Sign in to follow this  
rbbopa71

Gas problems

Hi hope somebody can help I have a tourer caravan and all of a sudden the gas is running out very quickly I have tried  the orange and the blue bottle but all the same, when I bought the caravan it had the regulator (showing) unattached in the front and I was informed I didnt matter what regulator you use? But was wondering  that these problems are happening  because they are not attached to this regulator in the picture. We noticed these things happening with the fridge stopped working. Hope you can help .Russ

15854755196966326113306102387397.jpg

Hi

It's impossible to diagnose your problem from the information that you have provided, however...........

YOU HAVE A POTENTIALLY DANGEROUS SITUATION, YOU SHOULD DISCONNECT ALL GAS BOTTLES FROM THE SYSTEM AND WAIT UNTIL YOU HAVE GOT SOMEONE WITH THE NECESSARY SKILLS TO LOOK AT YOUR SYSTEM.

The regulator shown should be connected between the gas bottle and the input to the caravan gass supply, it is very dangerous to connect any gas bottle without a regulator in circuit. The regulator should be fixed to the wall of the gas bottle compartment with the input inlet pointing up.  All the gas connections must be tested for leaks before the system is turned on.

• I agree completely 1

What are you attaching your cylinders to? Is there another regulator fitted to the cylinders? The yellow tap on the regulator in the picture is wide open and there doesn’t look to be anything preventing the gas escaping. There’s real danger of fire/explosion. More pictures would help. 

Posted (edited)

The pigtail shown will only fit a blue butane cylinder.  How have you got it to connect to a red propane?

Why is the regulator not attached to the gas locker bulkhead?  Why is the outlet side of the regulator not connected to the gas supply line into the caravan?  Is it because somebody had planned to replace it with a new regulator?

What changed immediately prior to ‘all of a sudden’?

Get somebody to look at, repair and/or replace parts of your gas supply system before you try and use it again is the best advice.

Edited by ReggiePerrin

Posted (edited)
14 minutes ago, Tuningdrew said:

What are you attaching your cylinders to? Is there another regulator fitted to the cylinders? The yellow tap on the regulator in the picture is wide open and there doesn’t look to be anything preventing the gas escaping. There’s real danger of fire/explosion. More pictures would help. 

There is no danger of gas escaping in regard to that picture as the regulator and pigtail are not attached to anything.

What is missing is a photo of what is in the gas locker right now.

It is possible that the previous owner has had regulator failure and has removed the one in the picture and fitted a cylinder mounted unit instead of the bulkhead mounted one, which as long as it is the correct one and fitted correctly is not a problem.

What is not known is whether the OP is trying to use the items shown in the picture.

Also, regarding the yellow tap, that is there for test purposes ONLY. It is NOT a main shut off tap and should never be used as one. The only person who should ever use it is a gas engineer when pressure testing the whole system.

My advice is to get a mobile engineer to sort out your gas system, it is NOT something you should attempt without knowing EXACTLY what you are doing.

Edited by Brecon
  • I agree completely 2

Is this an older model with no regulator attached to the caravan as I cannot see any reason to have two unless the previous owner was using the gas outside the caravan for a barbaque or similar as well.

Try putting the gas on and covering the joints either side of the regulator and the gas bottle attachment in suds and see if any air bubbles appear and if so that will show a leak.

If not I suspect a leak elsewhere, and I would get an engineer to look at it.

Send a couple of photos, 1) of how you connect the propane bottle and 2 ) of how you connect the butane bottle WITHOUT TURNING THE GAS CYLINDERS ON . 

This will give a better idea of the connections you are using.

You say "and all of a sudden the gas is running out very quickly " , what are you comparing it with  and how are you determining 'very quickly' , the length of time it takes to empty from full with your normal usage  I presume.

Is there any smell of gas in and around the caravan, do the bottles appear to empty when connected to the caravan but with  consumers being turned off at the isolator taps, how long have you owned the caravan.

Lots of questions but your answers will help to point you in the right direction, but initially turn the gas off at the bottle, don't attempt to use any consumers and get a gas system soundness test one as your first item to do.

Did you buy from a dealer?

In summer time a 6kg bottle can last months. In cold weather the same size bottle can be used within 48 hours. Are you sure your not simply using more

Posted (edited)

If your gas bottles are emptying quickly there are only two possibilities, either you are using a lot, or it is escaping!

If it is escaping there will be a smell. If you are using a lot there will be heat coming out.

Keeping a caravan nice and cosy in cold weather can easily use 7Kg in 48 hours.

If there is a spare regulator and pigtail in the locker it means nothing other than that someone has been doing something.

What you show in the photo is a universal regulator(which would normally be bulkhead mounted) with a butane pigtail.

Edited by Stevan
  • I agree completely 1

Posted (edited)

Profile says OP has an Ace Jubilee. They last posted in August 2016 with a battery problem in a 2004 Bailey Pageant and never came back after starting the topic. Hope they come back to clarify the points raised on this one.

Edited by Legal Eagle
  • I agree completely 1

Would bulkhead regulators been used back then?

We really need the OP to come back with some responses to the points already raised!

• I agree completely 1