Sign in to follow this  
conorandlucy

can't collect new caravan!

Our new caravan is in stock but with the virus problems we are being told not to go out!

:(

We are hoping to get a new van which was due sometime next month but I suspect that it will get delayed and even if it doesn't I'm not sure we'll be able to collect it.

Lets just see how it goes.

If it's  paid for and don't have section 75 protection I would go and pick it up before the supplier runs out of money.

• Like 1
  • I agree completely 1

Posted (edited)

Me too, go get it.

You wont be able to use it mind.

Ask the dealer to stay 2 metres away from you, dont have the usual handover, do a check yourselves for defects. Take your own pen.

Wash hands

I see no issue 

Edited by Wellys and Mac
  • Like 3
  • I agree completely 1

1 hour ago, Wellys and Mac said:

I see no issue   

Unless something happens on the journey to the dealership or on way home . . .

The OP has to decide whether this is an "essential" journey.

• Like 2

I presume you will have talked to the Dealer about what to do. 

I can’t see that they would be too happy about keeping the caravan for too long without being paid for it, and I personally wouldn't be happy paying for it without seeing it and taking it home.

I would be going for it quickly before lockdown comes.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

I would prefer to go and collect it but make sure there is lots of hand washing all round and keeping apart, so not all in the caravan together and no hand shaking. You could even put gloves on. It also gives you a chance to see if your car is up to the job of towing it. Then if not you will have a few months to try and get a car more suitable for when you can go away and enjoy the caravan. Collect it sooner rather than later as the virus spread is supposed to double every few days.

Edited by Paul1957

you don't usually pay for a van fully until the hand over, so if there's a problem it would just be the deposit that's lost.  They should have already made sure the car is a match before ordering the van. Anyway once this is over I wish you happy caravanning:)

• Like 1

I mentioned the car since I remember a recent topic and it was thought by many that their car was not really heavy enough.

29 minutes ago, joanie said:

you don't usually pay for a van fully until the hand over, so if there's a problem it would just be the deposit that's lost.  They should have already made sure the car is a match before ordering the van. Anyway once this is over I wish you happy caravanning:)

My deposit was £1500.

Was that paid by credit card? If so and you are prevented from (rather than deciding against) collecting it, would you have protection through the cc company?

2 hours ago, Wellys and Mac said:

Me too, go get it.

You wont be able to use it mind.

Ask the dealer to stay 2 metres away from you, dont have the usual handover, do a check yourselves for defects. Take your own pen.

Wash hands

I see no issue 

Don't forget a fishing rod, so the salesman can pass you the keys over:lol:

7 minutes ago, Babstreefern said:

Don't forget a fishing rod, so the salesman can pass you the keys over:lol:

smiley face :)

What a quandary.

Once the money is paid and delivery taken the sale is complete BUT in that instant all the clocks start running - warranty, Consumer Rights Act and annual servicing.

Due to the current covid-19 situation the new purchase will have to immediately go into storage for an unknown period preventing any chance of a thorough shake down. The CRA 30 day rejection period will soon come and go whilst time marches on and eats into the 6 month repair/reject period. Before you know, a years warranty will be gone and it will be time for the first service, possibly, without so much as having turned a wheel for enjoyment.

Whatever you decide be quick. The Govt. are seriously considering forcing the closure of all non-essential retailers.

Lots of dealers & service centres are already shut or shutting at the end of the week (if not told to do so sooner by Boris)

May not make a difference if the annoucement at 8.30 is lockdown

5 hours ago, Gordon said:

Have you still got your old caravan ? If the dealer is having to shut before you can collect the new one, I hope they survive the forced closure.

19 hours ago, conorandlucy said:

Our new caravan is in stock but with the virus problems we are being told not to go out!

Ask the dealer to deliver it to you, I am up to speed on the current situation, but the dealer will be desperate to bank your money

20 hours ago, conorandlucy said:

Well, its not going anywhere. As my FB Memories keep reminding me this very time last year I was down at Machrihanish with the van, out on my bike looking for cake shops, chilling at night with a Guinness... Heed Up these day's shall return... B)

GAS ...

2 hours ago, Les Medes said:

Ask the dealer to deliver it to you, I am up to speed on the current situation, but the dealer will be desperate to bank your money

Essential journey?

• I agree completely 2

My dealer rang  to say new van can`t be collected as arranged so only a small deposit paid is held by them and our current van is still at home, so quite happy as the warranty/service clock isn't ticking either. 

12 hours ago, Les Medes said:

Dealerships are not on the exempt list of businesses that can open for trade so must be closed.

1 hour ago, Legal Eagle said:

Dealerships are not on the exempt list of businesses that can open for trade so must be closed.

I fear that for a number of the smaller independent ones, that will be the end of trading all together :(

6 minutes ago, Gordon said:

I fear that for a number of the smaller independent ones, that will be the end of trading all together :(

I do hope not. The Govt. financial assistance packages on offer should help support them.