Sign in to follow this  
DUNCAN123

Funniest thing you’ve seen

Hi guys, following on from my last question I thought I’d try and keep people talking with my next question.

Whats the funniest thing you’ve ever seen on site during your travels.

Duncan

image.png

Don't try this yourself !

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

During one of our holidays at Hillhead,Brixham last year,the chap opposite just arrived and proceeded to reverse his caravan up to a hedge(a 2 ft.drop behind hedge to next field).

I couldn't believe it,before I could get out of my caravan to warn him,he had reversed into the hedge and was about 5ft short of the wheels of the caravan going over the drop.

He pulled forward and luckily only sustained scratches to his van.

The best part was.......he said he was a class 1 lorry driver.:(

• Haha 3

Posted (edited)

well , we have seen some things over the years but the one that had me laughing, was when the husband was reversing the van and the wife was shouting the "instructions" to him but he had his window closed and was taking no notice.  She was shouting and swearing, and I was laughing   so much . It was years ago now at Hurn Lane.

Edited by joanie
  • Haha 1

9 minutes ago, Gordon said:

image.png

Don't try this yourself !

Watching the Tour de France?

• Haha 1

A van with awning on insode out!

• Haha 1

Watched a young couple of girls in a Corsa gently merge-into the side of a huge articulated lorry-he stopped for a word as it was clearly their fault but they just carried on regardless with nearside door dented and wing mirror flapping in the wind!Oblivious-drunk, drugged or uninsured may be?

• Haha 1

There was the time we were about to leave a site. The caravan was hitched up and I walked round the outfit to check everything before setting off. ASfter I got back to the car I managed to get in the back door by mistake. Quick as a flash a woman walking past said "Should have gone to Specsavers".

• Haha 2

On our first trip to Europe, visiting Holland, Germany and Belgium, we stopped of at a campsite at Rhudisiem in Germany, and had a lovely pitch overlooking the Rhine.  It was when we had a frame tent, and boy, the pegs were really hard to get in the ground, and I mean hard.  Anyway, we had to use the smallest tent pegs ever, large ones just weren't getting in there, you needed a jack-hammer.  Anyway, a few days later, a German couple arrived with their brand new large Mercedes and very long caravan, and pitched right in front of us, blocking our lovely view completely.  So we obviously switched our view to watching them.  They levelled their caravan, and got the very large full awning out, put it through the awning rail, and put the poles in; them came the pegging out.  He started hammering, to no avail.  He kept at it, looking around at all the other campers who had got their awnings/tents erected.  The wife came out and said something to him, to which he got up, shouted at her and through the hammer, thankfully not at her, but at his car, which hit it full in the side, and made a right dent:lol:.  Best bit of entertainment ever

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

This happened, I was there...…. We were on a North West Region Rally in the days when the Chemical toilet disposal was literally a hole in the ground. There being 500+ units on site it was a big hole, dug out with a JCB that's how big.

After entertainment had finished we ended up in some one's caravan and one of our friends used to brew on an industrial scale home brew beer, lager and wine. After the initial stock had been consumed he went away to get some more from his 'van only a couple hundred yards away. Eddie had been gone over 1/2hour when we decided to go and see if he was ok.

A tilley lamp could be seen at the side of the latty hole and faint cries of help could be heard, when he had gone back to his van he needed the toilet, which of course was full! So he went to empty it and yes Eddie had gone apex over elbow into the latty! Only his best friends offered to give him a hand out!

• Haha 1

We were at Auf Gengert in Luxembourg when a Belgian car and caravan pulled up opposite our pitch. When he disconnected the caravan , the hitch shot up until the back of the caravan hit the ground with a thump. The only way they could get the hitch down was her lying on the hitch and him winding the corner steadies down. You should have seen the stuff that came out of the back of the caravan.

• Haha 2

Funny (as in unusual) was a 'questionable' outfit match i saw on the M1 a couple of years ago.

3 door Golf towing a monster Hobby caravan

The car was so dwarfed by it, from behind it looked like the caravan wasn't being towed by anything.

On returning to Calais one summer, we came across a caravan with collapsed suspension. As it was the same brand as ours and we were on a makers club rally, a friend and I went to offer help. We found the old Sprite had the suspsion well and truly collapsed - on both sides! A peek inside showed the problem. He had covered the entire floor area with a double height layer of boxes of wine. Goodness knows what the weight would have been. We did offer to take a bit each from him but he wanted to sell it at a profit!

We where on a Cl when a brand new caravan pitched he came across to to ask if I had a spare mains cable, the next day the wife came across to tell me they had blue liquid everywhere I went across to look though the toilet window to see the pan full of the blue stuff then I asked if they had opened the shutter no was the answer how? Push the the lever to one side I said she then pulled the lever off! Saying this one.

