Caravan Site Closures & Refunding Deposits

A thread to cover Caravan Site closures due to 'you know what'

Add any you are aware of

Refunding of deposits thoughts as well plez

Tow car -  2019 MY20 G01 BMW X3 xDrive 20d M Sport 

Caravan -  2017 Compass Camino 660                               

85% On The 'Ratio'

Email received today, we’re booked to go here in August 

We have been monitoring the situation with regards to visitors to Tyddyn Isaf, and to North Wales in general and following advice from our local doctors’ surgery we are heart broken to announce that we are considering closing.

We are alarmed at the number of people who have chosen to travel to Tyddyn Isaf this weekend, despite government advice to avoid non-essential travel.

Under these circumstances, from immediate effect we are not taking any further holiday bookings.  We also urge holiday home and seasonal touring customers not to travel to Tyddyn Isaf as we feel a full closure may be imminent.

If you have a holiday booked with us, please do not contact us at the moment, as we will be in touch with you within the next few days.  At present we are not in a position to give any answers.

This is a fluid situation, and further details will follow.

We thank you for your understanding.

Posted (edited)

Having had a chat with a friend last night he received a full refund for upcoming dates he had booked within this crisis.

I have 2 caravan sites booked, and a house but that to one side, one paid for in full for 2 weeks time, no contact yet, the other is end of June so not really expecting anything other than, and here is the "Unexpected" payment of balance reminder,.

So how has others experience been of similar situation re deposits.?

Should I pay the balance for our 2 weeks hol in June when due  6 weeks before arrival.?

Edited by Wellys and Mac

1 hour ago, Wellys and Mac said:

Should I pay the balance for our 2 weeks hol in June when due  6 weeks before arrival?

There is no one answer for everyone, other than to Talk to the hosts discuss it with them.

We are all going to pay one way or another for this crisis, whether it is companies going out of business, or individuals either financially or with their health.

There's a saying that you cannot make a cake without breaking eggs, and that applies perfectly here. If we are to come out of this situation able to function as a country, there are going to be casualties. The only question is whether it will be you, or somebody else.

ExTenter

• Like 1
  • I agree completely 2

We were due to board a cruise ship in Southampton last Sunday, a week earlier we received an email from P&O cancelling the cruise.

We were offered either a 125% future cruise credit (FCC) that equates to what we paid + 25% extra credit on our account, or a full refund.

It would appear all the cruise companies across the world have done similar gestures.

I guess the companies that see the longer picture want to ensure the customer does not lose out, others will just see the short term gain of  a few ££££ now.

P&O have even offered to apply a FCC to cruises not already cancelled but the customer has had to cancel due to government advice  for medically compromised or those over 70.

Jaguar E-Pace 180D HSE R Dynamic - 2008 Swift Conqueror 540

"Unless otherwise stated, my posts will be my personal thoughts and have the same standing as any other member of Caravan Talk"

7 minutes ago, Grandpa Steve said:

We were due to board a cruise ship in Southampton last Sunday, a week earlier we received an email from P&O cancelling the cruise.

We were offered either a 125% future cruise credit (FCC) that equates to what we paid + 25% extra credit on our account, or a full refund.

It would appear all the cruise companies across the world have done similar gestures.

You were lucky

PACKAGE HOLIDAY REFUND RULES TO BE SUSPENDED

The difference between a master and a beginner

The master has failed more times than a beginner has ever tried.

11 minutes ago, Lost in France said:

Not so much lucky, basically you have a suspended credit that if you chose not to use within 2 years you get the money back.

It is a difficult call really, I am happy to pay for any holiday that I can get as a credit in the future in order to keep the cash-flow in the tourism market going but everyone will have a different view on the subject. Our Italian accommodation paid us back weeks ago as they couldn’t fulfil preparing the caravans - we will use them again in the future but I was happy for the money to be held on account or similar.

11 minutes ago, FrankBullet said:

Not so much lucky, basically you have a suspended credit that if you chose not to use within 2 years you get the money back.

Grandpa Steve was offered a full refund, which is more than they have to offer now, so I would say he was lucky ;)

The difference between a master and a beginner

The master has failed more times than a beginner has ever tried.

We're due to go to our usual site in Spain in July, I paid a 100€ deposit last year for this years visit. I really can't see them opening this year at all (I hope I'm wrong), I've e-mailed them, wished them well and told them if they can't open they can keep my deposit.

2015 3. 2 Auto Mitsubishi Pajero tugging a 2016 Tabbert Pucinni 2. 5e

We had a holiday booked through the CMC for June/July staying in Luxembourg and France, including P and O ferries. Paid deposit a month or so and the balance was due in April. I have just phoned the CMC and cancelled the holiday and was told that I would receive a full refund for the deposit. Wasn't expecting that, so we are very pleased:)

BMW X6 M50D + Buccaneer Schooner 2017

I have received emails about cancellation of Easter holiday from 2 camp sites. So far banks seem to be treating customers better than camp sites and refusing refunds even though the terms and conditions say I am entitled. Didn't think u would ever say that.

I would have thought that as the camp site is breaking the contract through no fault of their own, you should be entitled to a full refund under CRA 2015.  After all the government will be giving the camp site a grant anyway to survive.

9 minutes ago, Durbanite said:

After all the government will be giving the camp site a grant anyway to survive.

Are you sure?

