Wi-Fi Extender

I need one to reach the far corners of the chateau yg! Anyone just bought one that works well?

Cheers

I have a Netgear and TP Link one. I don't live in a large house but being old, (the house as well!!) WiFi doesn't seem to get through many walls. So I have one at each end of the house which serves various mobile devices and still gives a good enough signal for my WiFi security cameras to operate. Changeover between base and each repeater (as well as 5GHz) seems seamless.

You have a number of options.

The simplest to a non-technical person is to get a mesh system that the likes of BT do. Not cheap and will slow your system down but it does work.

Second option is to get a powerline adapter set which has a wi-fi plug on the remote end. Again may slow things a little and specifically the difference with mesh is that you phone (or whatever) will have to re-register as you move around the house which could cause a dropout.

Third option - and a bit more technical. If you have a spare router get yourself a pair of powerline adapters (I use TP-Link PA4010, about £25 from Expensive World). Plug one in next to your main router and connect it by cable to one of the yellow ports on the back of the router by an ethernet cable.  Plug your second adapter in somewhere at the far end of the chateau and connect it also by a cable to one of the yellow sockets in the back of your old router and, after you have made a config adjustment to your old router it will work as an 'access point' and provide the necessary coverage. If you have the knowledge you need to change the second router IP address to one in your main routers operational range, and you then need to turn DHCP off: If you don't have the knowledge PM me and I'll send you details.

2018 Passat B8 Estate 150GT TDi150 towing a 2018 Bailey Unicorn S4 Seville

15 minutes ago, AlwynMike said:

I have a Netgear and TP Link one. I don't live in a large house but being old, (the house as well!!) WiFi doesn't seem to get through many walls. So I have one at each end of the house which serves various mobile devices and still gives a good enough signal for my WiFi security cameras to operate. Changeover between base and each repeater (as well as 5GHz) seems seamless.

As above, but we have 2 Netgear repeaters. 1 at one end of the house, the other at the other end, they both communicate to the Night Hawk?

Swift Elegance 480, towed by a Mitsubishi L200 Barbarian X series 6.

Thanks David,

Any links to your choice of gar would be appreciated.

Cheers

19 minutes ago, yorkyguy said:

Thanks David,

Any links to your choice of gar would be appreciated.

Cheers

Why not search yourself via Google? 

Experience is something you acquire after you have an urgent need for it.

1 x Nighthawk D7000

2 x Extenders Model: EX6120

https://www.netgear.co.uk/home/

Swift Elegance 480, towed by a Mitsubishi L200 Barbarian X series 6.

I have very recently binned my ISP modem/router in favour of a stand-alone modem with a mesh router and three mesh nodes, each of which being a router in its own right.

I now get 5Ghz connections in every room and in the garden.  For the first time ever, I can happily stream on demand TV in the most distant bedroom.  

Connecting mesh nodes to an ISP or non mesh router is effectively adding extenders rather than creating a mesh.

A full mesh network is not a cheap option if an extender will do the job but driven by exasperation with a decent and fast broadband service into a flaky ISP modem/router and inadequate home network coverage...  

image.png.4b81e2f4ff328fc9e60d9601f9e5dacc.png

image.jpeg.d1183640b5f68cc7c6748493a52cc54a.jpeg

image.png.003f83112aa84f004f89c61df1b91b13.png

Edited by ReggiePerrin

This post is not intended to suggest you are pedantic or that you shouldn't ever post again.  It is not retaliatory in its intent and I apologise for any offence it may give rise to.

I use Solwise powerline adaptors which work well, even down to the summer house which is about 80 yards from the house.

Mercedes E350 CDi AMG Cabriolet, Lunar Freelander 640EW Twin Axle @1700kg

7 hours ago, PMW said:

I use Solwise powerline adaptors which work well, even down to the summer house which is about 80 yards from the house.

Ditto for the TP-Link units I mentioned in an earlier post. At 55Mb/s incoming, in my shed I'm getting 37Mb/s.

However, for those that have never used them before, do remember that they <MUST> be plugged into a wall socket and not into an extension block which (from personal experience) may stop them working.

2018 Passat B8 Estate 150GT TDi150 towing a 2018 Bailey Unicorn S4 Seville

I've had a mixture of units, Cisco, Devolo, TP-Link and Solwise and they all seem to work quite happily together. but since we got BT FTTP I sorted it all out and repositioned the BT Hub6 into the centre of our bungalow (running an ethernet cable between the optical modem and the router). The BT hub gives us 76mbit/s at 5g and around 45 at 2.4g.

I've also got three powerline adapters. A TP-Link plugged into the router which is on the kitchen ring main. Another TP-Link adapter with two ethernet outlets which feed the pre-wifi SKY HD+ and Humax boxes, via ethernet cables and it's also go a 2.4g wifi repeater which gives us around 37mbit/s (It's plugged into an extension lead) we can stream and download stuff without any problems. I've not checked the cabled ethernet speed (TP-Link kit here - https://www.amazon.co.uk/TL-WPA4220KIT-Powerline-Broadband-Configuration-UK/dp/B01LXOZ4EN, )

The third adapter is a very old quad outlet Cisco unit in the shed fed via a fuse and spur from the main fuse board,20mtrs of underground cable and another fuseboard in the shed  We've got a couple of security cameras and a power monitors plugged in - not checked the speeds in the shed because I can get adequate wifi on my laptop but it all works well.