Looking for tv recommendations, our van is on a seasonal super pitch so 12 v not essential, I'm looking for a 24” tv with decent sound and picture also smart tv option would be great but not a deal breaker as we have various dongle type devices.

thanks in advance 👍🏻🙏🏻

You wont go wrong with an Avtex, not cheap, but one of the best on the market

Les

Ours came with an Avtex, it went in the loft the picture was pot.

Bought a Samsung  22” from Tesco and it’s still going strong 10 years later.

Jaguar E-Pace 180D HSE R Dynamic - 2008 Swift Conqueror 540

"Unless otherwise stated, my posts will be my personal thoughts and have the same standing as any other member of Caravan Talk"

9 hours ago, Grandpa Steve said:

Should have sent it back GS, ours came with the van,it was so good we bought another for the kitchen, we did have a problem with the original and took it to Avtex and they fitted a new board and was ready to collect two hours later, how's that for service

Les

Why bother with an Avtex?

So expensive for what they are, a mediocre tv with poor sound. If you’ve permanent hook up just use a mainstream tv. 

Really disappointed with ours, preferred our previous Samsung, now residing in our kitchen at home. 

• Like 1

Main reasons for Avtex are 12v, DVD player and really good customer service. You can get a good enough model from almost anywhere.  John Lewis online would be a good place to start. 

• I agree completely 1

It's difficult to get any sort of flat screen TV with decent sound so many people use a soundbar or additional speaker to improve it.

We've been more than happy with our 22" Logik (Currys/Dixon's own brand) that we bought seven or eight years ago - it's full HD, got a decent picture (with a fairly good viewing angle (although not so good when it's mounted high up and you are lying down) and an inbuilt DVD. We use it with a bluetooth transmitter and speaker. It makes a pretty good computer monitor when connected to the HDMI port of my laptop.

We did have an Avtex which was supplied with a previous van which was OK but not special and ended up in the loft - thats why we bought the Logik

What ever you get make sure it's full HD (1920x1080) rather than HD-Ready (1,366 x 768) check the spec very carefully as a lot of the smaller TVs are still only HD ready

Edited by matelodave
  • Thanks 1

2018 S-Max Titanium 2. 0 Tdci (177. 54bhp,180ps,132kw) Powershift + 2015 Unicorn III Cadz, Ventura Marlin porch awning

10 hours ago, Grandpa Steve said:

Our previous caravan came with an Avtex, picture was only any cop if viewed more or less direct on which did not suit our viewing positions so sold it and bought a conventional TV, we had no need for a 12v feature.

That was back in 2008 though so viewing angles may have improved on them since then.

Stay safe - Griff.:ph34r:

Discovery 4 with a Bessacarr 845 behind

10 hours ago, Zingboomyattertytat said:

Looking for tv recommendations, our van is on a seasonal super pitch so 12 v not essential, I'm looking for a 24” tv with decent sound and picture also smart tv option would be great but not a deal breaker as we have various dongle type devices.

thanks in advance 👍🏻🙏🏻

Given your specific requirement for a 24” tv...

... for our caravan we recently bought a 24" LG from Currys.  It is an HD ready smart Tv with Freesat  & Freeview tuners.  We have no complaints whatsoever.

There are a couple of 24" Toshiba available too, one with and one without a DVD player.  Both are smart and both HDReady.  We don’t have one of these in 24” but we do have a recently purchased 32” Toshiba in one of our bedrooms.

Again, no complaints about this one beyond the overly bright flashing light when it phones home in the dead of night (auto update).  We simply switched auto-update off - problem solved

Cello, Panasonic, Philips and Sharp (and others) also produce 24” televisions but no idea what any of them may be like.

• I agree completely 1

As Matelodave says make sure any TV you buy is not only full HD (usually indicated as 1080p) but just as importantly that it has an HD tuner otherwise it may become obsolete in a few years time.  You will be better off with a 24" or 27" otherwise you will find the tickertape on the BBC News Channel and on Sky News near impossible to read. There are Samsung and LG models around that also have satellite tuners built-in which have their advantages in a caravan situation. I would not bother with a smart TV at this stage as site wi-fi is not usually good enough to support it. If you have a laptop you might be better looking into a mobile wi-fi (a.k.a. mi-fi) unit that gets the Interweb over 4G (or soon to be 5G) from the cellular phone system. Some TVs have wi-fi built-in but connecting can sometimes be difficult if you do not have technical ability.

Also if you go to Expensive World make sure you don't buy a Samsung or LG that is a model exclusive to them.

