The "surgical" masks worn by many people are pretty useless. You need a respirator mask that conforms to one of the international standards FFP2/FFP3 in Europe and N95/N99 in USA.

You need to wash your hands thoroughly before putting the mask on, and before taking it off - otherwise the mask could get contaminated.

Also, you need to be clean shaven - facial hair will reduce the seal of the mask to the face.

Valved masks are more comfortable for the wearer because they don't get so hot, but the one way valve lets breath out so is OK for the wearer but not so safe for nearby individuals.

3M are recognised as an international manufacturer of quality masks.

Here's a couple of links that might be educational

Mask Comparison

How to fit a 3M Aura mask

Land Rover on SORN so not towing anything for a while

• Replies 284
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

For us, it just means my wife will wear a mask for the fortnightly shopping trip. Everything else we need will be bought online, much as we have dine for a while. Shopping is not my thing reall

People need to be prepared to be flexible instead of continually moaning about what the Govt has or has not done, and whether this has been done at the right time or not etc. etc. The Govt is now

It's quite evident from some comments on this thread that quite a lot of people just can't or don't want to understand - or are too thick headed.  Until attitudes change we'll continue to struggle to

Posted Images

These made me chuckle

image.png.a9f451aec4818f16934229903559ed16.png

image.png.905ef0375d514e713202b36a09be9334.png

image.png.10b1550ba5b161eab50eae7337348415.png

image.png.ef1eff66d467def2ca3d05bb206c3f33.png

• Haha 3

Bailey Orion News & Information - 

Yes.

Stay safe - Griff.  :ph34r:

Wheels at the front - Discovery 4. Wheels at the back - Bessacarr 845.

12 hours ago, onewheelonmywagon said:

The "surgical" masks worn by many people are pretty useless. You need a respirator mask that conforms to one of the international standards FFP2/FFP3 in Europe and N95/N99 in USA.

You need to wash your hands thoroughly before putting the mask on, and before taking it off - otherwise the mask could get contaminated.

Also, you need to be clean shaven - facial hair will reduce the seal of the mask to the face.

Valved masks are more comfortable for the wearer because they don't get so hot, but the one way valve lets breath out so is OK for the wearer but not so safe for nearby individuals.

3M are recognised as an international manufacturer of quality masks.

Here's a couple of links that might be educational

Mask Comparison

How to fit a 3M Aura mask

That's if you want to protect yourself. If you want to protect others, the surgical mask is perfectly sufficient.

15 hours ago, Lutz said:

No, the standard mask works perfectly in the opposite direction against larger particles such as dust or paint, but the material is too coarse to filter out the virus of nanometre size. It will stop the droplets that you cough or sneeze, though because they are so much larger, like the dust or paint.

From the lastest finding I read from research here they are finding the virus in the air in corridors in hospitals not near patients . Coughing and sneezing is not necessary needed to spread the virus .

IMO The problem with linen masks is they have air space round them as they are not full fitted and you need full  lab spec masks with filtration  canisters . 

Dave

Jeep Commander 3. 0 V6 CRD

Isuzu D- Max Utah Auto

Elddis Crusader Storm 2000 Kgs, Unipart Royal Atlas Mover .

Just dug one of my old 'outfits' out, off to Waitrose shortly.

20200401_091219.thumb.png.c246c0509b462f19b767a8c26a721f3e.png

• Haha 5

Stay safe - Griff.  :ph34r:

Wheels at the front - Discovery 4. Wheels at the back - Bessacarr 845.

18 hours ago, Will deBeast said:

..... I was glad I was wearing it when the bad language removed behind me in the queue to get into the supermarket suddenly coughed all over everyone without even attempting to cover his mouth. .....

Admin comment:

More bad language removed from this posting - please stop doing it. 

With regard to coughing and sneezing there is no doubt that some people's behaviour is simply disgusting, anti social and potentially dangerous. It's very frustrating, especially when you see all the advice out there. 

A lot depends on the conditions where the masks are made and whether the manufacturer takes hygiene into account.    Many Chinese made masks are being rejected as being unreliable.

The advice is masks are basically no use, so until advised to change by HMG, no.

