Sign in to follow this  
PR1

Saving me some money.

Well this enforced break from our caravan travels is certainly saving me some money! We normally travel for about 280 nights a year, so I reckon I am saving about £125 a week!

Also fed up doing jobs around home! Patio cleaned, garden almost tidy! Green house opened up, first time in 8 years!

When it rains its interior painting!
The sooner we can get away in the caravan the better! 

• Like 4

Cancelling our Scottish tour booked for May and June will save us over £1,000 - which I've invested in Unit Trusts as prices are very low at the moment.

I too have saved some money by not going out anywhere.  My trips to Naples and Shrewsbury have been put on hold, and my dentist has also been put on hold.  I don't mind though.  The weather's lovely.  I've done all my washing, tidied up the back garden and now done some much needed work on the allotment.  And isn't it so peaceful as well.  I live on the flat path of Manchester Airport, and there are hardly any planes going in and out.  All I can hear are the birds singing and the bloody lawn mowers and strimmers buzzing about:D

• Like 1

Another saver here! No five week trip to Spain at the end of next month :(

Ferry crossing already “amended” until October at which point I will amend it again. 

We went out for a lovely long walk today in the sunshine, little traffic so we could hear the birdsong. 

From what we saw on our wanderings today there are going to be some VERY shiny cars and caravans, and some very neat gardens by the middle of next month! 

Got home and dug the electric bikes out. One of the batteries is totally flat! which means the charger doesn’t “see” it’s attached to anything to charge. Anyone know a work around? I have tried linking it (in parallel) to the other battery ( a bit like jump starting a car I thought) to try and fool the charger,  didn’t work! Looks like £170 worth of new battery required. Still that’s a lot cheaper than a whole new bike. Have you seen the prices of some of them??  I saw one today on the internet, over 4 grand  :o

You can buy a reasonable used car for that! 

Stay safe everyone. 

Andy

Posted (edited)

Yes, I appreciate the benefit of being a pensioner, but I do sympathise with those who are losing their job in this unprecedented time once this is over many will be sackled with huge debt.

Edited by Guest

Fed up of staying in so had a trip out for fresh air. Was lovely.

Got tidy sheds, garden, a clean house etc now fed up of it all.

Stay safe everyone.

• Thanks 1

I know what you mean about saving money and we too are using the savings for other things. A bit of a diet has already started to make me feel better than I did before.  

• Thanks 1

Thinking about it, we were planning to go away last weekend. Only about 25 miles away. By the time site fees, diesel, probably changing a gas bottle, meals out plus a bit of shopping, we'd have probably spent at least150 quid. We haven't got the money we saved because we don't live within our means anyway, but it makes one think. 

• Thanks 1

I had one of these until I had a total knee replacement 11 months ago.

It was just a basic model but certainly helped to build up some muscle and strengthen my knee before op. 

20180815_081126.jpg

• Thanks 1

17 hours ago, Mr Plodd said:

Got home and dug the electric bikes out. One of the batteries is totally flat! which means the charger doesn’t “see” it’s attached to anything to charge. Anyone know a workaround?

Andy

What type of battery?  Perhaps some useful info  HERE

17 hours ago, oldboy said:

Yes, I appreciate the benefit of being a pensioner, but I do sympathise with those who are losing their job in this unprecedented time once this is over many will be sackled with huge debt.

I do agree but some, as a result of Govt intervention, (?) are going to do OK-ish.  A nation-wide org is paying their staff to stay at home (no work) for 3 weeks at 80% salary, then 1 week at full pay then repeat.

Posted (edited)
22 minutes ago, SamD said:

I do agree but some, as a result of Govt intervention, (?) are going to do OK-ish.  A nation-wide org is paying their staff to stay at home (no work) for 3 weeks at 80% salary, then 1 week at full pay then repeat.

They may get help but it might not be enough to pay their debt as well, In the late 80s I experienced 2 recession in my working life, my wages was cut drastically  I survived  because I was very prudent with my finance on both occasion it took me a long time to recover to get stability in my finance. today's generation live with more debt than in my time.

