Ex-Gasman

Found the leak

When I did the damp check I found one reading which was a bit worrying.  Just under a front window I had 38% this was very localized, today I washed the caravan and I found the window seal at the bottom of the window gas risen up, I tried to push it down but it would not go fully  back  down. Will it be OK to leave it and when it has dried out seal it with silicone?

20200325_135248.jpg

Edited by Ex-Gasman
Adding a picture
  • Like 1

I would prefer to replace the seal.

1 hour ago, hp100425ev said:

I would prefer to replace the seal.

I've never done  one, and the seal looks good it's  just pushed up, I  think it may have had a leak for some time and I have not noticed,  it is only visible with the window fully open,  I  suspect the wood may have swelled with the damp

I'm  hoping  it dries out and gives me a chance to sort it. 

A PM to the forum  member  “Caravantech”  might enable you to get some expert advice. . 

Andy

• Like 1

They are not hard to replace, the hard part is refitting the vinyl cover strip inside, which usually requires a special tool. They are usually stapled in to position around the inside face, hence the cover strip, and the join is superglued together

You could remove the old one, clean off the adhesive and reseal using Soudall or Heinkel non setting sealant which should be available online. Or you could buy some new edging, which should come with adhesive pre formed on it.

There was another thread last year where someone did this but you will have to do a search.

• Like 1

Thanks everyone for the replies. 

• Thanks 1