Sign in to follow this  
macvan

Alko Wheel Lock

My Alko wheel lock is on the shelf in the garage -- I took it on one holiday and tried to use it --- no way was I going to jack up my van - rotate the wheel -- feel for the hole - and put on the lock -- total waste of space time and effort. .

SAS clamp on the wheel 20 seconds to fit - done.

Almost the same as the under-slung wheel holder -- again from Alko -- hope you never have to get one off. ... in anger. .with a flat tyre - on wet grass etc etc. .

Yes, I do agree that the Alko clamps are a pain, but 20 seconds to fit a 'normal' wheel clamp and the bu****s take less time to get one off! :blink:

I have a twin axle and use the Alko clamps at home where I have the time and hard surface to jack the van up. On site I usually rely on the hitch lock and alarm BUT I usually rally and a van theft from a rally field has never occurred in our Centre as far as I know (too many people looking out for others!). :rolleyes:

I'd be interested to hear of anyone who has had a van stolen when using the Alko clamps. The only one I have heard of had the clamps removed using oxy acetylene!

Martin W

My Alko wheel lock is on the shelf in the garage --

So you will have 1 x Alko lock for sale than Maurice? ;)

I have the same insurance policy from C&CC so I can assume that in accordance with terms that you "always" fit both hitch lock and alko wheel clamp every time you stop say at motorway services, on site and in storage/home?

If you are that dedicated in the use of the AlKo wheel clamp you deserve the small extra discount - me I would rather the convienience of the quick and easy SAS Gold product when touring and saving the "frustration" of trying to level and fit the damn Alko on sites.

Biggest risk of having van stolen has to be at motorway stops and from storage/driveway.

I do always fit the Alko locks and find that after 3 years have got the knack and remember to do the wheel clamp first on unhitching

Levelling and aligning the wheel clamp can be tricky but using the Powrtouch mover makes the job a lot easier and the Kojack jack can be used in extreme conditions such as when the levelling ramp is needed on the offside

It is certainly smaller, lighter and easier to handle/fit than the old 3 part Milenco was

I say that I always fit it but the van has been at the dealers minus the axle for several weeks and I found the sign on their wall recommending customers to fit a wheel clamp difficult to comply with ;)

I recently had a wheel come off the van after 12 miles from home

I am becoming more convinced that this was because someone tried to remove the wheel to get the Alko lock off during the evening before we left as I had checked the wheel bolts the night before using a torque wrench and they were correct . ;)

So you will have 1 x Alko lock for sale than Maurice? ;)

It will sit there till I sell the van -- and then go with it. .. Good selling point !!!!! :lol:

I am becoming more convinced that this was because someone tried to remove the wheel to get the Alko lock off during the evening before we left as I had checked the wheel bolts the night before using a torque wrench and they were correct . ;)

This is probably the time that caravan is most vulnerable - the night before going away as it is loaded with all the "goodies" and ready for a quick start in the morning.

At this time I always make sure that the AlKo wheel clamp, the SAS Superclamp Gold, hitchlock and motor mover left engaged along with the alarm switched on of course.

I also have the caravan and car under 24 hr CCTV surveylance. :D

I had the Alko lock with my last van and was glad to see the back of it, it was such a pain at times to fit (sadly necessary tho!) I have a bulldog max on my new van which is so much easier to use (even fit it at services etc. .)

Jeff

It will sit there till I sell the van -- and then go with it. .. Good selling point !!!!! :lol:

Maybe not - if they have read this post ! :o

I have two of these alko wheel lock things. Spent over an hour trying to remove one on Friday so we could go on holiday. They come with two keys and one spare key doesnt work at all now, the other key works if you want to remove the skin off both your thumbs and use numerous screwdrivers to hold the barrel steady. That wheel lock has gone back to the dealers, lets see what they make of it. They probably have a big box full of them behind the work shop!!

So many bad tales of the Alko, It makes me want to buy the bulldog max for ease of use but I have heard they are easy to burn off as the barrel sticks out a bit, problem is there are no stats saying which if any of them have been cut off while in position. .

So many bad tales of the Alko, It makes me want to buy the bulldog max for ease of use but I have heard they are easy to burn off as the barrel sticks out a bit, problem is there are no stats saying which if any of them have been cut off while in position. .

I have an Alko and have had hardly any problems, once I got the mover fitted it has been a doddle, easier than the Rise and Clamp I used to use. It has never been trouble to get off,I do tighten it up with a torque wrench though. The only thing is that as sure as eggs is eggs the tyre valve is in the gap I want to use so I have to move the van a foot or so, but that would apply to the bulldog as well.

. ...... The only thing is that as sure as eggs is eggs the tyre valve is in the gap I want to use so I have to move the van a foot or so, but that would apply to the bulldog as well.

My Bulldog Max can use the slot with the tyre valve in!

Brian

My Bulldog Max can use the slot with the tyre valve in!

Brian

I can't use any slot at the moment

After 5 weeks off the road and an axle repair the dealer received the axle only to find that the wheel clamp receiver had been damage so that it was hard up against the brake drum

Its thought that the carrier dropped it

We are now waiting for a replacement receiver and as we are booked onto a site tomorrow its fingers crossed that it arrived yesterday or will arrive today

I have asked if the van can be handed over without the receiver if its not here in time

Maybe that would be the best bet anyway as so many people are having problems with the Alko

I quite like it but would like to use the van again :blink:

It would mean advising the insurance and an increased premium

Well I have just come back from a week away in the van with an Alko wheel lock and it is simple and easy to use.

I can see the problem with double axle vans but mine is a single axle with a mover.

I can't imagine ever going back to SAS, down on my knees trying to align the thread.

The Bulldog three piece clamp, which is designed for someone with three hands, incidentally the Bulldog bends easily as it did when I had a van stolen in 1999.

10/10 to Alko---a brilliant piece of kit

Brian

Hi

I use a Purpleline Excalabur. The device is similar to the Bulldog complete with Sold Secure Gold locks. But this device has a trick up its sleeve, it comes with a further receiver. If the caravan fitted Alko receiver doesnt line up with the holes in the alloy wheel fit the suplied receiver behind the wheel and screw in the locking pin. All for less than 80 quid

Sandy

The receiver arrived today just in time so we will be able to go away tomorrow with Alko wheel clamp use :D

incidentally the Bulldog bends easily as it did when I had a van stolen in 1999.

10/10 to Alko---a brilliant piece of kit

Brian

Cheers for that Brian, thats what I needed to know, anyone who had one knicked with one on the van,I had heard the bulldog was suseptible to theft as it was thin and because the lock bit stuck out it was easily burnt off, think I will stick with the Alko!!