Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
SamD

Essential or not?

Recommended Posts

My van is in storage about 2 miles away and my 12v battery is about to run out.  Letting it run down completely will, of course, ruin it but more important, my alarm battery needs to be replaced (new one already bought) and the van will soon by 'alarmless'.  I don't need to meet or see anyone to get access to storage - chance it?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Your choice - not ours. Do you want our permission? 

  • Haha 2
  • I agree completely 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, SamD said:

My van is in storage about 2 miles away and my 12v battery is about to run out.  Letting it run down completely will, of course, ruin it but more important, my alarm battery needs to be replaced (new one already bought) and the van will soon by 'alarmless'.  I don't need to meet or see anyone to get access to storage - chance it?

 

Is it a condition of your insurance policy that the caravan must have an active alarm?  If we cannot get toilet rolls, we may just need to visit the caravan to collect several left in the caravan plus other bits and pieces that are presently unobtainable thanks to hoarders.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, WispMan said:

Your choice - not ours. Do you want our permission? 

 

Oh Dear!

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

There will inevitably be huge grey areas as to what is, or is not, "essential". We went up to our caravan last week to remove food that had been put in there for the planned Easter break, but would not be OK by the time this is all over. Was that journey "essential"?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

One man‘s essential is another man‘s unnecessary, so who do you ask?

  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • I agree completely 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Do what you think is right, avoid risk and have an excuse if asked.  If going alone, not contacting anyone else, washing hands etc, etc I personally would do it.  A lot of others would also do it, but there's a good percentage of those that would do it but deny doing it if asked!

  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • I agree completely 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Lutz said:

One man‘s essential is another man‘s unnecessary, so who do you ask?

 

As time passes, I suspect a number of us will have reason to explore\challenge 'essential'.  I know what I am going to do - just thought 'twud be of interest to hear others views.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I see that Police and Council officials are visiting corner shops and telling them to stop selling Easter Eggs as they class them as non-essential. The Association of Corner Shops has told the shopkeepers to ignore the warnings.

Given the aisles full in the supermarkets I doubt legally the Police of Council have a leg to stand upon!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If it is only 2 miles, treat it as your exercise walk??

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, staffordshirechina said:

If it is only 2 miles, treat it as your exercise walk??

 

Thar's a tad stronger int arm than me, mi old china!  80ah too heavy for me over 2 yards!;)

  • Like 3
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I need to do the same. Mine's about 6 miles away. Fob to raise the barrier with a security guard in a kiosk to operate. There isn't usually anyone else about in the storage area where my 'van is and no need to see or speak to anybody.

I will be sorting mine out this week.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, SamD said:

 

Thar's a tad stronger int arm than me, mi old china!  80ah too heavy for me over 2 yards!;)

 

Come on, where's your sense of creativity? :D

load.jpg

  • Like 1
  • Haha 6

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

This happened two weeks ago to me.  On Sunday 15th, I had a call from the tracker people. The alarm had been activated on our caravan. It's stored about 10 miles away. I checked on Swift Command and it wasn't moving, nor had it moved from its normal parking place, it showed it as "alarm active, triggered yes". I phoned the police on 101, the lady who answered didn't know whether it was ok for me to visit the caravan so checked with the police sergeant. He said that as an alarm had been activated, it was ok for me to visit. I phoned the site owner and he said that it was ok for me to visit. I rechecked the SC website which now showed the caravan as "alarm active" and triggered "no", (in other words, it had reset itself). I then visited the 'van and all was fine. I know your case is different, but if you need to, call the police on 101 and they will advise.

P.S. It has done this in the past. It seems that the signal from the mast drops in and out occasionally and triggers the alarm. The last time it did it I was in hospital just after my heart attack!! I thought this had been sorted when the dealer changed it under warranty. (The alarm NOT my heart!!)

Edited by Townie
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I would go. If you are practicing the safe distance and the storage site is able to allow you in then do it,  even better if you have a replacement battery to slip in. Essential if it is going to cost you a new battery. 😉

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

officially , no, it is not food shopping, pharmacy, work or care.   If everyone went out for whatever reason , what is the point of a lock down.  Most of us have our van's in storage and we're keeping our fingers crossed that all will be well.

Perhaps you could do the van at the same time as you go out to the shops

 

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I had a blocked soakaway I dug it out and cleared the  blockage. I found that the muppet who replaced the  downpipe had left it about  a foot short.  So I dropped the pipe and cemented it in. All good but the pipe  is now a foot short.  I know of a merchant which is open and has stock, but is the trip essential?  I thought not so I bodged it.

