are breathing heavily and ejecting more droplets and aerosols of spit, which probably requires a separation of far more than 2 metres.

Land Rover on SORN so not towing anything for a while

As some of you already know, I had a triple bypass last August and I spent my recovery time gradually building up my walking distance. When the appalling series of storms hit us in Nov/Dec Jan and Feb, I asked the cardiac rehab team if static cycling was OK for rehab purposes. They said definitely yes, so I started using my old clapped out exercise bike. Then I bought a new one as an early Christmas present to myself, (the same as the ones used in the cardio rehab clinic). As soon as I've finished decorating the exercise/computer/bedroom, and moved it back in there, I'll be back doing my 35 mins a day. I know some people find static cycling boring, but I quite enjoy listening to the radio and peddling. 

Stay safe and (hopefully) fit.

2014 SsangYong Rexton W towing a 2017 Sprite Major 4EB. (After June 9th).

18 minutes ago, Townie said:

I know some people find static cycling boring, but I quite enjoy listening to the radio and peddling. 

Stay safe and (hopefully) fit.

I use a Go-Pro camera when out cycling so I'm going to see if I can play it back through the TV in front of me to try and re-live some of the routes while pedalling indoors, it might help (a bit).

• Like 1

I joined a gym when I retired, and now cannot do much in the way of exercise, I have borrowed a barbell and a dumbell from my BIL and I do something with them but it's not the same.

I have some of the original Sufferfest videos downloaded onto an old Android tablet, which can connect and play to a full size TV through an HDMI cable. One of them is in HD so cycling through the Dolomites I can enjoy the scenery. As far as overheating is concerned I turbo train through the winter in an unheated garage and still need a pedestal fan, although I do have a few layers on the upper body. I also find Sufferfest choice of music is also pretty good for the level of exercise required and has some eclectic choices of little known bands, to me at any rate. 

I'm waiting at this moment for a hip operation, but able to pedal, although a static bike is the only one I can mount, due to very restricted twisting movement around the hip.

John.

Edited by John19
  • Like 1

I’m working from home, so to add to my limited exercise regime have decided to double up on my trips to the kettle which has now had the added benefit of doubling my trips to the loo 😃

• Haha 3

2018 Volvo XC60  D4 AWD + Penshurst Premier Plus (AKA Elddis Affinity 550)

1 hour ago, GaryB1969 said:

One other point regarding road riding is the potential to be involved in an accident and add to the already stretched NHS service, this was another reason for me setting up indoors.  Looking at the weather forecast for next week there will be a fair few tempted to venture outside.

Yip the main reason why I have decided to stay put. Assisted a cyclist last year who came off his Steed due to the painted road markings. Ended up with a broken hip.A good hour be fore he was taken to hospital due the location... Missing ma bike ! :mellow:

GAS ...

It never ceases to amaze me how some people will always find a reason to stop somebody doing something that doesn't cause harm to anyone else. 

Re the OP, go for it, you're no more at risk to yourself, and certainly not to anyone else, than driving the 60mls round trip. And that's before we look at pollution.

Stay at home and stay safe? Yes, and fall down the stairs, or cut yourself with the kitchen knife, or on an opened tin, or whilst doing DIY, fall off ladders, or cut yourself on a tool, or splash paint in your eye, or stab your foot with a garden fork, or have something heavy fall on you, etc, etc, etc.

• I agree completely 1

The thought of doing up to 2 hours cycling before and then after work to cover the 30 miles each way would be enough to put me off. I think I would want somebody following in a car so when I got tired I could get in or maybe ask a colleague going the same route to car share part of the way.

I am a member of a large German gym chain (McFit), unfortunately they are all closed due to Corona (fair enough, gyms are a breeding ground for germs).

I’m off work, the weather is lovely here and we’re not as restricted here as you lot in the UK so  ON MY OWN, I’m  currently doing:

Day 1: 60 to 100 km Road Bike

Day 2: 30 km Touring Bike

Day 3: 50 Km Mountain Bike

Day 4: Gardening

Repeat. 