Edited by Guest

18 hours ago, Mr Plodd said:

Got home and dug the electric bikes out. One of the batteries is totally flat! which means the charger doesn’t “see” it’s attached to anything to charge. Anyone know a work around? I have tried linking it (in parallel) to the other battery ( a bit like jump starting a car I thought) to try and fool the charger,  didn’t work! Looks like £170 worth of new battery required. Still that’s a lot cheaper than a whole new bike. Have you seen the prices of some of them??  I saw one today on the internet, over 4 grand  :o

Stay safe everyone. 

Andy

You might get it charged using a non smart charger that does not sense the battery voltage. I use an old charger to do this and then finish it off with a Lidl one. As an example https://www.machinemart.co.uk/p/clarke-la4-4a-battery-charger/ 

5 hours ago, beejay said:

What type of battery?  Perhaps some useful info  HERE

3 hours ago, Paul1957 said:

You might get it charged using a non smart charger that does not sense the battery voltage. I use an old charger to do this and then finish it off with a Lidl one. As an example https://www.machinemart.co.uk/p/clarke-la4-4a-battery-charger/ 

Having read the article that Beejay linked to it looks like by bike battery is toast. There are lots of warnings about Li Ion batteries bursting into flames if you try doing anything to wake them up. 

I am a tad confused as to how it went totally and utterly flat though. We have two bikes with the same batteries. Both were fully charged around October. One is totally flat and the other was just about fully charged !! And it’s the newer one that’s flat. 

I will I’ll see if I can find an electric bike shop with knowledge of resurrecting a dead battery. If not it’s dig deep time! 

Thanks to Beejay and Paul 1957 

Andy

On 25/03/2020 at 19:46, Mr Plodd said:

Another saver here! No five week trip to Spain at the end of next month :(

Ferry crossing already “amended” until October at which point I will amend it again. 

We went out for a lovely long walk today in the sunshine, little traffic so we could hear the birdsong. 

From what we saw on our wanderings today there are going to be some VERY shiny cars and caravans, and some very neat gardens by the middle of next month! 

Stay safe everyone. 

Andy

Hi Andy,

It's likely that the battery has some intelligence in there, electronics to keep all cells charged evenly.  The usual way to resurrect batteries in this state is to charge each cell individually (you need to take the battery apart to get to the connections) and then finally finishing off the charge under it's own steam as it were. It is also possible to rebuild them for relatively low cost.

J

Six weeks in France cancelled for May/June and it looks like our trip  seven week to Catalonia in Sept/Oct will also be cancelled 

On 25/03/2020 at 21:08, George&Ade said:

I had one of these until I had a total knee replacement 11 months ago.

It was just a basic model but certainly helped to build up some muscle and strengthen my knee before op. 

20180815_081126.jpg

What make is this please, and do you like it?

14 hours ago, Mr Plodd said:

Having read the article that Beejay linked to it looks like by bike battery is toast. There are lots of warnings about Li Ion batteries bursting into flames if you try doing anything to wake them up. 

I am a tad confused as to how it went totally and utterly flat though. We have two bikes with the same batteries. Both were fully charged around October. One is totally flat and the other was just about fully charged !! And it’s the newer one that’s flat. 

I will I’ll see if I can find an electric bike shop with knowledge of resurrecting a dead battery. If not it’s dig deep time! 

Thanks to Beejay and Paul 1957 

Andy

That is the problem with those batteries.  They need to be charged every week  even if you have not used the bike.  In my case it was the mobility scooter with replacement battery costing nearly £400!

19 minutes ago, Durbanite said:

That is the problem with those batteries.  They need to be charged every week  even if you have not used the bike.  In my case it was the mobility scooter with replacement battery costing nearly £400!

I thought I had it covered by charging both batteries when I put the bikes into storage over the winter, which is what I have done in previous years without problem. The older of the two maintained itself at almost fully charged, and the newer one went totally flat! Bizarre really.

Pretty  much resigned to having to buy a new battery at £170

At least then we we will both be able to get out and about for our permitted exercise as Weymouth has many miles of dedicated cycle paths. I can cycle from my home on the very northern edge of the town all the way to Portland (about 8 miles) without leaving a cycle path except to cross a couple of roads. A fair bit of the journey is along an old railway line that skirts Portland Harbour. 

