Could an infected caravan remain infected post COVID?

I wonder how many caravans might get used for the self isolating of COVID sufferers? I initially planned to take our caravan out of storage and put it on our drive, so that if anyone in our house had symptoms then they could self isolate in it.

But I've decided against that as it could mean the caravan remains infected, rendering it useless and being worth less than scrap as it wouldn't be right to sell it and pass the problem on. This could make any future purchasing of a 2nd hand caravan an extremely risky purchase.

Would you buy a post COVID caravan that might have been used for isolating? Maybe there will be a thousands of 2nd hand caravans being scrapped, and an increase in new caravan sales to replace them?

I believe that the virus can only live a max of 24 hours on soft furnishings,  

On the telly they recommend a 25:1 bleach solution will kill it, but I don’t know if that will harm soft areas.

If someone had it, and they went to bed at home, would you throw the bed away?

Would you feel your house would be unsafe if someone had to isolate there?

John

Edited by JCloughie
  • Like 1

Volvo V70 D3 SE (was Peugeot 4007, SsangYong Korando), Pulling a Lunar Clubman SI 2015. If you are depressed, you are living in the past. If you are anxious, you are living in the future. If you are at peace, you are living in the present.

The reports of Coronavirus living outside the human body is 24 hours on cardboard and upto 28 days on most hard surfaces such as metal or plastic. Copper reportedly kills the virus very quickly.

Now that said I think the report was conducted on "A" Coronavirus not the new family member Covid 19.

The reports of the Covid 19 virus is that its covered in a fatty tissue, which is why soap is the best disinfectant option as this breaks open the fatty protective layer of the virus allowing the inner to be destroyed, hence wash your hands, but again more reports say we catch the virus more via breathing it in.

Therefore I would say the best effective method to decontaminate a caravan fully, leave it park for say 30 days, you dont put yourself at any risk either!

Edited by Wellys and Mac
  • Like 1
31 minutes ago, Wellys and Mac said:

The reports of Coronavirus living outside the human body is 24 hours on cardboard and upto 28 days on most hard surfaces such as metal or plastic.

Have a link to that report?

All I've seen so far is a report claiming SARS virus could survive for 2 days on steel in a laboratory environment.

NHS says it's very unlikely it can spread through things like packaging and food.

It says nothing about the virus spreading through a hard surface but I expect it would if there was any real risk.

Surely if that was the case, infected vehicles would have to be scrapped and houses where people have isolated,destroyed as well! 

11 minutes ago, joanie said:

the answer is 9 days on plastic glass and metal

may I ask where you got info from?

1 hour ago, Wellys and Mac said:

The reports of the Covid 19 virus is that its covered in a fatty tissue, which is why soap is the best disinfectant option as this breaks open the fatty protective layer of the virus allowing the inner to be destroyed, hence wash your hands, but again more reports say we catch the virus more via breathing it in

Therefore I would say the best effective method to decontaminate a caravan fully, leave it park for say 30 days, you

Covid 19 is an enveloped virus and as said above soap will break this layer down.   In Pharmaceutical production products that are made with animal components, have undergo viral reduction steps.  One of which is known as a solvent detergent hold precisely to destroy the virus by destroying the envelope. Soap is a detergent.

The virus is a large virus quoted sizes vary between about                                   80-200Nanometers in diameter to put that in perspective if the diameter of a virus is 100Nm, then you would require a row of 10,000 of them to make a 1mm long line.  

27 minutes ago, joanie said:

the answer is 9 days on plastic glass and metal

They are still learning and doing research into the transmission .

Dave

Jeep Commander 3. 0 V6 CRD

Isuzu D- Max Utah Auto

Elddis Crusader Storm 2000 Kgs, Unipart Royal Atlas Mover .

1 hour ago, Wellys and Mac said:

As said this article is drawing from reports of Corona viruses.

https://www.bbc.com/future/article/20200317-covid-19-how-long-does-the-coronavirus-last-on-surfaces

for those who are asking where I got my info from, this article says 9 days , possibly 28, however I was told a week ago that it was 9 days , the  information was from someone in Europe. 

