telegan

Nissan X-Trail

looking at a 2012 x trail 170bhp version  as a tow car

anyone got any good or bad things to say about the car ?

are there any weak points to look for when buying ?

Buy the manual its rated to tow more and carry more noseweight.

There’s a few video reviews on YouTube including a couple of caravan ones.

Duncan

I've had a 2011 model from near-new (ex demo). Apart from servicing and MoTs, it's cost me a battery, four tyres, wiper blades and front brake disks and pads. In other words, solely consumables. Otherwise only a slight unprang from a self-inflicted argument with the garage door.

Our lad has a Nissan X Trail.  2011. Automatic.He loves it, a very roomy 4x4. Can fit s bus in it! Well nearly. :DHis Mrs has the new style X trail. Again automatic and  she loves it too. 

1 hour ago, Lady Bird said:

Our lad has a Nissan X Trail.  2011. Automatic

AFAIK the Auto version of the X-Trail of that year was limited to 150 bhp, hence limited for towing as compared to the 170 bhp manual version. I had a manual version which towed our Sterling Eccles flawlessly. It proved solidly reliable for our five years and approximately 86,000 miles of ownership. We only swapped it for the Navara (auto) because we wanted the extra payload of a pick-up and I wanted an auto with a higher towing limit. The Navara will pull a small village:lol: I love the Navara but I do still miss certain aspects of the X-Trail. The only "weak point" was the Sat-Nav: a system that was hopelessly out of date when the car was only 3 months old and would have cost £300 for new a new map update. (We spent that money on a Garmin Camper 760) Having said all that, if towing weight is not critical, I have found that an auto is a dream to tow with. To those who decry auto's in favour of a manual: do you really enjoy being in an up-hill, stop-start queue with the 'van on the back of a manual? I personally love the smell of burning clutch plates, don't you?;)

I had a 2009 manual for 4.5 years which was also 100% reliable, not sure if that now applies to the latest version going on the reliability charts.

Son relies on his phone sat nav.for getting about in unknown places. He drives his Nissan with one heavy foot and so far responds to him. Off road it responds really well. I love his car cos it's so roomy. When our faithful Vectra (158k) goes to the scrap heap in the sky, the X Trail will take over.

No towing duties though, as those of you who know me as Jbeans on T&T our caravan has not moved....no interest in vanning again. Wait for covid19 to pass and it will go. :D

Edited by Lady Bird
Add extra bits

Can't comment really. Very happy with our 2005 136bhp X-Trail

11 hours ago, Easy T said:

Me too, sadly just bought a Volvo XC60 2014. In 3 months I had more problems with the volvo than I had with my pre-registered  5/6 Xtrail. I wish I had been able to get onother new 136bhp Xtrail.

The only problem I had with the Xtrail was brake calipers. Very cheap to run.

My son now runs the 5/6 Xtrail and does a 40 mile round trip to work every day, no problems.

Just make sure you are within the towing weight limits and recommendations, enjoy.

Fortyfoot 

8 minutes ago, Fortyfoot said:

Just make sure you are within the towing weight limits and recommendations, enjoy.

Fortyfoot 

Yes the T30 and T31 auto models had a very low limit for the size and weight of the vehicle - around 1200kg I think. Much higher with the newer T32.

11 hours ago, Easy T said:

I had the 2004 xtrail 136ps (134bhp), it was easily the best xtrail of the two i owned.

And i was happy with both satnavs, with the T31 one being the better of the two...

Edited by xtrailman

Another advocate of an automatic for towing (and for driving solo) No way will I ever revert to a manual. 

Andy

I had a 2008  T31 XTrail, 170bhp, it was very reliable, practical and towed well for 10 years.  I only replaced it because I wanted newer car and with a torque converter auto and the XT's CVT it not particularly good for towing apparently.  I did find that the rear did dip somewhat with the van attached (1250kg, 90kg nose wt)) making the van ride front low and a bit vulnerable on Scottish ferries. 

As a comment, the Outlander is a bit more stable at towing at speed and the Auto is fantastic and the rear does not dip.  Not as practical as the XT though.