Jim172707

Cost for two new hubs for a 2008 swift Conqueror

How much dose it cost for two new hubs for a 2008 swift conqueror thanks 

Why not ask your local dealer

1 hour ago, Jim172707 said:

Why do you need to new hubs.   If they are worn, the usual practice is to replace the bearings which are around £20 per side.   Then there's labour on top.

Don't know if relevant but back when I used to work on cars of a hub was in a mess I would get them skimmed by a local fabricates - maybe that's an option if relevant.

When my van needed new brake shoes and hubs, my Dealer tried to charge me for them until I pointed out the van was less than 3 years old under and they came under Alko’s self warranty.

The cost they quoted was around £450, which included the shoes and fitting.

I was told that the hub s had collapsed when it was in for a service 

4 minutes ago, Jim172707 said:

"Hubs.... collapsed" would normally be fixed by new bearings.

6 minutes ago, Jim172707 said:

I was told the shoes had collapsed and the drums were scored.

7 hours ago, Jim172707 said:

Google/Bing or other search engine will find genuine and maybe pattern parts.

Swift dealers could probably accurately price the work?  As might mobile service techs?

https://www.caravanparts.co.uk/brake-drum-hubs-hubs-drums-c-221_98_211.html lists a variety of them - you'll need to know what ones you have currently to get the correct replacement I guess?

There are many other suppliers so do compare prices if you plan to diy

https://www.trailertek.com/trailer-parts/hubs-brake-drums-and-hub-spares/brake-drums 

https://www.leisureshopdirect.com/chassis/caravan-chassis/alko-spares

https://www.westerntowing.co.uk/acatalog/BRAKE_PARTS.html

etc.,.

10 minutes ago, Jim172707 said:

Its unlikely to be true but if  2 sets of bearings really have collapsed it is likely because a service person has previously damaged them, so who seviced it last time? AlKo Euro hubs complete with bearing are list price  £168 each side. Hub nuts are about £3. A dicount ie dealer account could bring this price down a heap. It sounds as though your dealer is on the make. Why not give Western Towing (Alko service and parts) a call in Exeter. If you live within 100 miles or so round trip Im sure they will do a while you wait job. Alternatively use AlKo web site to find a competent service centre.

Don't hub bearings require fairly meaty equipment to extract and reinsert the parts - not a DIY job I would have thought.

2 hours ago, onewheelonmywagon said:

Don't hub bearings require fairly meaty equipment to extract and reinsert the parts - not a DIY job I would have thought.

Can be DIY.   I've knocked them out before then gone to a decent garage and got them to press the new ones in.

3 hours ago, onewheelonmywagon said:

Yes they are pressed in and the interference fit is very tight, and because the bearings are so reliable these days, replacement of the assembly is the norm. If the old bearings are not removed with propper tools there may be damage to the bores, which may affect the new bearings. This is why its nor really a job for the untrained. The factory fitted bearings are inserted with good tooling by a trained operator, so are really better. The bearings are listed by Alko though and if you have access the the equipment and trust the people using it, then you can save some money. If they are treated respectfully by the caravan service people they should go for years in normal service.

3 hours ago, hp100425ev said:

I was told the shoes had collapsed and the drums were scored.

When the shoes collapse on a car it is usually caused by the handbrake not being applied often enough or not at all. It causes the friction material (the lining) breaking down and leaving the unprotected metal shoe making contact with the inside surface of the drum.

The scoring of the drum/drums may not be as bad as is being suggested and possibly an extra little earner for the operative.