1 hour ago, Mr Plodd said:

Thanks again, it has explained things brilliantly. 

Doubtless some  denier will be along shortly to rubbish it. Anyone want to take bets on who that might be?   

No, me neither 

Andy

No one?  :rolleyes:

Looks like me then.:D

https://www.snopes.com/news/2020/03/23/coronavirus-bigger-seasonal-flu/

Although in fairness i had read it before and was also quite impressed with it.

Whilst some of it is rubbished  (maybe thats too strong a word) quite alot is agreed on and slightly less scary. 

• Like 1
  • Replies 176
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Are we over reacting? I understand the official precautions being taken. I believe that many individuals are panicking by displaying greed and selfishness.

Dave Thats a bit harsh don’t you think?    This pandemic has taken the world by surprise, no-one saw it coming and, realistically no-one, could have even started planing  for it on a bi

I’m a front line hospital worker, we are not over reacting, we are under reacting. Having seen what’s going on in hospitals first hand we need to get really really serious, don’t think that if yo

Posted Images

This is a bit long and deep but gives an excellent insight into how and what a virus actually is especially Corona types and what makes them tick.

https://tinyurl.com/tn7c9b3

What is interesting is that it describes the process of species jumping very well the difficulty in fighting this particular strain and why, all of it science based and not here say or tall tales.

The comments are also interesting.

I was speaking to one of my grandchildren yesterday, who loved listening to Jeff Waynes War Of The Worlds over and over again and he said that this  Covid episode could be written in a book as " The Revenge Of The Martians ", our bacteria killed them, so they send some of theirs to do the same, the fruitful minds of children.

I told him to get writing, he could be a millionaire before he's 20. 👍😉

Edited by Silversurf
  • Haha 1

Common sense isn't a gift, it's a punishment because you have to deal with everyone who doesn't have it.  :rolleyes:

44 minutes ago, Silversurf said:

This is a bit long and deep but gives an excellent insight into how and what a virus actually is especially Corona types and what makes them tick.

https://tinyurl.com/tn7c9b3

What is interesting is that it describes the process of species jumping very well the difficulty in fighting this particular strain and why, all of it science based and not here say or tall tales.

The comments are also interesting.

I was speaking to one of my grandchildren yesterday, who loved listening to Jeff Waynes War Of The Worlds over and over again and he said that this  Covid episode could be written in a book as " The Revenge Of The Martians ", our bacteria killed them, so they send some of theirs to do the same, the fruitful minds of children.

I told him to get writing, he could be a millionaire before he's 20. 👍😉

He's not far off.

Over population and poverty, Humans interfering with and eating wild animals.

Natures revenge.

Yeti 2.0TDi DSG 4X4 L&K, Octavia TSi Manual, Citigo ASG, Swift Challenger.

We are really cut off.  Cannot make landline calls and mobile network not connecting however Internet seems to be working okay?

17 hours ago, Squash said:

As a matter of interest this country is not alone in  having a large number of idiots who ignore warnings that are there to be followed.

I had a conversation with a Dutch friend earlier.

In Holland the Government have a system whereby they can send a message to every mobile phone in the country.  They test it every 6 months to check it works.

Yesterday without warning phones everywhere sounded the alarm and the message, from the Government Crisis Team had written EXTREME EMERGENCY.  Everyone return home immediately and stay there!

Like here crowds were simply ignoring the distancing rule - like here they know better! 

Just had an email from the government website to say that "The government is texting people across the UK to inform them of the new rules announced by the PM yesterday (23rd March). This has been made possible thanks to the cooperation of mobile phone operators".

2014 SsangYong Rexton W towing a 2017 Sprite Major 4EB. (After June 9th).

Strangely enough, my Mrs has already had the government text, so has her sister and so have several of her friends, but I haven't, even though I'm on the same network, (Tesco mobile). Maybe they realise that I'm obeying the advice!!

8 minutes ago, Townie said:

Strangely enough, my Mrs has already had the government text, so has her sister and so have several of her friends, but I haven't, even though I'm on the same network, (Tesco mobile). Maybe they realise that I'm obeying the advice!!

Ours - both on 3 - came about 3 hours apart.  Obviously both on the same cell/tower.

The mobile companies know how to stagger things to keep the network traffic to manageable proportions.

2012 Bailey Pegasus 2 Rimini towed by 2019 Ford Galaxy Titanium X, 2.0 EcoBlue, 8 speed auto.

My wife has been sent home to self isolate from work, as others have, because the employer knows they are on the Flu jab list, initially for 2 weeks, but what would be the point of going back to work if the pandemic remains the same, so we are thinking it will be upped to 12 weeks, or maybe the duration.

Now call me cynical but why?

Im beginning to believe companys maybe thinking that if an employee/member contracts covid 19 on their premises that company, or Club, could be held liable, just a thought. The CMC stated it closed because of Social Distancing couldnt be maintained, odd reason dont you think.

Edited by Wellys and Mac

The one thing we desperately need, (apart from an effective vaccine) are testing kits. You are meant to self isolate if you show symptoms, and if and when you recover, you can go back to work, (if necessary). My next door neighbour is a Doctor (of Psychiatry), who has been self isolating because of an unexplained cough, (no other symptoms). She has been working from home, but expects to get the call to return to hospital in order to revert to ward duties. She hasn't had a test to say if she has actually HAD Covid, so she could be going back to work, just to become infected.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Wellys and Mac said:

Enjoy, a real eye opener.

https://www.skylinewebcams.com/en/webcam.html

One of my favourite websites.   I posted a still of San Marco in Venice yesterday showing only the pigeons were out.