• I agree completely 2

Larry from Essex

2019 Bailey Unicorn Cabrera 2017 Kuga 2. 0 TDCi 150

So you wear a facemask to attempt to not getting coronavirus.  So when its been used, what do you do with it?  Its full of germs, you don't know who's used it, and more than likely its been put in the bin for the poor binmen to accidentally touch it, or breath in the air around these masks?  Personally, I would rather not use one.  Hospitals are fine as they have furnaces onsite (notice the large chimneys?) to burn them.  When people had open fires, it was fine, then the masks could be put on the fire, but not today

• I disagree 1
18 hours ago, Wunny said:

These made me chuckle

image.png.a9f451aec4818f16934229903559ed16.png

image.png.905ef0375d514e713202b36a09be9334.png

image.png.10b1550ba5b161eab50eae7337348415.png

image.png.ef1eff66d467def2ca3d05bb206c3f33.png

As a biker I love the scooter riders pan scrub protection, she's obviously scared of catching the virus.

But no crash helmet nor any other protective gear, only good thing is that if she goes 'a over' , the medics will have instant access to scrubbing out gravel rash equipment. :o

Just off to Aldi for some milk, do you think they will object to me dragging round my compressor behind me for my air fed mask.

• Haha 2

Common sense isn't a gift, it's a punishment because you have to deal with everyone who doesn't have it.  :rolleyes:

19 hours ago, Babstreefern said:

So you wear a facemask to attempt to not getting coronavirus.  So when its been used, what do you do with it?  Its full of germs, you don't know who's used it, and more than likely its been put in the bin for the poor binmen to accidentally touch it, or breath in the air around these masks?  Personally, I would rather not use one.  Hospitals are fine as they have furnaces onsite (notice the large chimneys?) to burn them.  When people had open fires, it was fine, then the masks could be put on the fire, but not today

The N95 masks are generally washable and the filters are also washable.  It is the cheap ones where there is an issue.

• Like 1

My wife ( retired nurse) agrees that the paper type are pretty useless!

I gave my S10 respirator and NBC suit back when I left the RAF, spent far too much time in those things on exercises, horrible! Had to laugh at the picture of guy wearing one, probably kinky!

I wear a dust mask and eye protection for certain diy tasks, but those masks are no use against viruse!

Hyundai Santa Fe+Bailey Unicorn Cadiz

Mini Cooper convertible -fun Car!:)

This is quite apt ,

2B48D3B6-F6A4-4D55-BEFA-DD398460AB6D.jpeg

• Haha 2

Subaru Outback 2. 0 DSE 2015, Coachman Pastiche 460/2, Lunar Ultima Extra 540,

, Pwrtouch mover, Quest Rolli awning.

On 31/03/2020 at 17:03, Lutz said:

No, the standard mask works perfectly in the opposite direction against larger particles such as dust or paint, but the material is too coarse to filter out the virus of nanometre size. It will stop the droplets that you cough or sneeze, though because they are so much larger, like the dust or paint.

But isn't the virus carried by coughs and sneezes, if so it's wrapped up in the droplets which you say the standard mask protects you against. 

**********************************************

23 hours ago, Babstreefern said:

So you wear a facemask to attempt to not getting coronavirus

No, according to Lutz you wear a mask to stop you passing it on to others, it is apparently no use in trying to stop you catching it.

So when its been used, what do you do with it?  Its full of germs, you don't know who's used it, and more than likely its been put in the bin for the poor binmen to accidentally touch it, or breath in the air around these masks? 

- Binmen don't touch the contents of the bin, they take it with the lid closed and stick it on the lifting device on the lorry, that's why they won't take bins that are over full and the lid won't close.

Personally, I would rather not use one.  Hospitals are fine as they have furnaces onsite (notice the large chimneys?) to burn them.  When people had open fires, it was fine, then the masks could be put on the fire, but not today

-Nappy/Dog Poo bags make good receptacles to put them in if you want to be responsible when disposing of them.

Jaguar E-Pace 180D HSE R Dynamic - 2008 Swift Conqueror 540

"Unless otherwise stated, my posts will be my personal thoughts and have the same standing as any other member of Caravan Talk"

1 hour ago, stevew1 said:

This is quite apt ,

2B48D3B6-F6A4-4D55-BEFA-DD398460AB6D.jpeg

Think it was passed by Chris Grayling & Dominic Cummings as fit for purpose ..........

