bessacarr425

Stupid people with no consideration for others.

5 minutes ago, matelodave said:

Does anyone really know whats going on - all we are fed with is what the media squirts out pluss what the government is prepared to tell us. We have no real idea of what contingency plans have been set up or are in force, likewise we dont really know who is doing what, when, why or how or for how long they've been doing it.

The media have sensationalised some of it, tried scaring us all, whipped up a bit of panic buying but probably know nearly as much as the rest of us.

Include a bit of fake news, hearsay and I guess that some of the armchair Brexit, constitutional and financial experts from last year have now become medical, epidemiological and logistics experts and are lending their extensive wisdom and advice to the mix

We are in the same boat on this forum :D

Edited by oldboy

2 hours ago, Black Grouse said:

McLaren F1 team have also been involved

Just sign up for official government email updates and ignore the media.

I have but I love seeing some of the rubbish thats being promulgated on this and other websites (My mate's, friend's, wife, who know a bloke who works in etc)

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Dobloseven said:

Regarding ventilators, Rolls Royce (aero engines) are also on the case . Perhaps the caravan industry should get involved as well! 

Caravan industry!! now that is a bit silly all the ventilator will be leaking :D

• Haha 2
  • I agree completely 1

29 minutes ago, oldboy said:

Caravan industry!! now that is a bit silly all the ventilator will be leaking :D

They'd have nice new graphics every year though!

• Haha 2

8 minutes ago, matelodave said:

In my view there is an undercurrent of Scottish is good and English is bad or not ever so effective from some posters on this forum so I'm just trying to redress the balance a bit :rolleyes:

Mr Plodd quoted me. You assumed that I was Scottish and launched your invective against Scots, and Nicola Sturgeon in particular.

I’m not sure how good your geography is, but I’m from Nottingham. Which is in England.

• Haha 3

1 hour ago, Dobloseven said:

Regarding ventilators, Rolls Royce (aero engines) are also on the case . Perhaps the caravan industry should get involved as well! 

They haven't got caravans right yet! Would you trust a ventilator built by one of them?

3 hours ago, Grumpy Auld Smeesh said:

My mate who lives in darkest Wales has a Red Card Green Card scenario in operation in his street for the more elderly and vulnerable neighbours. If the Green Card is displayed at the window all is good but if a Red Card is displayed the house hold requires assistance. It's more for getting shopping etc. Fantastic effort. Stay Safe Troops....

GAS ... 

A nice idea but what if the green card is  displayed and there is an incident, a fall perhaps, and the card colour can't be changed

• Like 1
  • I do not understand 1

10 minutes ago, Flat_at said:

A nice idea but what if the green card is  displayed and there is an incident, a fall perhaps, and the card colour can't be changed

If people are prone to falling, there are "fall-down" alarms which can be used - in the present crisis, some of the 500,000 volunteers will be utilised phoning the vulnerable regularly to check their well-being.

2 hours ago, Dobloseven said:

NoNoNo Ventilators leaking, squeaking and turning up unuseable is really what we do not need. 

• Haha 1

It’s quite important for people to understand that there are different requirement of ventilators depending on their use and the risk of contagion from

the patient - intubation of a COVID patient has quite specific needs.

The inquest on how it’s been handled will come later and we can all make our own  judgement what to do about with this government then.

For my part ferry not booked caravan service cancelled caravan back on axle stands maybe until next year but hopefully not.

Being retired I feel so lucky knowing income is unaffected, so sad for all those people who are going to struggle. 

• I agree completely 1

14 hours ago, Dobloseven said:

Caravan Industry? the one with the reputation for poor design, dreadful quality control and no experience with electronics and technology? Why WOULD they be considered?

• I agree completely 2

14 hours ago, Dobloseven said:

Unfortunately some members seem to have missed the humour in your post and have taken it seriously.

Funny old world isn't it  :) :)  :)

• Haha 2
  • I agree completely 4

2 hours ago, weekender said:

he inquest on how it’s been handled will come later and we can all make our own  judgement what to do about with this government then.

For my part ferry not booked caravan service cancelled caravan back on axle stands maybe until next year but hopefully not.

Being retired I feel so lucky knowing income is unaffected, so sad for all those people who are going to struggle. 