A few weeks later on a another Cl another new caravan came on site, we had gone to bed about 11.00 bang bang went there door 15 minutes of that & a knock on our door the man told me someone had superglued his door. The next day I across he told me he had been up all night guarding his door so I looked to find his door locked open!

• Haha 2

1998 in Belgium. A steeply terraced site and on the level below us there were two dutch caravans. One morning raised voices were heard from one of the caravans, no idea what was said as my dutch isn't that good, but loud enough to draw attention. Next thing two women left the first caravan and wandered across to the other, one carrying a kettle, one with a carton of milk. Nothing necessarily odd, apart from the fact the total amount of clothing between them was a bikini top, and a very short T shirt - absolutely nothing else. A few minutes later the one with the kettle went back to the first 'van still in the same state of near total undress.

I did suggest to wifey about 'when in Rome' etc., but she wasn't to be persuaded. 

• Haha 1

in 2017, we were in a convoy of 5 tug+caravans travelling from Finke to Alice Springs(~220km's) in the NT, Australia. The road at that time was more corrugated than usual , as it was just after the  Finke-Alice Springs mads person race(can't remember proper name). On these trips there is a leader-for-the-day and a tec (tail end charlie). The tec calls out over the radio that he was pulling over for a bit, so, as is the norm in these trips, we all pull over and wait. We travel about 500metres to 1 k apart to keep out of the dust. After about 1/2 an hour, I call him up to see what's going on. His wife says we got a puncture. I decide to go back and see if he needs help. The 'punture' is in the pic below. Look carefully and you can see that half the rim is actually missing! His van is single axle, and, being tec, no one could tell him that he had a bit of a problem. He must have plowed a decent old furrow for quite  way. He obviously never checked his rear view mirror, as the van must have been at very crooked angle! The pic shows the wheel back in the spare wheel holder under the back of his van.

20170615_132536.jpg

• Sad 1

Last year on a CL we watched a couple turn up, spend ages deciding where to pitch, unhitch, legs down, awning up etc.

He then decided to connect his electric hook up.

We watched as he unreeled it and walked across to the hook up point.............only to find that he was about 2 feet short to make a connection.

My, how we larfed!

• Haha 2

Campsite in Corsica a couple of years ago. Brand new German reg camper van turns up on the opposite pitch to us. 

Stern looking chap gets out, goes to the rear and removes a couple of level up ramps and places them in front of the front wheels. He then spends probably 10 minutes going up and down the ramps (with much revving and clutch slipping) stopping after each “move” to get out and see if it’s level. Oh did’nt I mention he had opened the side door and placed a spirit level on the floor longitudinally? Sorry! 

After a while my Mrs says “Phoar, what’s that funny smell?”  Burning clutch lining says me! 

Anyways matey eventually decides its level. So he then sits in the side entrance (having now moved the spirit level) reaches inside and gets hold of a soft brush which he uses on the bottom of his feet! He then turns around and entered the van, returning with a bit of awning carpet and lays it on the ground. He then spends about 5 minutes moving it ever so slightly until he his satisfied it’s perfectly square to his camper. He then repeats the dusting of feet routine in order to retrieve some pegs to fix the awning carpet down. 

Then its clean the feet again so collect the awning winder handle from inside. As he inserts the handle into the awning he clearly spots something on the awning carpet, so it’s back inside (having brushed  his feet again of course) to collect a broom with which he assiduously sweeps the carpet first fire to aft, then side to side, re-brushes feet and returns broom to its home. 

Back outside he winds the awning out and puts the awning legs down. Now comes the funny bit.......

He returns inside (yes he does brush his feet again) and returns with???......

The spirit level, which he then uses on the front rail of the awning to ensure it’s absolutely level, this involves multiple adjustments of the legs.

Next step???

He uses the spirit level on the awning legs to ensure they are perfectly vertical in BOTH planes! 

By this time I have probably had 3 good G & T’s so the laughter is VERY close to escaping! Especially after watching a similarly amusing procedure with the table and chairs.

While all this was going on the passenger (gotta admire her patience) was sat in a camp chair in front of the camper reading a book bless her!

The next day he spent the best part of three hours with various bottles of liquids and numerous microfibre cloths cleaning the various different surfaces on the the outside of his camper. He then did the same inside! It was in the mid 30’s C, and it hadn’t rained for about a month so you can imagine just  how much dust was around, but that didn’t stop him sweeping his awning carpet every hour or so as well.

Talk about OCD 

He stayed just two nights.

