Sign in to follow this  
Timanita

Twin axle jacking

Hi all, Must have done this one a thousand times ???  But time moves on as do ideas.......

what do people carry in their TA so that if the worst happens (puncture) you can quickly jack up and replace with spare.

Im toying with the idea of an Aluminium trolly Jack, as it’s a bit lighter than a normal one, you can pick them up for at bout £75 these days (they where very expensive a few years ago)

thoughts

cheers

Got E&P levelling now but used to drive the van up my blocks on the good wheel and that allowed the other one to be changed.

Ian

Don't carry a jack now as I have a Lock n Level, will just use that.

Probably just as heavy though along with the rubber sheet that goes under it and the pump.

Just take a levelling ramp with you, drive the good wheel up the ramp and change the punctured one. Dead easy, quick and much safer than any jack.

Just had the E&P levelling system fitted to my TA after using many different jack options.  I have to say that when I got the caravan home and raised it up to put the Alko locks on i couldnt believe how quick and easy it was. Love it already even if we aren't going away now for Easter :-( 

Posted (edited)
41 minutes ago, Maffffster said:

Just had the E&P levelling system fitted to my TA after using many different jack options.  I have to say that when I got the caravan home and raised it up to put the Alko locks on i couldnt believe how quick and easy it was. Love it already even if we aren't going away now for Easter :-( 

Just a slightly expensive option to change a tyre?? In all honesty I would have thought the levelling system was security enough and no need to fit the wheel locks? How would a thief get the jacks retracted?

Edited by Guest

I carry a bottle jack, but I searched for one as short as possible.

I had to use it a few months ago after clipping the kerb on an impossible corner.  No probs it fitted.

Thinking about it a few hours later, I though how daft I'd been not to just pull the caravan up onto my levelling planks - then I wouldn't have need the jack!

8 hours ago, bubble2015 said:

I carry a bottle jack, but I searched for one as short as possible.

I had to use it a few months ago after clipping the kerb on an impossible corner.  No probs it fitted.

Thinking about it a few hours later, I though how daft I'd been not to just pull the caravan up onto my levelling planks - then I wouldn't have need the jack!

Ive always used levelling ramps to change wheels, easy, quich and the safest way for sure.

14 hours ago, AJGalaxy2012 said:

Just a slightly expensive option to change a tyre?? In all honesty I would have thought the levelling system was security enough and no need to fit the wheel locks? How would a thief get the jacks retracted?

Although I use Lock 'n Level - and have used it successfully to change a wheel - I was thinking about getting the E&P system fitted. The problem I have is that because of the wheel design on our Knaus, the Alko lozenges are huge and a very tight fit so that when the wheels are returned to their 'settled' position, it means the threads on the bolts are under pressure and difficult to remove. I didn't have this problem with our previous Barcelona.

What has been putting me off the E&P - apart from the cost - is that with the control box being positioned just inside the door - surely it's possible for someone to break in and just press a button, thereby raising the rams?

Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, richardandros said:

Although I use Lock 'n Level - and have used it successfully to change a wheel - I was thinking about getting the E&P system fitted. The problem I have is that because of the wheel design on our Knaus, the Alko lozenges are huge and a very tight fit so that when the wheels are returned to their 'settled' position, it means the threads on the bolts are under pressure and difficult to remove. I didn't have this problem with our previous Barcelona.

What has been putting me off the E&P - apart from the cost - is that with the control box being positioned just inside the door - surely it's possible for someone to break in and just press a button, thereby raising the rams?

It wouldnt be too difficult to isolate the power to the control box to disable it completely?

Edited by Guest

Anyone really wanting it and turning up with an oxysaw would soon have the rams and legs off.

On 28/03/2020 at 07:14, Timanita said:

Hi all, Must have done this one a thousand times ???  But time moves on as do ideas.......

what do people carry in their TA so that if the worst happens (puncture) you can quickly jack up and replace with spare.

Im toying with the idea of an Aluminium trolly Jack, as it’s a bit lighter than a normal one, you can pick them up for at bout £75 these days (they where very expensive a few years ago)

thoughts

cheers

............ a trolley jack was designed as a workshop tool for use on hard smooth surfaces such as concrete.

The body of the jack must be able to move freely forwards and backwards whilst in use.

This is because the lifting point moves in an arc during the raising and lowering process.

If the body of the jack is prevented from moving on its wheels, such as when standing on a soft surface, then there is a danger of the lifting point shifting with a potential to topple and cause injury.

Trolley jacks have been miniaturised and are relatively cheap but should not be used in some of the situations they are likely to be needed to lift a caravan........ soft surfaces, gravel, grass etc.

On 28/03/2020 at 16:05, AJGalaxy2012 said:

In all honesty I would have thought the levelling system was security enough and no need to fit the wheel locks? How would a thief get the jacks retracted?

I don’t see how it can be secure?

Surely the door can be just prised open and then just press the button to raise the jacks?

1 hour ago, chris76 said:

I don’t see how it can be secure?