It was me who posted the first criticism of the post made by Robloadsby (which now appears to have disappeared so I am unable to “quote” it

In it he criticised the Govt for awarding the contract to make additional ventilators to Dyson and JCB and alleges they had been awarded the contract, in preference to the original producer, because they were looking after their “Tory party donors” 

Now to my mind that is a clear case of someone trying to score political points. 

As for the apparent “confusion” over an EU purchasing policy I don’t know the details so did not comment.

Andy

If anyone can find Robloadsby’ original post perhaps they could “quote” it?

Admin comment:

A number of negative comments have been permanently deleted, precisely so their content cannot be perpetuated. The one you refer to may well be one of these.  

• I agree completely 1

I don't see why we shouldn't discuss the government. If we're happy to discuss  the actions of ' Stupid people with no consideration for others.' then why shouldn't we discuss the governments actions in this?

I'm sure if Boris and co. decided to increase taxation on caravanning we'd have plenty of posts on the subject.

Having been involved in procuring contracts (as a service expert, not a commercial expert) I have some familiarity with procurement rules in the EU, and there is NO WAY that following those processes (which UK legislation mirrors) would allow equipment to be delivered in a timely fashion.  

About two weeks ago, UK Govt issued a notice that because of the emergency, the rules were suspended, and since that they have issued a number of "Notices" which are of the type "Ventilators: if you think you can help us, get in touch" (That's a VERY simple precis of the sense rather than the detail).

So, the lack of involvement in an EU procurement smacks to me more of oversight rather than anything else.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Dave Capiro owner said:

I don't see why we shouldn't discuss the government. If we're happy to discuss  the actions of ' Stupid people with no consideration for others.' then why shouldn't we discuss the governments actions in this?

Discussion is okay, but cheap points scoring isn’t helpful and will rapidly see the thread turn into another entrenched circular argument which nobody benefits from

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • I agree completely 2

19 minutes ago, Dave Capiro owner said:

I'm sure if Boris and co. decided to increase taxation on caravanning we'd have plenty of posts on the subject.

No doubt it’ll come! After all, the money that is being dished out will have to be paid back somehow.

17 minutes ago, FrankBullet said:

Discussion is okay, but cheap points scoring isn’t helpful and will rapidly see the thread turn into another entrenched circular argument which nobody benefits from

With respect Frank, one mans cheap point scoring is another mans valid criticism. I happen to agree with the Dyson point made, and feel it's a relevant issue. I'm not suggesting we should spend pages of thread discussing it back and forth, but it's worth raising on a public forum.

33 minutes ago, Dave Capiro owner said:

One thing for definite is that bringing political comments into a topic is a sure fire way of bringing it to an  early death.

The CT graveyard is full of them.

• I agree completely 1

2 minutes ago, Dave Capiro owner said:

With respect Frank, one mans cheap point scoring is another mans valid criticism. I happen to agree with the Dyson point made, and feel it's a relevant issue. I'm not suggesting we should spend pages of thread discussing it back and forth, but it's worth raising on a public forum.

Thats all very well but you are speaking from a point of ignorance in regards to circumstances of the contract being awarded. To my mind someone like Dyson have factories set up to make tens of thousands of plastic components per day. The machinery just need to be adapted to make parts for ventilators rather than vacuum cleaners, so those “new” components can start to be produced in a fairly short period of time, and time is one thing we DONT have as the number of cases is rising at a terrifying rate. 

I dont see any criticism of the firms who have been given the contract to adapt Excel! On that subject did you see the news footage of that enormous Oxygen tank being installed (and the two additional plinths alongside for another two). Liquid Oxygen expands to something in the region of 600 times its liquid volume when turned to gas. That’s a VERY large amount of Oxygen that SOMEONE with access to vastly more information than any of us have, has decided will probably be necessary in the very near future, yet STILL there are people who see no purpose in the current restrictions. I wonder if their attitude would be different if they contract it? 

In the meantime I think the Government are doing all they can. It’s a totally new area for the entire world so everyone is “feeling their way” to a great extent. I am sure that once this has all died down there will be some who are quick to point out where things could have been done better, and they will, to a certain extent probably be right. But in the meantime I still think the Govt are doing the best THEY think they can under the present unprecedented crisis because it IS a very serious crisis written with a very large C.

In the meantime stay safe and abide by the rules which no-one likes but most see the vital need for.

