Many in Asia wear face masks, even before Covid 19. Would you be happy to wear a mask for protection, even after the crisis is over?

If it was compulsory. The protection would be for others, not me.

But my glasses would steam up, so I would certainly be breaking the distance limit when I start walking into people in my personal fog.

• Other than proper surgical masks they don't work anyway so I shouldn't bother! And they can't get enough for the NHS anyway.
  • I disagree 3
  • I agree completely 1

Posted (edited)

Has anyone else noticed the number of "professionals" on TV wearing masks inappropriately. I saw a policeman this morning with one on the back of his head! :rolleyes:

Edited by Flat_at
I can spell but my fingers can't

Retirement, the best job I've ever had. The only problem is, I don't get a day off.

You know you're an intellectual when you hear The William Tell Overture and you don't think of the Lone Ranger.

1 minute ago, Flat_at said:

Has anyone else noticed the number of "profesionals" on TV wearing masks inappropriately. I saw a policeman this morning with one on the back of his head! :rolleyes:

I have seen pictures of some wearing them over their mouth only, leaving nostrils free to inhale everything else.  I would wear one if it was proven to help or be necessary but working from my home office it isn't necessary for me currently, though I have no doubt there are some that would suggest a full-face mask might improve my appearance.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2
  • I agree completely 1

2018 Volvo V90 and 2018 Swift Sprite Quattro EB

3 minutes ago, Flat_at said:

Has anyone else noticed the number of "professionals" on TV wearing masks inappropriately. I saw a policeman this morning with one on the back of his head! :rolleyes:

Maybe he was covering a bald patch!

• Haha 2

Apparently the approved medical mask as to be of a N95 standard and they are impossible to get.

the most basic protection is to wash your hands and keep your hands away from your face, the reason being is that the virus can enter not only your mouth and nose but also your eyes. Therefore unless you had a visor or goggles as well as a mask, it is best to keep your distance. So the answer is no. 

Posted (edited)

I think we will see a change of life styles in the future and possibly until a vaccination available which is going to be over 12 months minimum more likely 18 months if we rush trials and we might see face masks more popular if we have to live along side this virus .

If your going to prefect against the virus by wearing a mask then you need protection to the eyes as it can enter the body that way .

Dave

Edited by CommanderDave

Jeep Commander 3. 0 V6 CRD

Isuzu D- Max Utah Auto

Elddis Crusader Storm 2000 Kgs, Unipart Royal Atlas Mover .

I am wearing a mask in supermarkets but primarily to stop myself from touching my face with my hands

Nissan X-Trail Tekna + Coachman Festival 450

I too wore a mask to the supermarket, and some disposable gloves.  We also wiped down all the packets before putting the groceries away.

We're caring for my 92-year old mother in law, who had a heart attack 2 weeks ago.  Her heart is significantly damaged, and it won't take much to push her over the edge.  She's fairly sanguine about things, but would rather like to live long enough to see her new great grandchildren (twins born a few days ago).

I realise that the mask I wore is not surgical standard.  But then, I'm not barrier nursing a C-19 positive patient where it's important to get close to 100% protection.  For my circumstances even 50% risk reduction is worth having.

I was glad I was wearing it when the bad language removed behind me in the queue to get into the supermarket suddenly coughed all over everyone without even attempting to cover his mouth. 

Admin comment:

More bad language removed from this posting - please stop doing it. 

• I agree completely 1

It wasn’t long ago that they was clamping down on people with hoods and obscuring their faces from cctv. How things change.

• Like 2
  • I agree completely 1

32 minutes ago, Durbanite said:

Apparently the approved medical mask as to be of a N95 standard and they are impossible to get.

They would become like bog rolls were a week or so a go - people would fight over them and be buying up all they could get if they became a recommendation.

Unfortunately people would start hoarding these as well and deprive those in the NHS who really need them a lot more than the average bloke in Tesco's.

• Like 1

2018 S-Max Titanium 2. 0 Tdci (177. 54bhp,180ps,132kw) Powershift + 2015 Unicorn III Cadz, Ventura Marlin porch awning

When my wife collapsed last week paramedic put a mask on her I've concluded it was to protect him from her.

So if that the case I do think wearing is to protect you from others as a basic.

Asians who regularly wear masks is for the air pollution their factors send out into the air, we export not only work but our pollution too to China etc.   My work went to China as the use of the chemicals was banned in the UK and EU and cost of safe working was out of the question.

Regards, David
Ford Kuga ST line 2ltr. Diesel 2017,  Bailey Pursuit 11 400/2 2018, Emove em303 motor mover, Hyundai 1000i Generator.

Posted (edited)

I’ve seen idiots wearing them here, driving about in the car, on their own!!! What’s all that about?

Apparently you have to wear them in the supermarket in Austria, I believe Bavaria may be following suit.

If someone gives me one to wear at the supermarket I’ll wear it but I’m not buying one, can’t get them anyway they’re like rocking horse poo 

Edited by Borussia 1900

2015 3. 2 Auto Mitsubishi Pajero tugging a 2016 Tabbert Pucinni 2. 5e

Remember being at a railway station in Tokyo a couple of years ago waiting for a bullet train watching your average Japanese wearing masks, then taking them off and going into the smoking hut, made me chuckle. 

