This is getting picked up by the UK papers and circulated as if it will apply to those of us who are simply being instructed to stay indoors for a bit

Yes, I know that is playing it down, and no, I do not mean to trivialise those who are actually dealing with the outbreak - who will be under tremendous stress. Or the position of those who have lost somebody in this horrible disease.

But seriously? The rest of us?

Fed up, anxious, bored, frustrated, annoyed, worried, angry, miserable - but surely not traumatised?

https://www.cnbc.com/2020/03/27/coronavirus-pandemic-could-inflict-long-lasting-emotional-trauma-ptsd.html

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/article-8074275/Forcing-suspected-coronavirus-patients-quarantine-causes-long-term-mental-health-problems.html

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

I am sure there will be some that will be genuinely affected by all this, but I also think many more will be more robust and will just "deal with it".

For some it's amazing what they can be afflicted with if someone offers them a series of symptoms and they can manage to associate themselves with some if not all of them. 

• Like 2

Jaguar E-Pace 180D HSE R Dynamic - 2008 Swift Conqueror 540

"Unless otherwise stated, my posts will be my personal thoughts and have the same standing as any other member of Caravan Talk"

The cynic in me see these  ' news' reports as being a nice key, trigger and excuse for some folk, note some, to enter the wonderful, to them, world of benefits.:rolleyes:

4 minutes ago, Grandpa Steve said:

I am sure there will be some that will be genuinely affected by all this, but I also think many more will be more robust and will just "deal with it".

For some it's amazing what they can be afflicted with if someone offers them a series of symptoms and they can manage to associate themselves with some if not all of them. 

True.

On an oblique note it's amazing that tens of thousands of ' afflicted ' folk who would have attend A&E with their afflictions, suddenly find there is a home cure............................. who would have believed it.

• Like 4
  • I agree completely 2

Common sense isn't a gift, it's a punishment because you have to deal with everyone who doesn't have it.  :rolleyes:

The suicide rate will increase!!! For people who struggle with depression etc it will be a hugely challenging time. As always there will be people 'taking advantage' of the situation but there will be a lot of people who need help, not just shopping, but help to stay mentally OK.

PS I didn't read the articles.

• I agree completely 1

Come to think of it, with the push to consider obesity as a disease (yes, I know in a FEW cases it is) and with so many of us indoors raiding the cake tin.......

In answer to Ched - The articles rather imply that simply being told not to go out and being worried about catching something is likely to cause trauma.

I daresay the articles they were lifted from were concerned with the genuine situation of those who may be pushed to utter despair by the loss of their business/job.

I had no intention of making light of their situation, or those who already suffer from any mental ailment, including depression, claustrophobia, OCD, or any form of dementia - or the people who care for them.

• Like 1

mental health is not fully understood yet so who can say what effect all this will have on people. We have never, ever come across this sort of situation before in our lives. 

• Like 1
  • I agree completely 2

Kindness and compassion goes a long way to help those who are finding themselves not coping very well.  A smile and a kind word ( from at least 2 mtrs.) can lift a person's heart, and that good feeling can last for hours. 

22 minutes ago, joanie said:

We have never, ever come across this sort of situation before in our lives. 

Some of the older members, (not me), may just remember the Second World War where people were facing rationing, not because of some stupid, selfish hoarders, but because the ships supplying Britain were being torpedoed. Their homes were  being bombed. Their children were sent to live in the countryside for their own safety. The young men, and the not so young, were away getting shot at. They were living in fear of being invaded. That went on for five years. Meanwhile, we are being asked, (told), to stay in and watch TV or to entertain ourselves. We are told that this could last for 12 WEEKS. Somehow I'm sure we'll survive. (I'm 70 years old so I'm at risk. I had a triple bypass last August so I'm doubly at risk. I also suffered with depression severe enough to trigger my early retirement 12 years ago.)

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

2014 SsangYong Rexton W towing a 2017 Sprite Major 4EB. (After June 9th).

during the first world war the rich were buying all the food , leaving the poor with nothing, which was the reason for rationing in the second world war. Sad to say but Britain was faced with war every 20 years or so, so the older generation had a bit of experience  to pass on. In this situation we have no past experience to help us and the enemy is unseen.  We have stupid people who can't do as they are told.  I know that being restricted to your own neighbourhood must be awful for some folk and  on lock down in your own home must be very difficult for others, but it is for our own good they keep telling us .

• Thanks 1

OH tells me that through her work (Child care, fostering etc), they have been warned they will see an increase in domestic violence, attempted suicides and other horrible physical and mental abuse in the coming weeks. If the whole Covid-19 was not bad enough for those poor souls suffering the ramifications and side effects could be equally distressing. In the normal world (You remember how it was 6 weeks ago?) the type of suffering one human being could inflict on another in their own homes was bad enough, now given our lockdown the whole thing is going to escalate which in turn will take up valuable Police and NHS time and resource. This is where some of the background work (Unsung heroes like OH) going on is going to present a different set of challenges.

Can not emphasis enough the value of families and communication during these times and trust me I know from our own situation last year that supporting those in crisis is vital to their survival and safety.

• Thanks 1

2018 Volvo XC60  D4 AWD + Penshurst Premier Plus (AKA Elddis Affinity 550)

5 hours ago, 2seaside said:

This is getting picked up by the UK papers and circulated as if it will apply to those of us who are simply being instructed to stay indoors . . . 

I believe that we also have to be mindful that not all reporting in the press is totally accurate. I am not questioning any particular reports but it is a fact that sensational stories generally attract readers more than 'softly softly, sugar and spice' reports.

Moderator comment:

Be aware that all links should be checked as far as possible for truthfulness before perpetuating them anywhere on a forum or other social media, as that is the way that rumours become established as accepted fact.  

We would also like to see as many positive and factual posts as possible about the current situation, so with that in mind we will try to dissuade argument and nit-picking over details, and encourage cooperative discussion.

• Like 1

Fourwinds Hurricane 31D Motorhome. Also MGTF135 1. 8i Roadster (fun) & Volvo V70 3.2Ltr LPG (everyday car)
Unless otherwise stated, my posts will be my personal thoughts and have the same standing as any other member of Caravan Talk.

6 hours ago, Ched said:

The suicide rate will increase!!!

PS I didn't read the articles.

Aye, and so may the birth rate too !!!!

• Haha 2