 

20200327_154408.jpg

  • Like 2
  • Haha 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
50 minutes ago, Townie said:

I phoned the police on 101, the lady who answered didn't know whether it was ok for me to visit the caravan so checked with the police sergeant. He said that as an alarm had been activated, it was ok for me to visit. I phoned the site owner and he said that it was ok for me to visit. I.... I know your case is different, but if you need to, call the police on 101 and they will advise.

 

I would describe making phone calls like this to 101 as wasting police time when they currently have more urgent things to do.  If you know you are going to be able to keep social distance, and on a job like this you can do so, why not just go? If you are stopped by the police on the way then you will get the "advice" anyway, like tell you to go home if the whim takes them.

Edited by Bolingbroke
Tpyo
  • Like 2
  • I disagree 1
  • I agree completely 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Woodentop said:

I see that Police and Council officials are visiting corner shops and telling them to stop selling Easter Eggs as they class them as non-essential. The Association of Corner Shops has told the shopkeepers to ignore the warnings.

Given the aisles full in the supermarkets I doubt legally the Police of Council have a leg to stand upon!

 

I thought this was a wind up at first, but seems this is actually happening. Incredible.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, SamD said:

My van is in storage about 2 miles away and my 12v battery is about to run out.  Letting it run down completely will, of course, ruin it but more important, my alarm battery needs to be replaced (new one already bought) and the van will soon by 'alarmless'.  I don't need to meet or see anyone to get access to storage - chance it?

Whether or not you go is up to you. I would though let the insurance company know the alarm is not working and have it removed from your policy, I did this and the premium did not change. Reason to do this is over the next 6 months or however long, the new alarm battery will still need to be charged up every month or so otherwise it will fail and you do not want to be having to visit the caravan unless absolutely essential. Better to remove its existing battery and its 12 volt fuse from the fuse box so the main battery is not trying to charge the alarm battery. Then when all this virus stuff is over put your new battery in and the main battery back.

 

If you do get stopped by the police, do not make up a story, tell them the truth and they are more than likely to let you go on your way, whether to storage or home but better than them thinking you are wasting their time.

Edited by Paul1957

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, SamD said:

My van is in storage about 2 miles away and my 12v battery is about to run out.  Letting it run down completely will, of course, ruin it but more important, my alarm battery needs to be replaced (new one already bought) and the van will soon by 'alarmless'.  I don't need to meet or see anyone to get access to storage - chance it?

You will get a variety of views and opinions but only your view is relevant.

Wash your hands before and after. Take hand sanitiser if you have some.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
28 minutes ago, Paul1957 said:

If you do get stopped by the police, do not make up a story, tell them the truth and they are more than likely to let you go on your way, whether to storage or home but better than them thinking you are wasting their time.

:goodpost:

Each individual must decide for themselves whether to leave the safety of home. We have advised our members what the government considers to be essential travel and that is really all we can to.

  • Like 1
  • I agree completely 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If it happened to us,we wouldn't have a choice as our storage site is on 'lock down'. Typical me was to to slow to go get it before and put it on the drive. Not sure what I am missing most, the caravan or the kids:D

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

These very short journeys will play havoc with getting a decent regeneration of our DPFs, with all the ramifications that follow.

Living in the sticks makes using the car essential, unless somebody else uses theirs for the medicines and vital food stuff.

 

So far, somebody has or I have cycled the 7 miles for the pills, but should they fall for this virus I can't see an option but use the car and as needed do a longer regeneration run.

I wonder how that will be received if stopped?   "Necessary" to have a car & "necessary" to keep it running.

  • I agree completely 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, JTQ said:

These very short journeys will play havoc with getting a decent regeneration of our DPFs, with all the ramifications that follow.

Living in the sticks makes using the car essential, unless somebody else uses theirs for the medicines and vital food stuff.

 

So far, somebody has or I have cycled the 7 miles for the pills, but should they fall for this virus I can't see an option but use the car and as needed do a longer regeneration run.

I wonder how that will be received if stopped?   "Necessary" to have a car & "necessary" to keep it running.

 

The total mileage covered during this crisis won't be huge so won't be a big issue - I, and some others, do low mileage every winter and despite several failed DPF regenerations during that time, the car recovers just fine as soon as longer runs start to be used.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

×
×
  • Create New...