Would I wear one, only if I had too.

2018 Volvo XC60  D4 AWD + Penshurst Premier Plus (AKA Elddis Affinity 550)

Back to the op, I would if it was mandatory, otherwise no.

It seems to be a moot point if they are to protect the wearer or to protect others.

I'm in circumstances like WilldeBeast, my OH is top of the high risk people.

I currently wear a mask and gloves whenever I go out.

At the supermarket they provide gloves for everyone, so I had to wear their gloves on top of mine!

I have read somewhere that do not wear masks as the wearer potentially be a higher risk of passing on the virus from their hands to their faces while putting them on, taking them off etc 

Personally I will not bother unless forced to by a medical professional. 

I have seen people driving on their own in a car wearing one, not sure what the point is for that. 

2013(13) Sorento KX2 2. 2 Diesel Manual, (With smelling clutch) Glittering Metal (Metallic Grey) dragging a 2020 Coachman VIP 520 with a Powrtouch Evolution Motor Mover (Towing @ 80. 0%) :)

1288275170_2019VIP.jpg.775f2d8ce7b26db242e04a2e77903cd0.jpg

1 hour ago, Durbanite said:

The object of wearing a mask in public is to protect others in case you have been knowingly or unknowingly infected, not to protect yourself, and for that purpose the standard mask is perfectly adequate.

1 hour ago, CommanderDave said:

If your going to prefect against the virus by wearing a mask then you need protection to the eyes as it can enter the body that way .

Dave

As I said above, for general use, i.e. not medical, the mask is not to protect yourself but others. As you don't blow water droplets through your eyes, there's no need to cover them up.

• I agree completely 2

1 minute ago, Lutz said:

The object of wearing a mask in public is to protect others in case you have been knowingly or unknowingly infected, not to protect yourself, and for that purpose the standard mask is perfectly adequate.

As I said above, for general use, i.e. not medical, the mask is not to protect yourself but others. As you don't blow water droplets through your eyes, there's no need to cover them up.

There must be a lot of people going round wearing a mask under a serious misconception if it only works one way!

Jaguar E-Pace 180D HSE R Dynamic - 2008 Swift Conqueror 540

"Unless otherwise stated, my posts will be my personal thoughts and have the same standing as any other member of Caravan Talk"

So if people sneeze and cough as suggested by the medical advisors, then no need to wear a mask.  

2013(13) Sorento KX2 2. 2 Diesel Manual, (With smelling clutch) Glittering Metal (Metallic Grey) dragging a 2020 Coachman VIP 520 with a Powrtouch Evolution Motor Mover (Towing @ 80. 0%) :)

1288275170_2019VIP.jpg.775f2d8ce7b26db242e04a2e77903cd0.jpg

Posted (edited)
19 minutes ago, Grandpa Steve said:

There must be a lot of people going round wearing a mask under a serious misconception if it only works one way!

The basic mask that you usually see the general public wearing only works effectively one way, yes, but if everybody wears one, it does provide good overall protection.

Edited by Lutz
  • I agree completely 3

5 minutes ago, Lutz said:

The basic mask only works effectively one way, yes, but if everybody wears one, it does provide good overall protection.

Ignoring unprotected eyes, the mask stops water vapour under high pressure (your cough or sneeze) going out, but can't prevent someone else's sneeze or cough that is under low pressure from entering the mask, seems to be working the wrong way round to me!

So the masks I wear whilst sanding, or spray painting my models are useless if they don't prevent entry of dust or paint!

Jaguar E-Pace 180D HSE R Dynamic - 2008 Swift Conqueror 540

"Unless otherwise stated, my posts will be my personal thoughts and have the same standing as any other member of Caravan Talk"

2 hours ago, Dave Capiro owner said:

Would you be happy to wear a mask for protection, even after the crisis is over?

I had to wear various PPE throughout my working life from a simple face mask, to full respirator kits and I cannot say I enjoyed any of it, not to mention being suited and booted to look like the Michelin  Man.

Unless the correctly specified mask is available and I am required to wear it, then the simple answer is, "No".

I have particulate masks and goggles here at home, for when creating dust in the atmosphere but those are completely useless in keeping me from breathing in a virus.

• I agree completely 1

Fourwinds Hurricane 31D Motorhome. Also MGTF135 1. 8i Roadster (fun) & Volvo V70 3.2Ltr LPG (everyday car)
Unless otherwise stated, my posts will be my personal thoughts and have the same standing as any other member of Caravan Talk.

Posted (edited)
32 minutes ago, Grandpa Steve said:

So the masks I wear whilst sanding, or spray painting my models are useless if they don't prevent entry of dust or paint!

No, the standard mask works perfectly in the opposite direction against larger particles such as dust or paint, but the material is too coarse to filter out the virus of nanometre size. It will stop the droplets that you cough or sneeze, though because they are so much larger, like the dust or paint.

Edited by Lutz
  • I agree completely 2