Not strictly caravan related but our friend (serious kidney problems) received a letter today (along with 1,499,999 others) telling him what to do during the present situation. Confidence in the system withers a bit with the knowledge that he died 10 years ago.

How many of the stretched facilities are being wasted this way?

• Sad 1
  • I agree completely 1
9 minutes ago, Orange said:

Not strictly caravan related but our friend (serious kidney problems) received a letter today (along with 1,499,999 others) telling him what to do during the present situation. Confidence in the system withers a bit with the knowledge that he died 10 years ago.

Modern technology, if the computer has not been told by human he died 10 years ago. the computer will not discard his data.

I occasionally get letters/mail shots for my wife who passed away over 20 years ago.

2019 Bailey Platinum (640) Phoenix from Chipping Sodbury caravans, towed by our  2017 my Discovery Sport!

39 minutes ago, Orange said:

I think it would need way more resources to keep things up to date better, especially at the moment. 

It's probably best to err on the side of caution and send more letters than maybe necessary.

Hopefully more people will stay at home but if the traffic outside my house is anything to go by there are still a lot of 'necessary travel'!!

We went out this morning for our “exercise” and walked to our local (small) shopping centre about half a mile distant. Two things were very apparent.

1. The almost total lack of traffic on the A road we walk along, we could even hear the birds singing.

2. The very few people that were at the shopping centre. There is a Home Bargains store and that is normally heaving all day. This morning it was virtually empty at 11am. They even had milk,  read AND eggs left.

Local garden centre shut which is a bind because father in law visited us Sunday and saw the small tray of 10 runner beans I had bought the day before. That’s OK says me, take them on, I can always get some more on Tuesday, wrong!! Boris put the mockers on THAT plan last night.

Everywhere now shut so cannot even get any seeds. Anyone able to spare me half a dozen runner bean seeds?? (I only have a small garden so have to grow them in pots)

Andy

Edited by Mr Plodd

Experience is an awful teacher who ends up sending you simply horrifying bills

4 minutes ago, Mr Plodd said:

We went out this morning for our “exercise” and walked to our local (small) shopping centre about half a mile distant. Two things were very apparent.

1. The almost total lack of traffic on the A road we walk along, we could even hear the birds singing.

2. The very few people that were at the shopping centre. There is a Home Bargains store and that is normally heaving all day. This morning it was virtually empty at 11am. They even had milk,  read AND eggs left.

Local garden centre shut which is a bind because father in law visited us Sunday and saw the small tray of 10 runner beans I had bought the day before. That’s OK says me, take them on, I can always get some more on Tuesday, wrong!! Boris put the mockers on THAT plan last night.

Everywhere now shut so cannot even get any seeds. Anyone able to spare me half a dozen runner bean seeds?? (I only have a small garden so have to grow them in pots)

Andy

Home and Bargain usually have them

1 minute ago, oldboy said:

Home and Bargain usually have them

I did look, nada!

Hence my plea for any “spares” someone might have

Andy

44 minutes ago, Ched said:

I think it would need way more resources to keep things up to date better, especially at the moment. 

It's probably best to err on the side of caution and send more letters than maybe necessary.

Hopefully more people will stay at home but if the traffic outside my house is anything to go by there are still a lot of 'necessary travel'!!

Quite ironic that in other thread on this august place, people don't want their personal data being available and now complain that data isn't being kept up to date.   Wouldn't it be great if you were recorded as deceased on the hatches, matches and dispatches that information also flagged  your records elsewhere... Much easier than doing manual data cleaning.

• Like 1

Larry from Essex

2019 Bailey Unicorn Cabrera 2017 Kuga 2. 0 TDCi 150

My wife worked as a Health Visitor and had deceased people reappear on her caseload list after being taken off.

The IT whizzkid did not believe her until she proved it!

Hyundai Santa Fe+Bailey Unicorn Cadiz

Mini Cooper convertible -fun Car!:)

8 hours ago, Orange said:

8 hours ago, PR1 said:

I occasionally get letters/mail shots for my wife who passed away over 20 years ago.

Both disgraceful and insensitive regardless of the reason.

Fourwinds Hurricane 31D Motorhome. Also MGTF135 1. 8i Roadster (fun) & Volvo V70 3.2Ltr LPG (everyday car)
Unless otherwise stated, my posts will be my personal thoughts and have the same standing as any other member of Caravan Talk.

7 hours ago, Mr Plodd said:

I did look, nada!

Andy

Online shopping and delivery is still permitted so might be lucky that way.

7 hours ago, Mr Plodd said:

I did look, nada!

