My father and Grandfather fought in 2 world wars so we could be safe and free

2 generations on,we have ruined the planet and the future is bleak for the generations to come.

2013 Bailey Unicorn Cadiz  pulled by a Landrover Freelander 2 / VW Passat Estate 2.0 Blue Motion

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

This is never going to happen, as with this pandemic in this day and age of travel, by the time it is realised that something is amiss, or even before, it has been shared far and wide.   Eve

Cheese & prickles ? .😎

The world certainly IS going to be a somewhat different place after this crisis, and hopefully we we all be around to say “Do you remember what it was like before Covid 19?  Who would have thought tha

Posted Images

I hope the UK will value its public sector far more than it has done in the past few decades. There is no reason why the private and  public sectors can't  work in partnership.                                                             

Edited by paulthomas
1 hour ago, paulthomas said:

I hope the UK will value its public sector far more than it has done in the past few decades. There is no reason why the private and  public sectors can't  work in partnership.                                                             

Agreed, I think it’s been a mantra for those who are lacking a grasp of how society actually needs to work.

• I agree completely 1

Saw this on the BBC website today , think it needs picking up on by those in ‘ charge ‘ for when this epidemic is defeated .

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-52125309

• Like 1

Subaru Outback 2. 0 DSE 2015, Coachman Pastiche 460/2, Lunar Ultima Extra 540,

, Pwrtouch mover, Quest Rolli awning.

10 minutes ago, stevew1 said:

Saw this on the BBC website today , think it needs picking up on by those in ‘ charge ‘ for when this epidemic is defeated .

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-52125309

Dirty, filthy, inhumane, disease-spreading, cess-pits often referred to as markets.  I have never been to any part of Asia (and have no desire to) but the colleagues I know that have been are usually shocked at how some of these places operate.  Unfortunately with this "lifestyle" being so accepted as normal out there, getting it stopped is probably impossible, getting it controlled/regulated (cleaned up!) is also likely to be difficult.  But if something isn't done we will see a reoccurrence of COVID19 or worse.

2018 Volvo V90 and 2018 Swift Sprite Quattro EB

Never been to China , never wanted to go but I have met Telecoms contractors who have been & who have been appalled by the filthy lifestyles they encountered there . I once went to Chinatown in San Francisco in the late 90’s , the smell was awful , to say this was a major city in the supposed top country of the world the hygiene was non existent , there were cages of live animals stacked all along the pavements with terrified occupants screeching to the totally ambivalent locals . My overall impression was one of filth , smell & incredible bustle , the smell was one of animal faeces & acrid sweat from the locals , we left pretty quickly , ‘nothing for us here’ as they say .

Subaru Outback 2. 0 DSE 2015, Coachman Pastiche 460/2, Lunar Ultima Extra 540,

, Pwrtouch mover, Quest Rolli awning.

5 minutes ago, stevew1 said:

Never been to China , never wanted to go but I have met Telecoms contractors who have been & who have been appalled by the filthy lifestyles they encountered there . I once went to Chinatown in San Francisco in the late 90’s , the smell was awful , to say this was a major city in the supposed top country of the world the hygiene was non existent , there were cages of live animals stacked all along the pavements with terrified occupants screeching to the totally ambivalent locals . My overall impression was one of filth , smell & incredible bustle , the smell was one of animal faeces & acrid sweat from the locals , we left pretty quickly , ‘nothing for us here’ as they say .

Some colleagues were taken to a supposedly exclusive restaurant in China by representatives of China Light & Power.  The menu listed various supposed delicacies, these were housed (live) in cages and tanks in full view of the diners.  Once you chose what you wanted off the menu you then chose the particular victim from it's cage/tank and it was slaughtered and cooked in front of you.

If I ever have to go out there I will be vegetarian for the duration. 

2018 Volvo V90 and 2018 Swift Sprite Quattro EB

It's all a conspiracy ?

It all started with a group of alien 'Universe Health and Safety' officials,  led by an Alien called Greta Thunberg. 

They decided that their experiment 'man' was the virus that would destroy the world.  The meeting went something like this.

So what is the problem ? This 'MAN' experiment is way off track.

Greta "man!  There is just too many of them"

Ok so we wipe out a couple of billion. 

Greta "Yes but we need the Governments to remain or it will be chaos'"

So what are the problems for the Governments ? 

Greta "Too many people that goes without saying, an a result they generate pollution, The Governments are heading for a train wreck looking after the elderly, infirm and just plain lazy.  Also the disadvantaged are marching out of their countries to the wealthy ones."

And the knock on effect ? 

Greta "The elderly and infirm are draining the wealth of the rich countries ( poor don't matter they just die )  and they are causing a housing shortage for the young."

So in conclusion we need to wipe out say the over 70s and infirm, about 15 % of the population, freeing up wealth and housing and so on ? 

Greta "yes but we mustn't do it too quickly or their primative health services will never cope and some of the younger will have to go or they will smell a rat."

