Sign in to follow this  
macvan

Alko Wheel Lock

Looking through the magazines these appear to be the best on the market - does anyone know:

1) Where to get them from and for how much? - I have searched the web but can't find them; and

2) whether they are better than the Bulldog / milenco versions??

Cheers

Mac

I looked at one of these but was put off by the fact that you have to have the wheel exactly in the right place for it to fit. Instead I went for the Bulldog Max, which is less critical as you only have to have the attachment socket somewhere not obscured by the wheel spokes. Works very well and simple and easy to fit and its cheaper.

I got mine from here

Brian

The AlKo version appears better in that it's almost impossible to cut off, having discussed this at length with a enthusiastic Policeman. They are also much less bulky but as you say the disadvantage is that they are much more difficult to line up. I have a twin axle and always jack up the van to turn the wheels to the right position (two required). A pain but you soon get into it.

The device is a good idea, but Alko and the van manufacturers have missed a trick, again, IMHO. They should fit the security bracket to both ends of the axle not just the UK nearside. I'll only ever use mine on dead flat pitches, so that'll be about once a year then. ... <_<

Cheers 'n' Beers

I looked at one of these but was put off by the fact that you have to have the wheel exactly in the right place for it to fit. Instead I went for the Bulldog Max, which is less critical as you only have to have the attachment socket somewhere not obscured by the wheel spokes. Works very well and simple and easy to fit and its cheaper.

I got mine from here

Brian

I agree and my Bulldog Max actually gets used whereas I doubt that the Alko would as it's too much bother.

. ....I doubt that the Alko would as it's too much bother.
I hate having the Mk1 version of anything, I'll bet the MkII Alko Wheel Lock will be a lot more user-friendly. :angry:

I hate having the Mk1 version of anything, I'll bet the MkII Alko Wheel Lock will be a lot more user-friendly. :angry:

i think the bulldog one might be the one to go for, even with the new "diamond" rating, i think the extra £100 is too steep (even though i do fancy it)

cheers

:blink:

i think the bulldog one might be the one to go for, even with the new "diamond" rating, i think the extra £100 is too steep (even though i do fancy it)

cheers

:blink:

I have one and yes it is a minus in that you have to line it up, on occasion my caravan projects a couple of feet more than I want when parked.

I have one and yes it is a minus in that you have to line it up, on occasion my caravan projects a couple of feet more than I want when parked.

Went for the Alko in the end, colected the van and there were two Senators parked outside showing off their nice new locks.

Unfortunately i discovered that one the Alko locks are specific to each type of van ie Pageant alloys vs Senator Alloy wheels and two Bailey have retained the rights and you have to order them from Bailey ie the dealers don't stock them.

Small problem when you need a lock to comply with the insurance, lucklly the dealer lent me an trust old Milenco clamp to tide me over and i collected a new Alko from Bailey this afternoon.

No problem to fit and the only thing they told me was to be careful not to cross thread it.

I even torqued it up to the right level too, and i must say it looks absolutly brill.

Oh please don't be scared by the cost, i used to believe it was circa £250 which is quite steep compared to the Bulldog at £150 (although i have see it cheaper recently), the Alko is £175 incl VAT and you get to go to the factory too.

Cheers,

Macvan

post-5004-1184276150_thumb.jpg

Went for the Alko in the end, colected the van and there were two Senators parked outside showing off their nice new locks.

Unfortunately i discovered that one the Alko locks are specific to each type of van ie Pageant alloys vs Senator Alloy wheels and two Bailey have retained the rights and you have to order them from Bailey ie the dealers don't stock them.

Small problem when you need a lock to comply with the insurance, lucklly the dealer lent me an trust old Milenco clamp to tide me over and i collected a new Alko from Bailey this afternoon.

No problem to fit and the only thing they told me was to be careful not to cross thread it.

I even torqued it up to the right level too, and i must say it looks absolutly brill.

Oh please don't be scared by the cost, i used to believe it was circa £250 which is quite steep compared to the Bulldog at £150 (although i have see it cheaper recently), the Alko is £175 incl VAT and you get to go to the factory too.