Andy

I've ordered some from Suttons Seeds Andy - should be here within a week. I'll pm you when they arrive to see if you still need some :)

• Thanks 1

Land Rover on SORN so not towing anything for a while

Kings also are delivering I think. Sometimes cheapest among the seed companies.

If you have a poundstretcher nearby and is still open, they have seeds in. 

Would that be an “essential journey”? I live 4 miles out of the town centre, and don’t fancy getting the bus in. Do I drive in ? Either way it does increase the risk somewhat to everyone, me, the shop assistant, anyone I pass and vice-versa of course. 

I will probably wait and see if things “ease” a bit after three weeks, but won’t be holding my breath! .

We have enough food in  and have a “click and collect” slot for groceries a week tomorrow so, in the meantime, I am trying to stay as isolated as possible for everyone’s sake. So far we appear fit and well with no symptoms, and intend that to remain the case.

A few bean seeds are not that critical to my existence and certainly not worth risking my, or anyone else’s, health over.

Might just try Sutton’s though! 

Andy

• I agree completely 1

My Sister in Law's  next door neighbour was stopped twice on a six mile journey to his local Asda yesterday, so the Police are doing their job 

Les

5 minutes ago, Les Medes said:

My Sister in Law's  next door neighbour was stopped twice on a six mile journey to his local Asda yesterday, so the Police are doing their job 

If there are stopping one person, they are not doing the job properly, they are overstepping their power

35 minutes ago, oldboy said:

If there are stopping one person, they are not doing the job properly, they are overstepping their power

How different we are to Italy and Spain to do what you want UK.

• Like 1
  • I agree completely 1

Regards, David
Ford Kuga ST line 2ltr. Diesel 2017,  Bailey Pursuit 11 400/2 2018, Emove em303 motor mover, Hyundai 1000i Generator.

37 minutes ago, oldboy said:

Why, please explain?

• I agree completely 1

Jaguar E-Pace 180D HSE R Dynamic - 2008 Swift Conqueror 540

"Unless otherwise stated, my posts will be my personal thoughts and have the same standing as any other member of Caravan Talk"

We live around four miles from the nearest shop (the Co-op) and our neighbour got a couple of items for us yesterday. We actually did an inventory of stuff in the cupboards and freezer and are OK for a couple of weeks (even got some milk in the freezer) so we'll stay as low as we can.

Apparently the co-op has set out 15 baskets and will only allow 15 people into the store at a time. No one else can come in until someone leaves and puts their empty basket down for the next person to use. According to the neighbour there was plenty of most things except eggs and milk together with about a million Easter Eggs.

Edited by matelodave

2018 S-Max Titanium 2. 0 Tdci (177. 54bhp,180ps,132kw) Powershift + 2015 Unicorn III Cadz, Ventura Marlin porch awning

2 minutes ago, David 38 said:

Absolutely, we have raised a generation or two of "entitled people", the ones that scream "it is my right, I can say and do what I want"

• Like 2
  • I agree completely 1

Jaguar E-Pace 180D HSE R Dynamic - 2008 Swift Conqueror 540

"Unless otherwise stated, my posts will be my personal thoughts and have the same standing as any other member of Caravan Talk"

14 minutes ago, Grandpa Steve said:

Absolutely, we have raised a generation or two of "entitled people", the ones that scream "it is my right, I can say and do what I want"

Yep, when will they realise along with rights come responsibilities... A generation seems to emphasise the rights bit...

• I agree completely 1

Larry from Essex

2019 Bailey Unicorn Cabrera 2017 Kuga 2. 0 TDCi 150

31 minutes ago, David 38 said:

It's not a matter of do what you want but a case of we are not a police state, and I have met some police that will relish any extra powers

35 minutes ago, Grandpa Steve said:

The saying often used is "knowing all their rights but none of their responsibilities"

2015 VW Touareg 3. 0 V6 TDI + 2013 Lunar Clubman ES

10 hours ago, Gordon said:

Both disgraceful and insensitive regardless of the reason.

How can a machine ever be "sensitive" in the human sense? 

It is all too easy to imagine that machines have human qualities, and in addition are all knowing.

Just because one database has someone as "deceased" does not mean that this automatically carries across to other databases. And even when databases share information they do not always share it correctly and it is not unusual for old information in one database to replace newer information in another database.

• I disagree 1

On holiday one year my wife needed to visit A&E a few weeks later at home we chased a different mater up of a hospital appointment at home local hospital that we hadn't received, turns out out their computer sent it to a boat on the Norfolk Broads.

Regards, David
Ford Kuga ST line 2ltr. Diesel 2017,  Bailey Pursuit 11 400/2 2018, Emove em303 motor mover, Hyundai 1000i Generator.