• Like 1

2015 3. 2 Auto Mitsubishi Pajero tugging a 2016 Tabbert Pucinni 2. 5e

1 hour ago, Jacko1 said:

I’m working from home, so to add to my limited exercise regime have decided to double up on my trips to the kettle which has now had the added benefit of doubling my trips to the loo 😃

Soon be needing a new stair carpet then, presuming upstairs loo. :lol:

Common sense isn't a gift, it's a punishment because you have to deal with everyone who doesn't have it.  :rolleyes:

I’ve just been cycling for 3 hours, we don’t have anywhere near the restrictions you’ve got in the UK.
We’ve had it longer than Britain and we’ve lost less than 900 people total, UK is now losing over 500 a day!!!! I’m really concerned about my UK friends and family.

Seriously, why is that? The UK keep saying it’s because Germany test more but I don’t know anyone who’s been tested, there is no routine testing here, only if you’re admitted to hospital. 

Could it be that beer and sausages are the answer 🤔😷🍺🌭

In the UK it's been reported that Germany tested a lot of people who had been skiing at the beginning of the outbreak

Larry from Essex

2019 Bailey Unicorn Cabrera 2017 Kuga 2. 0 TDCi 150

5 minutes ago, Guzzilazz said:

In the UK it's been reported that Germany tested a lot of people who had been skiing at the beginning of the outbreak

They are not randomly testing though and even if they were, if would not stop people  dying if they were in the ‘at risk group’.

It just puzzles me why more folk are pegging it in Italy, Spain and the UK compared to Germany. We all have similar lifestyles and healthcare systems so why has Germany (up to now), had much fewer deaths?

Posted (edited)
45 minutes ago, Borussia 1900 said:

We all have similar lifestyles and healthcare systems so why has Germany (up to now), had much fewer deaths?

.... because the Germans are more switched on me thinks and most probably sticking to government  guidelines.. Could not believe what I witnessed yet again on the news this morning. A train load of passengers exiting a train then waiting for the next train to arrive on the opposite platform. Mingling together no 2 meter safety distance. I wonder how many were front line staff  ?? We need the Indian Police Stick style....

GAS ...:rolleyes: 

Edited by Grumpy Auld Smeesh
  • I agree completely 1

Here in Livingston we are blessed with an excellent network of paths including riverside and woodland walks.

I do a daily 3 mile walk using these paths before breakfast and will meet/pass on average 4 or 5 other people, usually dog walkers, and we keep to more than the 2 meter rule in these times.

I therefore consider myself fortunate to get my regular legal exercise in pleasant surroundings, direct from my front door, without feeling the slightest bit guilty about it.

• Like 1

2017 BMW 520d GT. 2012 Pegasus Milan

O wad some power the giftie gie us, to see oursels as others see us

It wad frae monie a blunder free us, An' foolish notion.

Who and how are they going to monitor how much/far you go-be sensible isolate and carry on.  As a teacher I am still working so doing Joe Wickes daily PE lesson online every day. It is making me ache! Plus one walk with the dog and I reckon I am sorted but am doing the spin bike in the garage at weekends. Missing the swimming at the gym but am pretty happy generally! Mind I am definitely drinking more! 

21 hours ago, Jacko1 said:

Update,

A major hiccup occurred this morning for my vigorous exercise regime, the flipping kettle has broke.... Now having to use a saucepan which is a pain. OH couldn't resist a dig, 'if only you were quick enough to bring the caravan home before the storage shut down, we could have used the one in the van'. To be fair she had a point....

Thanks Amazon, looks like will be able to make up for lost time when new kettle arrives tomorrow..

2018 Volvo XC60  D4 AWD + Penshurst Premier Plus (AKA Elddis Affinity 550)

1 hour ago, Jacko1 said:

Now having to use a saucepan which is a pain.

Don't you mean a "pan" ? ;)

Let's hope the delivery service are not too overworked to deliver this vital piece of replacement kitchen equipment promptly. :)

Fourwinds Hurricane 31D Motorhome. Also MGTF135 1. 8i Roadster (fun) & Volvo V70 3.2Ltr LPG (everyday car)
Unless otherwise stated, my posts will be my personal thoughts and have the same standing as any other member of Caravan Talk.