Cheers,

Macvan

What is your van? macvan

We moved our caravan yesterday for the first time since we took delivery in March . We have used it every weekend and it has been on grass so inevitably it has moved a little. Having read all the comments about Alko wheel locks on this forum, I spent all night the previous night lying awake worrying about getting the lock off and what we did if we couldn't knowing that we had to have the van at home today to get ready for our annual trip to Devon on Sunday.

Imagine my delight when it came off easily when I reversed the instructions and when I got the van back on the drive at home, it went back on easily, lined up with no effort and is now secure!

Is that beginner's luck or what??!! I am hoping that it will stay that way!

Chris

Certainly very lucky, I have a brand new van, brand new lock, and one always sticks. And like you say what the hell do you do if you cant get it off!?!? :angry::angry::angry:

what the hell do you do if you cant get it off!?!? :angry::angry::angry:

Go down to your local travellers site, i bet they can get it off :D

Guest John KS

We have only used our Alko twice and I can't get used to lining the wheel up before I wind down the legs. Had to rewind them both times. Third time lucky next week if it ever stops raining!!!!!!!!!!

We have only used our Alko twice and I can't get used to lining the wheel up before I wind down the legs. Had to rewind them both times. Third time lucky next week if it ever stops raining!!!!!!!!!!

Do you not fit the wheel lock before winding down the legs?

According to Alko you should even keep the car hitched to the van whilst you connect the lock. Jack the van up to align the wheel with the lock, then fit the lock, remove jack, unhitch car level caravan, then put kettle on!! :D

Guest John KS

According to Alko you should even keep the car hitched to the van whilst you connect the lock. Jack the van up to align the wheel with the lock, then fit the lock, remove jack, unhitch car level caravan, then put kettle on!! :D

Yep. Have got the message NOW!!!!

It's starting to make a right mess of the nearside alloy wheel, though!

Guest John KS
It's starting to make a right mess of the nearside alloy wheel, though!

Ours has got a couple of pads to stop marking. Don't they work?

:o

I have had 2 Alko wheel clamps on different wheel styles with no problem of marking the alloys

I have asked Alko if its possible to have a receiver fitted to the offside but they are not replying :rolleyes:

The biggest pain comes when you not only have to line up the receiver with the gap in the wheel, but also have to level the van side to side! Not usually a problem on most hardstandings, but quite often a pain on a grass pitch!

Hi

I purchased the AlKo wheel lock along with my new caravan. It is an absolute pain when on site in trying to level the van (which is most of the time) and then trying to fit the Alko Wheel Lock (even with motor mover & jack) It is of course possible, but in my case I decided much less frustrating to also purchase an SAS Secure Gold wheel clamp.

I use the AlKo when caravan it is at home on the hard standing and the SAS one when travelling and on site (much easier to fit).

My insurance states that whenever stopped at services or site then an insurance approved hitch lock and wheel clamp must be used.

My insurance through the C & CC gives a bigger discount on the premium for the Alko clamp than for the SAS

My insurance through the C & CC gives a bigger discount on the premium for the Alko clamp than for the SAS

I have the same insurance policy from C&CC so I can assume that in accordance with terms that you "always" fit both hitch lock and alko wheel clamp every time you stop say at motorway services, on site and in storage/home?

If you are that dedicated in the use of the AlKo wheel clamp you deserve the small extra discount - me I would rather the convienience of the quick and easy SAS Gold product when touring and saving the "frustration" of trying to level and fit the damn Alko on sites.

Biggest risk of having van stolen has to be at motorway stops and from storage/driveway.

My Alko wheel lock is on the shelf in the garage -- I took it on one holiday and tried to use it --- no way was I going to jack up my van - rotate the wheel -- feel for the hole - and put on the lock -- total waste of space time and effort. .

SAS clamp on the wheel 20 seconds to fit - done.

Almost the same as the under-slung wheel holder -- again from Alko -- hope you never have to get one off. ... in anger. .with a flat tyre - on wet grass etc etc. .