Andy

• Haha 1

On the CMC site in Brecon a few years ago. A young couple arrived in a two year old car and an obviously new caravan. They took the space opposite us. He unhitched the caravan and went to site it using his motor mover. There was a load of 'conversation' between him and his wife as the motor mover wouldn't work. I wandered over and suggested that maybe it wasn't turned on using the isolator switch on the caravan. He checked, turned it on and everything worked fine. He went on the explain that it was their first outing in their first caravan. I offered to help if they needed it but he declined saying he was sure that they could manage. They went on to successfully site it, connect the mains and water, (serviced pitch) and turned the gas on. His wife checked everything inside and, after a while announced that the water was all working, the electrics were all working, the telly was working etc etc. Meanwhile, he pulled a brand new air awning out of the boot, threaded it through the awning chanel and began to inflate it. They then installed the groundsheet, set out their table and chairs and had a cup of tea and a pack of sandwiches. All done in around 2 hours. By now it was about 2 pm. They then deflated the awning and packed it away, along with the groundsheet, packed away the table and chairs, disconnected the gas, water and electric, drained everything down, closed the caravan up, rehitched it and got ready to set off home. He explained that they'd decided to see if they could set it up on their own and decided to book the pitch for one day just to try it out! When I asked why they weren't setting it up, staying overnight and then leaving the following day, he looked blank and said he didn't realise that the one day booking included the overnight stay!!

Still, lesson learned by them and they DID manage to set up and break down the caravan with very little help.

• Haha 4

At Fort William I watched a couple pitch their caravan. He reversing, she at the back directing,  no problem! This was before the days of motor movers. They communicated loudly with each other by phone! These phones were the old "Brick" type, the whole site could hear them shouting!

We where on a Cornwall site many years ago when the Kids where about 6 and 8 when a man on the tier below us got the BBQ out and started to light it, before the flames died down he piled enough sausages on it for a small army and sat on a stool next to the BBQ. After a few minutes he was surrounded by smoke as the flames burned the fat out of the sausages but still he sat in the smoke. Eventually he appeared out of the smoke with a plate full of black sausage and smoky face with eyes running like rivers. The sausage must have been like cinders and rock hard. His wife went off in the car and came back with fish and chips. We still laugh about the man who burnt his sausages  to this day and wonder if they ever tried eating them.

• Like 1

A couple of years ago we were on Norfolk coast one warm weekend when late on the Saturday evening a middle aged guy and a younger female rocked up in a really smart VW T5 Camper with a long aerial in the middle of the roof. They set up and we all settled for the night. I was eating breakfast early on the Sunday morning when something caught the corner of my eye out of the window - that aerial was swaying around frantically, on closer inspection the back of the camper was bobbing up and down furiously and after a few moments there were squeals of delight (pleasure?) from within!!!

It was a great start to the morning - for them anyway!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Happily drinking a cuppa in our caravan on a site in Interlaken when a young couple turned up to the pitch opposite and proceeded to set up their tent. He got on with erecting the fairly small 2-man 'ish' tent whilst she set about inflating a double sized mattress. They had completed their respective tasks just as the weather deteriorated and it started to rain and the wind began to blow. They then proceeded to try and get the inflated mattress into the tent through the tent door which patently wasn't big enough. As they became more and more frustrated and the weather got worse and worse we couldn't help but laugh and eventually laughed so much we were in tears. It was like something out of a slapstick silent movie. Eventually they gave up and deflated the mattress  just to get inside out of the weather.

5 minutes ago, KnausCol said:

Happily drinking a cuppa in our caravan on a site in Interlaken when a young couple turned up to the pitch opposite and proceeded to set up their tent. He got on with erecting the fairly small 2-man 'ish' tent whilst she set about inflating a double sized mattress. They had completed their respective tasks just as the weather deteriorated and it started to rain and the wind began to blow. They then proceeded to try and get the inflated mattress into the tent through the tent door which patently wasn't big enough. As they became more and more frustrated and the weather got worse and worse we couldn't help but laugh and eventually laughed so much we were in tears. It was like something out of a slapstick silent movie. Eventually they gave up and deflated the mattress  just to get inside out of the weather.

I remember the first ever time we went out with a caravan, it was to a cc rally.  It started raining when we were trying to sort out the awning and the people around us sat in their caravans, I guess having a good laugh at our attempts.  No one came out - we didn’t find it at all funny, never went on another cc rally, but vowed to always offer to help those around us who might need it. Wonder if the couple in the tent feel the same way? 

• I agree completely 1

9 minutes ago, ivan leslie said:

I remember the first ever time we went out with a caravan, it was to a cc rally.  It started raining when we were trying to sort out the awning and the people around us sat in their caravans, I guess having a good laugh at our attempts.  No one came out - we didn’t find it at all funny, never went on another cc rally, but vowed to always offer to help those around us who might need it. Wonder if the couple in the tent feel the same way? 

Hey, I have offered and received help on site on numerous occasions and will continue to do so when there is anything I can usefully do. On this occasion the comic sight (trying to get the mattress inside) only lasted a minute or two before they realised their error and came to the inevitable conclusion that they would have to inflate inside their tent. No harm done and one learns from ones mistakes.