Ok.  Put an order in for Covid 19 we've used that successfully all over the Universe since before we started the 'Man' experiment.  It should put us back on track. 

Greta will the Governments, that know about us, go for it? 

Greta "Oh yes solves all their problems at a stroke."

I feel a book coming on.

Edited by Alan Stanley

Kia KX 3 auto / Bailey Alicanto Grande Estoril and Swift Challenger 570 (2010 model Not towed - used as a static)

I do feel sympathy for anyone and everyone who is or will be affected by the virus and the longer term implications....but

I left the Fleet Air Arm in 86 and joined the life and pensions industry and became a director very quickly. That position allowed me to become in charge of the technical and sales training throughout the company. 

If there is one thing that irks me (and there is more than one) it is the clients who have taken out huge mortgages and yet are only one payday away from default. Despite advisors clearly pointing out to clients the lack of state support and the implications of default CCJs etc they still come up with "my mate said" or my parents will help... Redundancy cover is peanuts, ditto Income protection  but now chickens have come home to roost. I can't afford it was another popular one despite obvious evidence that they could. So while i have sympathy for anyone who will find themselves in financial trouble I'm afraid that only extends so far. Ruthless I know.

3 hours ago, colin h said:

I do feel sympathy for anyone and everyone who is or will be affected by the virus and the longer term implications....but

I left the Fleet Air Arm in 86 and joined the life and pensions industry and became a director very quickly. That position allowed me to become in charge of the technical and sales training throughout the company. 

If there is one thing that irks me (and there is more than one) it is the clients who have taken out huge mortgages and yet are only one payday away from default. Despite advisors clearly pointing out to clients the lack of state support and the implications of default CCJs etc they still come up with "my mate said" or my parents will help... Redundancy cover is peanuts, ditto Income protection  but now chickens have come home to roost. I can't afford it was another popular one despite obvious evidence that they could. So while i have sympathy for anyone who will find themselves in financial trouble I'm afraid that only extends so far. Ruthless I know.

My children and now the grandchildren appear to have no concept of the 'Saving for a rainy day'  Or having a 'reserve' for emergencies.   Their idea of a reserve is to increase the credit card limit as far as I can see.  Did we try to install the concept.  Yes and yes again.  Did we succeed ? Well I have to say only for about 25 % of them.  

Now that the Bank of Dad is shut tight they are beginning to see the error of their ways.  Tough Love but that is the way it will be unless it is Life or Death.

• Like 1

Kia KX 3 auto / Bailey Alicanto Grande Estoril and Swift Challenger 570 (2010 model Not towed - used as a static)

28 minutes ago, Alan Stanley said:

Now that the Bank of Dad is shut tight they are beginning to see the error of their ways.  Tough Love but that is the way it will be unless it is Life or Death.

With both of my daughters I got them a debit card for a bank account when they reached reached 14. Money was paid in by standing order monthly and so it was up to them to budget for things like when they were off school and not away with us in particular. Seems to have worked

Alan

2005 Nissan X-trail 4WD diesel and Swift Charisma 540 2012 Lunar Clubman ES  2018 Lunar Clubman ES

4 minutes ago, Easy T said:

With both of my daughters I got them a debit card for a bank account when they reached reached 14. Money was paid in by standing order monthly and so it was up to them to budget for things like when they were off school and not away with us in particular. Seems to have worked

Did exactly the same with my two. They are now both very financially astute individuals. 

Andy

Experience is an awful teacher who ends up sending you simply horrifying bills

1 minute ago, Easy T said:

we did the same but both of mine are poor with money.  I’ve always been a saver, instilled in me by my dad so wanted my kids to be the same.   Society isn’t the same now and my experience is more like Alan’s 

43 minutes ago, Alan Stanley said:

My children and now the grandchildren appear to have no concept of the 'Saving for a rainy day'  Or having a 'reserve' for emergencies.   Their idea of a reserve is to increase the credit card limit as far as I can see.  Did we try to install the concept.  Yes and yes again.  Did we succeed ? Well I have to say only for about 25 % of them.  

We bailed our younger son out when he got in a mess (around £2k) which he paid back at regular monthly Interest free instalments under it was gone.   Despite being very low paid, he has learnt his lesson but can not afford to move out, nor save much of his wages, although he is trying.  

We have now bailed out the older son (married with a child) £3k to be paid back the same at set monthly sums.    Despite him being very well paid, he has no concept of saving, budgeting etc and I do fear that he will renege on the deal.    Always has excuses for why they’ve no money, and just keeps spending.   The wife won’t work as she doesn’t want to miss time with her daughter, and is also terrible with money, spending like water and buying branded goods , clothes etc.

I really worry about this generation.  

Janet and Jason xxx
Jeep Cherokee Limited 2. 0CRD (2015) towing a 2016 Swift Challenger 530 Alde

Consumer generation. Today’s younger folk generally drink less, eat well and are healthier people but spend more on goods, clothes, memberships, and many are leasing cars.

yes, there are exceptions.

