Kepler

Production

When are Lunar going to start making production vans again? It's almost a year now since a van last rolled off the production lines be and although we hear lots of Talk we have yet to see anything other than a handful of prototypes. Do they even have the staff and expertise anymore to produce a decent product? They have been advertising "new" vans on their website but you still can't physically view or purchase one. 

I know they have moved factory etc but when are they actually going to commit to going into production?

Lunar Caravans are never going to make caravans again, the company has gone. Lunar Automotive have declared that they intend to start making caravans under the old Lunar branding. Quite when this will be is still a mystery and whether there will be any carryover of designs is, as yet, unknown outside the company itself.

From the list of dealers I received from them about two weeks ago they only have six dealerships confirmed, the rest for now have fallen by the wayside 

Is anybody actually producing caravans at the moment? 

33 minutes ago, Dobloseven said:

Is anybody actually producing caravans at the moment? 

How can they be under current restrictions ?   Bailey     Swift    Elddis

John

Elddis have shut down and I would doubt the others are producing very much, as there is very little demand from dealers who are not able to open. Presumably only caravans that have been ordered will now be built in the short term.

From the Lunar point of view I would think they will not restart until after the crisis is over, as they do not have the problem of lots of staff who need to be paid or laid off. That is assuming that the new owners will back them to restart which is not now a given. If they do they may in fact be in a better position financially than their competitors.

Since when has producing caravans been a key business that needs to stay open. Certainly not now. 

Posted (edited)

looking on the lunar automotive website, it doesn't look like anything is going on. Is there a reason for you asking or just a general question?  It looks like they're all shutting down for now anyway

bailey have stopped until 21st april and if your caravan or motor home needs a service you have another 4 months in which to do it, this is on their website under news

swift have shut until 4th may and again you have a 4 month extension on the warantee. look under swift group/ coronavirus.

Edited by joanie

Posted (edited)

The manufacturers have no option but to shut down.  Even if they could keep going the dealers are not open to receive the vans and the owners (pre ordered) would not be able to collect them.  Certainly there are not going to be any customers for new orders whilst we are on lock down.

I hope I'm wrong but what will happen when the shackles are taken off ?   First off ramping up production will not be as easy as we might think.  Just in time supply lines have a fault in that shortage of quite a simple component can halt the line.  The components of our vans come from all over the world and those components are manufactured from components from all over the world.  It will be a complex job to get going again.

One would hope that the big three have sufficient reserves to keep ticking over until their production and revenue streams are returned to something like normal.  But who knows, certainly those companies that have good reserves will be in place to make a killing on orders when things resume as a big wad of cash often turns a big problem into a small or non existent one.  That all depends of course on the money being available in the customers pockets.  Even those with the cash are probably going to be cautious with it.  Human nature will want to be certain that the virus is not going to flare up again putting us all back in the same state we are in a present.  That will take time.

Turbulent times ahead I think until we achieve 'herd immunity' or a vaccine is developed.

In the mean time I'm off to the 'Costa Del Driveway' to finish sorting out the New Estoril.  Probably one of the last delivered as it happens.

Edited by Alan Stanley

As the company have issued guidelines on delayed servicing due to coronavirus problems it would seem that they are still intending to continue production, as otherwise there would be no purpose to this.

Manufacturers of residential park homes have stopped production at the minute, so seems unlikely that any leisure manufacturers would still be working.

On 26/03/2020 at 18:00, Alan Stanley said:

The manufacturers have no option but to shut down.  Even if they could keep going the dealers are not open to receive the vans and the owners (pre ordered) would not be able to collect them.  Certainly there are not going to be any customers for new orders whilst we are on lock down.

I hope I'm wrong but what will happen when the shackles are taken off ?   First off ramping up production will not be as easy as we might think.  Just in time supply lines have a fault in that shortage of quite a simple component can halt the line.  The components of our vans come from all over the world and those components are manufactured from components from all over the world.  It will be a complex job to get going again.

One would hope that the big three have sufficient reserves to keep ticking over until their production and revenue streams are returned to something like normal.  But who knows, certainly those companies that have good reserves will be in place to make a killing on orders when things resume as a big wad of cash often turns a big problem into a small or non existent one.  That all depends of course on the money being available in the customers pockets.  Even those with the cash are probably going to be cautious with it.  Human nature will want to be certain that the virus is not going to flare up again putting us all back in the same state we are in a present.  That will take time.

Turbulent times ahead I think until we achieve 'herd immunity' or a vaccine is developed.

In the mean time I'm off to the 'Costa Del Driveway' to finish sorting out the New Estoril.  Probably one of the last delivered as it happens.

We were hoping to get our new Estoril sometime mid April and had a tour of Scotland planned for May. Obviously those timescales are out of the window but we will still take delivery when it becomes available and we'll probably camp out in it one the drive

I hope you are really chuffed with yours.

I think that by the time this season is over, the touring caravan industry will be re-thinking whether the investment in development and restarting is actually viable at all. Their individual viability must have been in decline recently even before the C19 issue. If one of the bigger companies scaling down and making campers only can return a better result then the touring caravan industry would only go one way. Caravan sites are changing already and not in favour of tourers. Sorry to be pesimistic but its possibly reality.

• I do not understand 1

I cannot see any of the big four stopping production once the current crisis is over and provided they survive. The development of new models is bound to be severely hit and possibly the cheapest option is just to continue the best sellers next year. Possibly the worst selling models will go as costs are cut.

Maybe, whist the “get the new model into production “ pressure is off, the “designers “ could try to design a van that cannot leak. 
 Was that a pig that just flew past

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Lost in the wilderness said:

Maybe, whist the “get the new model into production “ pressure is off, the “designers “ could try to design a van that cannot leak. 
 Was that a pig that just flew past

There is no problem designing leak free vans, it's the building that is the problem.

Posted (edited)

I really don't agree Ern; caravanning of the touring nature has really boomed under the Brexit doom and gloom as more people were cautious and took hols in the uk or closer to home; a couple of years ago caravan sales were at their peak and I am sure the current dip due to Brexit and this horrendous halt due to the terrible virus, will be temporary once restrictions are lifted. We have had  a great deal of difficutly getting sites in school holiday times over the last couple of years,(touring) and I think there may well be a boom once this horrid period is over. Unless of course we have drastic taxes to pay for all the support the government is giving us. 

Edited by Jezzerb

Leaks are caused by careless construction. The deigns would work far better if care was taken, but the basic idea is flawed.