When you have decided on the make/model before buying it would be wise to find its user manual on the web and read it carefully to see if it has manual tuning capability. As the number of TV transmitter channels reduces with part of the spectrum being sold for 5G it is likely that more and more locations will have signal overlap between transmitters and your TV <could> select the 'wrong' transmitter: if it has manual tuning it helps as you can tune it yourself. We bought a Philips 24" TV when we built a kitchen extension 3 years ago. Whilst it has a good picture and reasonable sound it does not have manual tuning. Thus if a retune is required it has to go through everything and as we live in an overlap area of two main transmitters and (on a good day) it can find two others as well, it can take the TV 10 minutes or more to complete the tuning - against about 2-3 minutes for our other Samsung/Panasonic TVs.

Your best source is John Lewis as you will get a minimum two year guarantee, or better still Richer Sounds who will do a 5/6 year guarantee sometimes within the price otherwise for 10% of the cost.

• Thanks 1

2018 Passat B8 Estate 150GT TDi150 towing a 2018 Bailey Unicorn S4 Seville

38 minutes ago, matelodave said:

What ever you get make sure it's full HD (1920x1080) rather than HD-Ready (1,366 x 768) check the spec very carefully as a lot of the smaller TVs are still only HD ready

It is a known fact that on small screens under 32" that you have to have extremely sharp vision to tell the difference so a HD ready TV will probably suffice.  In addition on small HD TVs probably all have issues with motion however this is not apparent on HD ready TVs.  UHD only really kicks in on 65and above TVs. 

The above is stated on many websites if you use Google so not making it up.

• Like 2

We bought a couple of Lidl TVs with built in sat tuners (including one for bedroom in our Elegance 560. I had considered expensive as quality is our number one aim, but can't fault the performance of the Lidl sets apart form the usual limitations of sound quality. Being a DIY nut I custom mounted the main TV on the wall panel by the door (a mount strong enough to leave in situ when travelling) which meant I was able to use the top locker behind to mount an inexpensive but very effective 2.1 PC active speaker system behind a custom grille.

The result is very good sound ( a compact sound bar will never manage decent bass on its own - laws of physics).  The grille also means we were able to hide the IR repeater to work the 12V BluRay player in the same locker. As an aside, another bonus is that we no longer need to use the standard DAB radio module which is standard on the Elegance - it's hard to imagine how they could have made it sound any worse if they had tried!

1 hour ago, Durbanite said:

It is a known fact that on small screens under 32" that you have to have extremely sharp vision to tell the difference so a HD ready TV will probably suffice.  In addition on small HD TVs probably all have issues with motion however this is not apparent on HD ready TVs.  UHD only really kicks in on 65and above TVs. 

The above is stated on many websites if you use Google so not making it up.

As I sometimes use mine as a PC monitor I bebefit from HD and I reckon that if you are playing an HD DVD (BlueRay)  then you'll get a better picture than if it's downgraded to 1366. My eyes are pretty rubbish but even I can see a difference when the original content is HD.

But as always it's entirely up to you, have a look a few and make up your own mind.

Edited by matelodave

2018 S-Max Titanium 2. 0 Tdci (177. 54bhp,180ps,132kw) Powershift + 2015 Unicorn III Cadz, Ventura Marlin porch awning

It is difficult for most people to tell the difference in picture quality between makes at that size and generally they have cheap speakers, although our Samsung is good in our opinion. I would buy whatever looks best the time and if the sound is not up to your standard, a sound bar should help.

There is no point in buying an Avtex, or any others with 12 v capacity, as you are paying for that and not using it. Those are for tourers who might run it on 12 v off grid.

Edited by Wildwood

I should have said in my earlier post that sound on the Avtex (I think ours is an 18” set) is perfectly acceptable to us. I think some of the new sets have twin tuners, ie watch one record another.

8 minutes ago, Orange said:

I should have said in my earlier post that sound on the Avtex (I think ours is an 18” set) is perfectly acceptable to us. I think some of the new sets have twin tuners, ie watch one record another.

Ours is a 2015 21" and we have a BOSE Soundlink Mini II so sound is directed towards us and not through front windows of caravan.

12 hours ago, ReggiePerrin said:

Given your specific requirement for a 24” tv...

... for our caravan we recently bought a 24" LG from Currys.  It is an HD ready smart Tv with Freesat  & Freeview tuners.  We have no complaints whatsoever.

There are a couple of 24" Toshiba available too, one with and one without a DVD player.  Both are smart and both HDReady.  We don’t have one of these in 24” but we do have a recently purchased 32” Toshiba in one of our bedrooms.

Again, no complaints about this one beyond the overly bright flashing light when it phones home in the dead of night (auto update).  We simply switched auto-update off - problem solved

Cello, Panasonic, Philips and Sharp (and others) also produce 24” televisions but no idea what any of them may be like.

We have two of the LG TV’s mentioned above in our caravan and they are superb. The smart functions are really good as are the freesat and Freeview tuners. I think they were @£160 each last October.

• Like 1

2020 Swift Eccles 650 towed by Range Rover Vogue SE SDV8 4.4

"What doesn't kill you only makes you stronger!"