My daughter is normally good at managing her money, but has been hit hard by this,  She has just left her job of 19 years, as cabin crew with Virgin,  she did this part time, in order to concentrate on her other career in hospitality.  Because she had left Virgin she can't get the 80% wage help  and because she has only worked part time in her new role over the last 3 years, as she was building up her business , her earnings are not enough for the self employed help.  She last worked at Cheltenham and lost all her work after that, she would have been at Ascot, Wimbledon, among other major events, as well as her regular work at Wembley , Watford and Twickenham.   She is not likely to work again for the rest of the year,  She is sensible and manages money well, but no one could cope with 8 months of no pay, even with the £94 a week from UC.  She has told me , she can manage for 3 to 4 months on savings, after that it will have to be the bank of mum and dad until she gets work of some type.   They have suspended mortgage payments for 3 months but the interest is still adding up, and there is no way she will be able to be earning money in 3 months, there are no jobs, and hospitality and large sporting events will be the last thing to leave lockdown.  It is not looking good.

1 hour ago, Cherokee2015 said:

we did the same but both of mine are poor with money.  I’ve always been a saver, instilled in me by my dad so wanted my kids to be the same.   Society isn’t the same now and my experience is more like Alan’s 

We bailed our younger son out when he got in a mess (around £2k) which he paid back at regular monthly Interest free instalments under it was gone.   Despite being very low paid, he has learnt his lesson but can not afford to move out, nor save much of his wages, although he is trying.  

We have now bailed out the older son (married with a child) £3k to be paid back the same at set monthly sums.    Despite him being very well paid, he has no concept of saving, budgeting etc and I do fear that he will renege on the deal.    Always has excuses for why they’ve no money, and just keeps spending.   The wife won’t work as she doesn’t want to miss time with her daughter, and is also terrible with money, spending like water and buying branded goods , clothes etc.

I really worry about this generation.  

Been there done that.  When discussing 'finance' some time ago I just threw the question out there.  "You all assume that we will bail you out.  Where do you think we got that money from.  And if it exists, it will be to allow us to live reasonably rather than on just the OAP pension, which is incidentally less than the Tax you both pay each month."  It went very quiet.

• Like 1
  • I do not understand 1

Posted (edited)
34 minutes ago, Alan Stanley said:

Been there done that.  When discussing 'finance' some time ago I just threw the question out there.  "You all assume that we will bail you out.  Where do you think we got that money from.  And if it exists, it will be to allow us to live reasonably rather than on just the OAP pension, which is incidentally less than the Tax you both pay each month."  It went very quiet.

Unfortunately it seems more common with Millennials but not all fortunately. 

One of my Nieces has her head screwed on and has her Career and financial planning all sorted.

A Nephew is purely tech and cars no matter how much he has to shell out.

I used nearly all my savings and redundancy from the industry I'd worked at for 25years to renovate a rundown detached Bungalow , nearly wiped me out for flexible income. Did I sell it or rent it for profit? No I moved my elderly parents into it rent free. My Dad has since passed but I'm happy that my Mother is safe and secure in a lovely property with no financial worries.

The rest of my family are very thankful.

My Nephew above thinks I'm mad and would probably have blown the money on a used supercar.

For me it's payback for all my parents have done for me. And it's future financial planning, I have a future retirement home and my property will be another pension top up.

Edited by logiclee
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Yeti 2.0TDi DSG 4X4 L&K, Octavia TSi Manual, Citigo ASG, Swift Challenger.

4 hours ago, Alan Stanley said:

Fortunately our son has learnt to be conservative on his spending although he constantly has to keep his wife in check financially.

I try to keep 3 months spending in an instant access account but for some families even that would soon run out

2015 VW Touareg 3. 0 V6 TDI + 2013 Lunar Clubman ES

We are pretty fortunate with our kids. The youngest daughter and her husband  haven't reached their 50's yet but have already paid off their mortgage and are presently pushing both their boys through university. The eldest of whom should graduate this year and is already sorted out with an excellent job (assuming that this problem doesn't chuck a spanner in the works).

My eldest daughter and her husband were much older before they settled down however they've both got good jobs, a mortgage and two young children so they'll be in their 60's before the kids are of university age and I guess they've got a fair time to go before they've paid off their mortgage but I'm pretty confident that they've got themselves sorted.

We had a few early glitches but managed to sort ourselves out, my wife did all sorts of rotten jobs, putting wheels on matchbox cars, rolling nickel cadmium batteries for Ever Ready, filling yoghurt pots and even working nights,weekends and holidays in a care home for the best part of three years. We are now are enjoying a fairly comfy retirement  but it did take a fair amount of hard graft and planning and most of it has rubbed off onto out kids.

• Thanks 1

2018 S-Max Titanium 2. 0 Tdci (177. 54bhp,180ps,132kw) Powershift + 2015 Unicorn III Cadz, Ventura Marlin porch awning