Sign in to follow this  
DottieD

Powrtouch Problem

I've got an original Powrtouch motor mover on my 2008 Eccles Topaz.

It did not work or have a handset controller when I bought the van.

I had an engineer test the system and it turned out that the main control box wasn't working.

I've fitted a refurbished control box which came with a hand controller.

The system all operates correctly now, apart from one of the actual drive motors which works fine when disengaged, but stalls when engaged.

The other motor works fine.

I'm thinking it's possibly brushes in the motor?

Anyone else had a similar problem?

Posted (edited)

I would tend to agree with your diagnosis, I don’t think the brushes are very expensive.

Might be worth checking all the connections in case one isn’t as good as it should be. 

Andy 

Edited by Mr Plodd

The wear on the brushes should be pretty even on both motors so it seems odd that one motor would need them and not the other.

I think the wires are attached to the brushes using push fit spade connectors which can work loose, a poor connection will also cause the motor to stall.

if the drive motors work fine when off the wheel , have you checked the gap is correct and also the tyres are pumped up correctly

14 minutes ago, joanie said:

if the drive motors work fine when off the wheel , have you checked the gap is correct and also the tyres are pumped up correctly

Did you miss the below in the original post??

apart from one of the actual drive motors which works fine when disengaged, but stalls when engaged.

Andy

25 minutes ago, Mr Plodd said:

Did you miss the below in the original post??

apart from one of the actual drive motors which works fine when disengaged, but stalls when engaged.

Andy

Actually Joanie makes a valid point, if the gap is too small between the tyre and the motor when it is engaged the motor could press too hard on the tyre and cause it to stall, so no I don't think she missed that at all!

• Thanks 1

I agree with Andy and Steve. If you examine the terminal connectors on the motor you may find a very bad connection  (dirty/corroded/loose, then carefully slide out the bushes dont loose the loose retainer plate. You can easily see whether the bushes are worn out. Powertouch sell replacements. They also sell the rubber covers for the motor which tend to rot away in the elements. When re-assembling the rubber covers, a cable tie will ensure that no water and dirt can enter in the future. The other possibility of the failure is poor connections at the controller end of the same cable. These motors need alll the voltage from a good 12v battery or they will not perform well.

Can we assume the caravan wheels are free to rotate on both sides and there is no binding brake or other issue that causes the stall?  My old PowrTouch model 1 would cut-out/stall at the drop of a 1 inch kerb sometimes ;) 

Get a reel of self-amalgamating tape rather than the PowrTouch boots to wrap around the motor and spade terminal connections.  It will be cheaper, and more effective in my opinion.

PowrTouch have the instructions on how to and it would be worth removing the brushes to check them on both sides for comparison purposes or in case both motor sides could be better  replaced. https://www.powrtouch.com/powrwheel-support-hub-html/previous-generation-mover-support/powrtouch-model-1-support.html 

Thanks for all of your replies.

The wheels on the van turn freely, I've already checked the roller gap and its got brand new tyres which are correctly inflated.

I'll check the connectors and brushes next time we are allowed out. :(

Posted (edited)

Swap over the connections at the control box between left and right, try it again, if the fault stays on the same side it's the motor or the wiring, if the fault moves it's the control box. I would seriously doubt brushes, movers get so little use but pretty much equal between left and right, brushes would also tend to give intermittent operation rather than lack of power. 

Edited by Guest

I replaced the brushes on my mover. The brushes didn't look too worn but the springs had lost a fair bit of their spring if you get my meaning. I did this because drive on one motor was sometimes intermittent. All sorted now.

Roller bearing  worn, partially seized ?

2016 auto engage powrtouch on s/a van.

Whilst on subject, aside, can anyone advise .....

All operating fine but when my units are in the parked / de-powered / dormant position the roller units can be rattled around by hand and cause a metal to metal knocking noise - normal ? 

Thanks

37 minutes ago, montesa said:

2016 auto engage powrtouch on s/a van.

Whilst on subject, aside, can anyone advise .....

All operating fine but when my units are in the parked / de-powered / dormant position the roller units can be rattled around by hand and cause a metal to metal knocking noise - normal ? 

Thanks

Yes on my 4wd system.

Ian

A friend has a similar problem it turn out to be the battery? Try and borrow a good battery or as we did if you can get your car close we ran jump leads from the car to the caravan battery. We tried this mostly as it was suggested by the guy at power touch.

15 minutes ago, PaulR said:

A friend has a similar problem it turn out to be the battery? Try and borrow a good battery or as we did if you can get your car close we ran jump leads from the car to the caravan battery. We tried this mostly as it was suggested by the guy at power touch.

Its a brand new,  fully charged 110 aH battery which is trickle charged by a small solar panel when in storage.

Battery voltage was 12.78v last time I checked it.

Fingers crossed you get to the bottom of it. I'll be interested to the answers.

why don't you get back in touch with the engineer and  ask him ?

2 hours ago, IanV8 said:

Yes on my 4wd system.

Ian

Normal situation or the same problem ?

21 hours ago, montesa said:

Normal situation or the same problem ?

It’s normal they are slack so they can move, if they tightened the tolerances they would jam up with road muck or rust.

Ian

On 30/03/2020 at 09:30, joanie said:

why don't you get back in touch with the engineer and  ask him ?

Because I'm quite capable of sorting out stuff like this myself. 

The only reason the caravan engineer looked at it was because I didnt have the hand controller for the motor mover system at the time, and was unable to do a diagnosis to see whether it was the control box that was faulty or not.

I've sorted the control unit and handset now.

There's an awful lot of knowledge on the internet that's free to access.

Besides which he did a botched repair on the fridge, which I've since rectified, so I don't really have that much faith in him.

On 31/03/2020 at 09:37, IanV8 said:

It’s normal they are slack so they can move, if they tightened the tolerances they would jam up with road muck or rust.

Ian

Thanks

Sign in to follow this