Citroen C5-X7 Tourer+Avondale Rialto 480/2
https://jondogoescaravanning.com

have  you had the govt. text , telling you to stay home and only go out for food, meds and a walk.  It's a general text, nothing sinister.

16 hours ago, Flat_at said:

Hello MUPPET here, just a few words of clarification. I am not "away" at the moment, I have no intention of "going away" until mid May, in fact my 'van has no wheels at the moment. If the advice does not change from "should not travel" and the caravan sites remain open for business then .... :mellow:

"Away" with the fairies perhaps??

On 22/03/2020 at 22:44, pepys1660 said:

What an excellent opportunity to quote H. L Mencken.

" For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong."

👍😂

China is lifting the lock down in Wuhan province in 2 hours CNN World News.

Just told our gardener Nicola Sturgeon has given him permission to work.

So thats two bits of good news 😀😀

1 hour ago, ancell said:

China is lifting the lock down in Wuhan province in 2 hours CNN World News.

Just told our gardener Nicola Sturgeon has given him permission to work.

So thats two bits of good news 😀😀

According to a Brit locked down in Wuhan City (Hubei is the Province) by BBC News, the lock down is less restrictive in 2 DAYS time...

Edited by Guzzilazz

Larry from Essex

2019 Bailey Unicorn Cabrera 2017 Kuga 2. 0 TDCi 150

2 hours ago, Guzzilazz said:

According to a Brit locked down in Wuhan City (Hubei is the Province) by BBC News, the lock down is less restrictive in 2 DAYS time...

Does that mean Trump is correct about CNN ?😊

Well, on the basis of the "give millions of chimps a typewriter and one of them will write Shakespeare" hypothesis, even he has to be right about something once...:lol:

• Like 1

Larry from Essex

12 hours ago, logiclee said:

He's not far off.

Over population and poverty, Humans interfering with and eating wild animals.

Natures revenge.

Is it not social behaviour?

The people of that region just like the Spaniards of the Spanish interior like to buy live wild creatures to eat.

They do nt mind seeing them killed in the market or D-I-Y just like the Zaragoza market when we were there 40 years ago.

Having  wild creatures crammed together for hours is asking for cross contamination at the very least.

Then the problem of consuming wild animals with no knowledge of their suitability for human consumption.

However it did not hinder our farmers turning our cattle designed to eat grass into cannibals with BSE the result

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bovine_spongiform_encephalopathy

Boris sounded a bit like John Gummer

http://news.bbc.co.uk/onthisday/hi/dates/stories/may/16/newsid_2913000/2913807.stm

with all that guff about "herd immunity" that complacency is going to cost lives and lost valuable time.

And he is still fiddling about while the London Rush Hour with packed tube trains rumbles on.

Not seen any packed trams in Edinburgh videos?

or Glasgow Clockwork Orange videos?

I wish everybody well for the coming week.

7 hours ago, ancell said:

And he is still fiddling about while the London Rush Hour with packed tube trains rumbles on.

Not seen any packed trams in Edinburgh videos?

or Glasgow Clockwork Orange videos?

I wish everybody well for the coming week.

I think you will find that it’s the London Mayor, that little virtue signalling  pipsqueak Sadiq Khan, who decreed that 40% percentage of  underground stations should close and the number of trains be halved, and not Boris.

Possibly done with the right intentions but, once it became obvious of the effect it was having it SHOULD have been reversed. But with “small man syndrome” he didn’t want to appear weak.

Andy

Experience is an awful teacher who ends up sending you simply horrifying bills

30 minutes ago, Mr Plodd said:

I think you will find that it’s the London Mayor, that little virtue signalling  pipsqueak Sadiq Khan, who decreed that 40% percentage of  underground stations should close and the number of trains be halved, and not Boris.

Possibly done with the right intentions but, once it became obvious of the effect it was having it SHOULD have been reversed. But with “small man syndrome” he didn’t want to appear weak.

Andy

TfL took the decision to close tube stations and cut services due to staff shortages because of the virus! The problem is being caused by too many people still travelling who aren't essential.

2015 VW Touareg 3. 0 V6 TDI + 2013 Lunar Clubman ES

As a previous regular commuter on the Jubilee line from Stratford, my observation is that the passenger demographic at around 0700 was predominantly building site workers. Until the sites are shut down it won't change 

• I agree completely 1

Larry from Essex

4 minutes ago, Black Grouse said:

TfL took the decision to close tube stations and cut services due to staff shortages because of the virus! The problem is being caused by too many people still travelling who aren't essential.

How do so called "front line staff" get to work in London, especially those that live outside the capital get to work and travel around.

It's not just doctors, nurses, firemen, policemen and hosts of other that are obvious, we cant shut down telecoms or the financial institutions or even food shops so transport is essential for people to get to their places of work.

I guess there are some that might be travelling unnecessarily but virtually halving the number of trains or buses wont help and people will be reluctant to take a car into London with all the excess charges that are imposed there

• Sad 1

2018 S-Max Titanium 2. 0 Tdci (177. 54bhp,180ps,132kw) Powershift + 2015 Unicorn III Cadz, Ventura Marlin porch awning