Andy

Posted (edited)
16 minutes ago, Mr Plodd said:

I thought I had it covered by charging both batteries when I put the bikes into storage over the winter, which is what I have done in previous years without problem. The older of the two maintained itself at almost fully charged, and the newer one went totally flat! Bizarre really.

At least then we we will both be able to get out and about for our permitted exercise as Weymouth has many miles of dedicated cycle paths. I can cycle from my home on the very northern edge of the town all the way to Portland (about 8 miles) without leaving a cycle path except to cross a couple of roads. A fair bit of the journey is along an old railway line that skirts Portland Harbour. 

Andy

If you are looking to get a new battery, you want to consider getting the existing one recelled. This company has been helping out owners of FreeGo ebikes and they come highly recommended. https://ebikebatteries.co.uk/

It may, however, be worth speaking to a local bike shop, as there are fuses/controllers that can fail too - there’s a fuse in my battery, worth checking that first. Good Luck,

Edited by Glen and Les

There's quite often no obvious reason why a battery should fail, usually it's through old age because the battery has been well used or even abused but I've known batteries that have died within months or even weeks of being fitted - it only needs one duff cell to render a battery pack inoperable. Sometimes you can repair a battery pack by replacing the duff cell

I've had a lot of experience with Lead Acid and NicCad and NiMh batteries and cells but none with L-ion.

However I do know that Li-on cells are quite sensitive little creatures and need to be looked after by not letting them go flat and certainly by not overcharging (when they can explode or catch fire).

Most L-ion battery packs have inbuilt protection and cell balancing circuits which are there to ensure that the individual cells are operated within their parameters and not over charged or discharged below a certain point. They cant resurrect a duff cell or even bring one that has gone below it's critical threshold back to life. However I guess that if you can get a matching replacement cell you might be able to resurrect the pack. Be very careful some cells have inbuilt protection and others don't. i suspect that a proper battery pack will have external protection built onto a PCB within the pack.

An alternative is to see if you can get the pack rebuilt - there are companies who will rebuild or refurb battery packs which may be a way to save some money.

• I agree completely 1

22 minutes ago, Mr Plodd said:

Andy

Got me thinking, my wife has a fancy Giant full suspension eBike with a Bosch Powertube and wondered how much a replacement might be, only 2 years old at the present.......Hell! :o20200327_091929.thumb.png.b1240f8a0cfacd8f152f7be285c8f052.png

45 minutes ago, Glen and Les said:

If you are looking to get a new battery, you want to consider getting the existing one recelled. This company has been helping out owners of FreeGo ebikes and they come highly recommended. https://ebikebatteries.co.uk/

It may, however, be worth speaking to a local bike shop, as there are fuses/controllers that can fail too - there’s a fuse in my battery, worth checking that first. Good Luck,

Thanks for the link, I have just emailed them so fingers crossed. As for a fuse I can’t see that being the cause because it went away fully charged and has not been used since so nothing to blow the fuse. 

My internet research leads me to think it’s beyond salvation, but at least the battery is “only” £160 unlike Griff’s !!!!!!

Griff

Looking at my experience I would suggest you put a reminder in your phone or similar to connect your battery to its charger every month so you don’t find yourself in the position I am in. Have you looked on eBay for a battery? That’s where I found mine.

Andy

• Like 1

Lithium ion batteries lasts longer if they are not stored with full charge.

They have very low self discharge but remove them from the bike when storing to ensure there's nothing that will use electric during storage.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, AndersG said:

Lithium ion batteries lasts longer if they are not stored with full charge.

They have very low self discharge but remove them from the bike when storing to ensure there's nothing that will use electric during storage.

I think part of the problem is that many lithium batteries are made in China.  If used my mobility scooter for a short distance and then not again for 2 days the battery was too low to use the scooter.  Advice was not to leave the battery on charge 24/7.  Once the battery went flat, it would not recover. 

Strangely when I complained about it they sent out a technician who had to try 3 batteries all out of the box before he found one that was working.  I was lucky as noticed this all within 30 days of purchase and was able to return the scooter and get a refund.

I need a another compact mobility scooter that OH can lift into the vehicle but now I am very wary of those with the lithium battery.  In the meantime I got a ordinary mobility scooter with lead acid batteries but even broken down it is a bit heavy for OH to lift into the vehicle.