Surely the door can be just prised open and then just press the button to raise the jacks?

Hence why I said "It wouldnt be too difficult to isolate the power to the control box to disable it completely?"

Because I have the luxury of the huge space and weight advantage by towing with a pickup I carry a compact trolley jack. I have a piece of 1” blockboard  a little wider than the jack and half as long again as the jack  to use as a base. I’ve removed the pickup’s jack and wheel brace as it’s not now needed. 
Touch wood, in 18 years towing I’ve never had cause to use the jack but it gets exercised and lubricated a few times each year. 

15 minutes ago, Tuningdrew said:

Because I have the luxury of the huge space and weight advantage by towing with a pickup I carry a compact trolley jack. I have a piece of 1” blockboard  a little wider than the jack and half as long again as the jack  to use as a base. I’ve removed the pickup’s jack and wheel brace as it’s not now needed. 
Touch wood, in 18 years towing I’ve never had cause to use the jack but it gets exercised and lubricated a few times each year. 

Why go to all of that complication when a levelling ramp does it quicker and safer?

16 minutes ago, AJGalaxy2012 said:

Why go to all of that complication when a levelling ramp does it quicker and safer?

Don’t carry levelling ramps. I question quicker and safer too. 

I have a trolley jack which I can take with me, but I have it for many other uses to. I can't use a leveling ramp on my cars or other single axle trailer.

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, Tuningdrew said:

Don’t carry levelling ramps. I question quicker and safer too. 

Plastic levelling ramp placed in front or behind the good tyre. Drive forwards or backwards up the ramp, change the wheel.

Quicker - definitely, no need to look under the caravan positioning the jack etc.

Safer - Absolutely - Never seen a caravan fall off a levelling ramp, Ive never seen a levelling ramp collapse, Ive never seen a levelling ramp sink into tarmac / grass etc to any major degree. Ive never seen anyone injur themselves lifting a levelling ramp, I havent seen anyone trap fingers moving a levelling ramp around, I've never seen an issue lowering the caravan gently onto it's wheels with a levelling ramp instead or crashing down from a jack.

Quicker, safer absolutely.

Edited by Guest

16 hours ago, AJGalaxy2012 said:

Plastic levelling ramp placed in front or behind the good tyre. Drive forwards or backwards up the ramp, change the wheel.

Quicker - definitely, no need to look under the caravan positioning the jack etc.

Safer - Absolutely - Never seen a caravan fall off a levelling ramp, Ive never seen a levelling ramp collapse, Ive never seen a levelling ramp sink into tarmac / grass etc to any major degree. Ive never seen anyone injur themselves lifting a levelling ramp, I havent seen anyone trap fingers moving a levelling ramp around, I've never seen an issue lowering the caravan gently onto it's wheels with a levelling ramp instead or crashing down from a jack.

Quicker, safer absolutely.

Take your points but I can’t  for the life of me see how you get the punctured tyre high enough lifting the other axle to get it off and a good tyre on as the suspension will drop? 

It’s piqued my interest now so I’ll give it a try next time out. I’ve got a levelling ramp somewhere in the loft.......

1 hour ago, Tuningdrew said:

Take your points but I can’t  for the life of me see how you get the punctured tyre high enough lifting the other axle to get it off and a good tyre on as the suspension will drop? 

It’s piqued my interest now so I’ll give it a try next time out. I’ve got a levelling ramp somewhere in the loft.......

It really isnt an issue, I've done it a few times whilst learning about tyre age on my Swift Conqueror!

I had a pair of Fiamma ramps, just drove the good wheel up it and the rest was easy.

23 minutes ago, AJGalaxy2012 said:

It really isnt an issue, I've done it a few times whilst learning about tyre age on my Swift Conqueror!

I had a pair of Fiamma ramps, just drove the good wheel up it and the rest was easy.

Think you have said that 4/5 times now AJ - assume you are really sure of this 😀😀😀

• Haha 1

16 hours ago, ivan leslie said:

Think you have said that 4/5 times now AJ - assume you are really sure of this 😀😀😀

Aye, I suppose I should leave it now, it doesnt matter to me really. 

Now erased from my memory changing a wheel on a twin axle with a levelling ramp.

Stay safe

AJG

On 11/04/2020 at 15:37, AJGalaxy2012 said:

Hence why I said "It wouldnt be too difficult to isolate the power to the control box to disable it completely?"

On the E&P stand at the last show they now have a docking station fitted with a removable control pad.

No more remote control and no more inside door buttons. Can be fitted inside a locker or cupboard and not in sight.

On 28/03/2020 at 07:34, Griff said:

Don't carry a jack now as I have a Lock n Level, will just use that.

Probably just as heavy though along with the rubber sheet that goes under it and the pump.

Hi Griff, hope your keeping well...

think I’m going for a LNL, but are they ok for extended use..,? We often have the van on the drive for up to a month or so, and it has quite a dip on the near side, so would use the LNL to keep it level, would you foresee an issue with that...?

cheers

tim