Andy

At least the sun is shining! 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • I agree completely 1

This pandemic is too serious for people taking cheap shots at the government.  The government is overwhelmed by a situation which completely  new and is not of their making.  Likewise the emergency services are in the same position.  They are all doing their. very best under the circumstances....... The advice given is to stay at home and when going out for permitted reasons to maintain social distancing and personal hygiene.  

It's obvious that this advice is being ignored in certain areas of the country where the pandemic is much worse.  Why do those people think that the advice is for everybody else and  doesnt apply to them. 

Edited by bessacarr425
  • I agree completely 2

33 minutes ago, nigel207 said:

No doubt it’ll come! After all, the money that is being dished out will have to be paid back somehow.

it's obvious to me that we shall be  in austerity for years to come, no matter what government is in. We are in a place at the moment that no one has any experience of.  The experts are  working from theory  at first .  Now they are learning from the other countries who are further ahead than us. 

I'm a pensioner so money wise  I'm okay., I haven't got the worries of all these workers with mortgages and families.  I am  on the waiting list for a small op, but , thankfully I don't have cancer with my chemo on pause .  I have got medical issues but I'm not on the  top vulnerable list like a lot of my neighbours.  So the way that I look at it is that so long as I do as I'm told , I have a good chance of surviving this virus, however lets be real,  if one thing doesn't get me something else will. 

Edited by joanie

3 minutes ago, joanie said:

it's obvious to me that we shall be  in austerity for years to come, no matter what government is in. We are in a place at the moment that no one has any experience of.  The experts are  working from theory  at first ,  what if's?  Now they are learning from the other countries who are further ahead than us. 

I'm a pensioner so money wise  I'm okay., I haven't got the worries of all these workers with mortgages and families.  I am  on the waiting list for a small op, but , thankfully I don't have cancer with my chemo on pause .  I have got medical issues but I'm not on the  top vulnerable list like a lot of my neighbours.  So the way that I look at it is that so long as I do as I'm told , I have a good chance of surviving this virus, however lets be real,  one thing doesn't get me something else will. 

Like you, my main concern at the moment is avoiding this awful virus, together with my friends and family (or indeed everyone!), and we’re trying to do our bit by very much abiding by the rules.

Whilst my wife and I aren’t yet quite State Pension age, we are both “retired” and have regular pensions, something that many who are less fortunate could only dream of. Please don’t get me wrong, we’re not rich, but we do have a steady income. I hope that those who need help financially get it, and get it as soon as they need it.

15 minutes ago, Mr Plodd said:

Thats all very well but you are speaking from a point of ignorance in regards to circumstances of the contract being awarded. To my mind someone like Dyson have factories set up to make tens of thousands of plastic components per day. The machinery just need to be adapted to make parts for ventilators rather than vacuum cleaners, so those “new” components can start to be produced in a fairly short period of time, and time is one thing we DONT have as the number of cases is rising at a terrifying rate. 

I dont see any criticism of the firms who have been given the contract to adapt Excel! On that subject did you see the news footage of that enormous Oxygen tank being installed (and the two additional plinths alongside for another two). Liquid Oxygen expands to something in the region of 600 times its liquid volume when turned to gas. That’s a VERY large amount of Oxygen that SOMEONE with access to vastly more information than any of us have, has decided will probably be necessary in the very near future, yet STILL there are people who see no purpose in the current restrictions. I wonder if their attitude would be different if they contract it? 

In the meantime I think the Government are doing all they can. It’s a totally new area for the entire world so everyone is “feeling their way” to a great extent. I am sure that once this has all died down there will be some who are quick to point out where things could have been done better, and they will, to a certain extent probably be right. But in the meantime I still think the Govt are doing the best THEY think they can under the present unprecedented crisis because it IS a very serious crisis written with a very large C.

In the meantime stay safe and abide by the rules which no-one likes but most see the vital need for.

Andy

At least the sun is shining! 

Exactly Andy, and yet companies like CureVac who already manufacture the necessary equipment asked the government for funding to increase their capacity yet were shunned.

I agree the government are doing all they can, it's just very sad they initially chose the wrong strategy, this we know as they admitted it themselves.

1 hour ago, FrankBullet said:

:goodpost:

Moderator comment:

We are doing our utmost to keep this thread from degenerating into argument, as political comments in other threads  have prompted. There'll doubtless be opportunity when this situation is over for analysis and discussion over who said what, why and when but for the time being let's please put point scoring to one side.

• Like 2
  • I agree completely 2