Subaru Outback 2. 0 DSE 2015, Coachman Pastiche 460/2, Lunar Ultima Extra 540,

, Pwrtouch mover, Quest Rolli awning.

• 3 months later...

So compulsory in shops from next week ( 24th July). Looks like many manufacturers are stepping up production, my weekend newspaper is full of adverts for disposable masks, I expect these and the disposable gloves will cause a major environmental issue in the near future.

I was bemused last week when I visited my local Tesco, the one way aisle system they had in place has now been abandoned, although the checkouts are still being controlled. Don't understand why they should do this, unless they've noticed the number of people who ignore it.

• I agree completely 1

I also noticed yesterday that our local ASDA has removed all signs of aisle one way system and now it's a free for all. I use Click & Go even for a couple of items in order to reduce my time inside. It is so much quicker and reduces being near others. 

• I agree completely 1

Graham

Unless otherwise stated all posts are my personal opinion 

51 minutes ago, Dave Capiro owner said:

So compulsory in shops from next week ( 24th July).

I have read news reports of masks being compulsory in shops from 24th July but await an official government announcement. From a personal point of view, I don't have any faith in a piece of paper or cloth over the face being an effective barrier to an airborne virus. I have only used one large food shop since March, and I feel safe there as the staff have policed access very professionally and controlled numbers and distancing however if masks are enforced, they will loose my custom until masks are no longer required.

In addition it really feels so unnatural to wear a mask in public so I will also continue to do the majority of my shopping online, and respect others by distancing when outside. I have been tested and pronounced clear of the virus but feel very uncomfortable at the thought of entering  a town on foot at present, and choose not to go into any enclosed space such as a pub, restaurant or café. Some would call it paranoia, I call it being sensible and respectful of others.

As indicated in a previous posting, I have lost my trust in other members of the general public to act responsibly, consequently avoidance is my way of dealing with that.

• I agree completely 2

Fourwinds Hurricane 31D Motorhome. Also MGTF135 1. 8i Roadster (fun) & Volvo V70 3.2Ltr LPG (everyday car)
Unless otherwise stated, my posts will be my personal thoughts and have the same standing as any other member of Caravan Talk.

The whole point, which so many seem to miss, is NOT to insulate yourself against the virus but to reduce the chance of YOU transmitting it, especially if asymptomatic. If we all take our responsibility seriously then maybe, just maybe, the population can dig itself out of this hole sooner rather than later. 

• I agree completely 3

Nissan X-Trail Tekna + Coachman Festival 450

Masks are for mutual protection; your mask protects me, my mask protects you.  They may not eliminate transmission but they do reduce it.  Masks will be compulsory in shops in England from 24th July.  Those who refuse to wear them will be turned away.

Sooner or later you will need to wear one, so keep a few in the car and a ziplock bag for soiled ones.

Edited by kelper
  • Like 1
  • I agree completely 3

Skoda Yeti 2.0 Outdoor DSG.  Freedom Jetstream Sports Twin Flare.  Reich mover.

5 minutes ago, MalH said:

The whole point, which so many seem to miss, is NOT to insulate yourself against the virus but to reduce the chance of YOU transmitting it, especially if asymptomatic. 

17 minutes ago, Gordon said:

From a personal point of view, I don't have any faith in a piece of paper or cloth over the face being an effective barrier to an airborne virus.

I have been tested and pronounced clear of the virus

I do not believe I have any infection to pass on, and by avoiding any close contact with others I have minimised the probability of catching any nasties from others. . . mask or no mask.

• I do not understand 1
  • Sad 1

Fourwinds Hurricane 31D Motorhome. Also MGTF135 1. 8i Roadster (fun) & Volvo V70 3.2Ltr LPG (everyday car)
Unless otherwise stated, my posts will be my personal thoughts and have the same standing as any other member of Caravan Talk.

I must admit I'm quite glad about this. I'd be interested to see if there are any required standards.

Does a pair of net stockings over your head count as a mask? Flippant, but you know what I mean.

I'll certainly be complying, and I'll probably feel safer in shops if others do the same.

Another lockdown would probably finish my business, so anything to possibly avoid that is a good thing. Even if wearing (and seeing others wearing) a mask reminds people that the virus is still around, it can't be a bad thing.

2016 Audi Q7 3. 0 - Towing a 2012 Sterling Elite Emerald

Persistent Love2Stay user