Whether it's 9 days or 28 is pretty irrelevant to me as I don't see me taking the caravan out at least for the next month or two. By that time there'll be no need to decontaminate.

9 hours ago, LeadFarmer said:

Could an infected caravan remain infected post COVID?

I wonder how many caravans might get used for the self isolating of COVID sufferers? I initially planned to take our caravan out of storage and put it on our drive, so that if anyone in our house had symptoms then they could self isolate in it.

But I've decided against that as it could mean the caravan remains infected, rendering it useless and being worth less than scrap as it wouldn't be right to sell it and pass the problem on. This could make any future purchasing of a 2nd hand caravan an extremely risky purchase.

Would you buy a post COVID caravan that might have been used for isolating? Maybe there will be a thousands of 2nd hand caravans being scrapped, and an increase in new caravan sales to replace them?

The scenario as explained is, I would suggest, just another panic take on the virus story.  Extremely unlikely in the real world . 

Bessacarr Cameo 525 towed by SsangYong Rexton 2.2 auto in Brown.

Since Saturday evening I have been isolating in our caravan on the drive. This was after I started to develop the symptoms late in the afternoon. Luckily we were due to be away for the weekend but cancelled. It meant though we had brought the van out of winter hibernation and had been given a good spring clean and restocked with all the essentials.

Using it to isolate seemed the best way of reducing the risk of passing it on to the rest of the family.

Our plan when this is over is to lock it up and leave it for a few weeks. As mentioned it’s not like we’ll be using it any time soon.

We’ll then give it a good clean/ antibacterial. Can’t see it being a problem.

• Haha 1
1 hour ago, LeadFarmer said:

To be safe, I've set fire to my caravan and my house, and I feel much better.

I do hope the toilet rolls were rescued by CT's very own Scottish foreman.

• Haha 1

Common sense isn't a gift, it's a punishment because you have to deal with everyone who doesn't have it.  :rolleyes:

I wonder how many people wash their hands after collecting the post and then opening the post? 

17 minutes ago, Durbanite said:

I wonder how many people wash their hands after collecting the post and then opening the post? 

We have set aside the dining room as an 'incoming isolation room'.  Anything (including post) that gets delivered is dumped in there and left for 3 days before we touch it.  

1 hour ago, Blackrat 51 said:

Since Saturday evening I have been isolating in our caravan on the drive. This was after I started to develop the symptoms late in the afternoon. Luckily we were due to be away for the weekend but cancelled. It meant though we had brought the van out of winter hibernation and had been given a good spring clean and restocked with all the essentials.

Using it to isolate seemed the best way of reducing the risk of passing it on to the rest of the family.

Our plan when this is over is to lock it up and leave it for a few weeks. As mentioned it’s not like we’ll be using it any time soon.

We’ll then give it a good clean/ antibacterial. Can’t see it being a problem.

How are you now? False alarm or just a mild reaction?

Thanks for asking. Think it was a mild reaction as most of the symptoms are starting to ease apart from the fever.

Because of my age (57) and the fact that I am otherwise healthy the NHS will not test or treat which is reasonable given the situation.

Just have to sit it out and keep taking paracetamol.

• Like 1
2 hours ago, Durbanite said:

I had a box of flowers delivered for mother's day, the driver was back in his van and driving off before I could retrieve them from the door step. I opened the box and   washed my hands. TBH we are both doing everything that is being asked of us but we are bound to forget something sometime and then boom! We went out for a walk , lovely in the sunshine, only saw one lady with her dogs, she also had them on a lead and stayed at the other end of the field, so it was very nice. 

Had a case of wine delivered yesterday- disposable gloves on, cardboard box and liners straight into the bin followed by the gloves. New gloves on, went over all the bottles with a wipe, put them into the rack where they will stay for a few days before we consider opening them. Gloves disposed of.

Ain't life getting complicated 😀😀😀

Bessacarr Cameo 525 towed by SsangYong Rexton 2.2 auto in Brown.

I wouldnt worry about the gloves tbh.

Are you touching door handles whilst wearing them?

Our house rule is, when entering wash hands immediately in downstairs toilet, the sink muppets 😃, use rubbing alcohol next to sink to wipe handle light pull.

Edited by Wellys and Mac