We have a booking at a non CCC or CB site and have taken up the 'offer' of a credit to use at a later date. As it is not hundreds we are happy with that and hope it helps the owner ride out the storm!

• Like 1

Hyundai Santa Fe Premium SE 2015 with Lunar Clubman si 2011

Tattoos - who would want to make their body look like the wall in a public urinal - they are going to look amazing on a 75 year old - not!

From tomorrow Thursday, no caravans nor MHs are allowed to enter the Lake District. Monitored by the police with the possibility of fines. 

Not now but we'd love you back sometime in the future when this is all over. 

Thank you all

• I agree completely 3

Graham

Unless otherwise stated all posts are my personal opinion 

Posted (edited)
On 24/03/2020 at 10:44, gmc15 said:

We had a holiday booked through the CMC for June/July staying in Luxembourg and France, including P and O ferries. Paid deposit a month or so and the balance was due in April. I have just phoned the CMC and cancelled the holiday and was told that I would receive a full refund for the deposit. Wasn't expecting that, so we are very pleased:)

We are in a similar situation - travelling in June, balance due by 2nd April. I have no wish to pay the balance and checked their website today - they are asking people not to contact them unless you are travelling in the next 7 days, so I’ve held back. Maybe I should just pick the phone up and ask too, but I don’t wish to burden them at this obviously busy time.  As part of our trip I have independently reserved a pitch on a French site for 6 nights and paid a small deposit of 33 Euros, which I’m not expecting to get back when I contact them to cancel.

As for deposits paid on UK Commercial Sites, we’ve only paid one (£25) and the site is offering to hold this against any future booking in 2020 or 2021. We’re happy with that.

Edited by Glen and Les

2019 Ford Kuga 2. 0 (150 bhp) AWD Manual and 2017 Coachman Pastiche 565.

We are in a similar situation to Glen and Les and have had similar offers from our seasonal pitch provider.  We are also quite happy with that.

As far as refunds etc are concerned I think all anybody can do is accept and comply with the terms and conditions of the booking.  Any better alternatives  rely on the goodwill of the site operators.  Otherwise vote with your feet next time around.  

• Like 1

We only had one site booked, it’s a favourite of ours. Small family run, they’ve offered a refund of our deposit. I’ve said keep it, if we don’t land up a bit dead, we’ll want to back in future. It’s no good to us if they go out of business. Small gestures can go a long way. 

• Like 1
  • I agree completely 2

Our Easter long weekend break at Elie, Fife had been cancelled a week or so ago with full refund.

Our one week break at West Beach, Hopeman, Moray last week in May has been cancelled this morning again with a full refund or option to move booking offered.

• Like 1

Towing: 2018 Swift Sprite Quattro EB

Tow Car: 2020 BMW X3 M40i

1 hour ago, BM Bairn said:

Our Easter long weekend break at Elie, Fife had been cancelled a week or so ago with full refund.

Our one week break at West Beach, Hopeman, Moray last week in May has been cancelled this morning again with a full refund or option to move booking offered.

It's nice to be given the choice of a refund. The campsite I booked are refusing. They have offered 1 move within the next 12 months but now I can't rebook. Mine wasn't a deposit either as you have to book in full. Feels like they are robbing me.

Posted (edited)

I agree with letting a small booking deposit go or to lie there until a later date, but if you have put a large amount down and were offered a later date or a refund, I think that I would take the refund.

I'm lucky insomuch that we didn't make any bookings this year as we decided on a pot luck holiday season and go where the road takes us, not realising that every road takes us home  :rolleyes:

Edited by joanie

I was due to go to Naples, this month and had paid in full.  I've now asked for September, which is totally acceptable, and with same seating.  At the front and next to the window:D

I was also ready to go on my first caravan holiday on my own, on 19 April.  Deposit paid only.  I've been told that I can re-schedule within the next 12 months.  As soon as everything is up and running, I'll re-book to that campsite

I paid in full (terms and conditions) for our "adventure" and stand to get no refunds unless the booked sites decide or are compelled to close. But to look on the brightside it was a tax refund, easy come easy go. :mellow:

Retirement, the best job I've ever had. The only problem is, I don't get a day off.

You know you're an intellectual when you hear The William Tell Overture and you don't think of the Lone Ranger.

We are suppose to be going away at Easter but with the obvious goings on it isnt going to happen.(annoying but fine) Interestingly  we've not heard anything from the campsite we are suppose to be staying  with and i would of thought they would of been in contact. 

Disco 3 and Bailey Segovia 

On 24/03/2020 at 10:44, gmc15 said:

Can I ask, please, did you then receive an automated email listing all the cancellation charges and showing your balance being used to pay them? I rang yesterday morning, spoke with a lady working from home. She struggled to get my details up and said she’d call me back. An hour later I received this email but no phone call to explain the process. I did ring back in the afternoon and spoke with a different person, also working from home, who told me just ignore it. Did you get a similar experience?

Thanks, Glen.

2019 Ford Kuga 2. 0 (150 bhp) AWD Manual and 2017 Coachman Pastiche 565.

I apologise if im wrong but took a picture of this I seen in a daily newspaper.

The way I read it is if the site is unmanned (understandable during the current crisis),and they are unable to provide facilities,you are entitled to a  full refund?

I may be wrong but it got me thinking

20200327_100026.jpg

• Thanks 1