Alko wheels lock.

i'm having a problem with the thread on the wheel lock. it feels like its cross threaded although for such a big bolt it's hard to believe that.

Any suggestions as i'm reluctant to force it. 

Tried wd40 etc

Stuck in position, or unable to start the thread?

If the former, try penetrating oil and if the latter check the ends of the thread visually and if good, grease lightly.

Need a bit more info really. Cross threaded is unlikely, but if it's in and you can't remove it,  try jacking the wheel up and make sure the handbrake is off in case the van has moved and forced against the side of the bolt

• Like 1

Have you tried just the bolt, without the lozenge. If the bolt runs in OK without the lozenge, its probably that the wheel is slightly mispositioned

I cross threaded the receiver on mine with surprising ease

I had to get it re tapped in the end, i was 'loaned' a tap, but i don't recall from where 

Similar story here 

Edited by littlebasher

2022 Swift Elite 860 & Santa Fe

The thread goes in about 3 turns and then feels hard to turn even with brace. its very tempting to apply pressure but if it is cross threaded it will only make it worse. Just checked bolt and that is clean and threads are ok.

Does anyone know what size and type of thread it is so i can tap and die it.

You used to be able to “borrow” a tap from AlKo. Worth asking them.

2019 Ford Kuga 2. 0 (150 bhp) AWD Manual and 2022 Coachman Acadia GTS 565.

If the bolt thread is fine and not obstructed then clearly there is an issue with the receiver thread, could be something as simple a bit of grit lodged in part of the thread and that’s what’s stopping the bolt. Time to take the wheel off, get a torch and have a really good look inside. A stiff “bottle brush” might be handy to have close by. 

Being such a coarse thread it’s unlikely, (but not impossible,) it’s been cross threaded. I would investigate the receiver much more closely before anything else.

Andy

• I agree completely 1

Experience is something you acquire after you have an urgent need for it.

was the last thread on the same topic.  Al-Ko got fed up of loaners not being returned. So it is buy your own now - the size is in that above thread.

But I'd agree a good look see and clean would be in order.  A toothbrush might work to clean the socket threads?  I recall having a similar issue and it was a very, very slight dink in the bolt thread, rather than in the receiver socket iirc.?  Now I ensure I have a thin smear of silicon grease on it all and put the yellow bung in on the move.

2012 Bailey Pegasus 2 Rimini towed by 2019 Ford Galaxy Titanium X, 2.0 EcoBlue, 8 speed auto.

30 minutes ago, colin h said:

The thread goes in about 3 turns and then feels hard to turn even with brace. its very tempting to apply pressure but if it is cross threaded it will only make it worse. Just checked bolt and that is clean and threads are ok.

Does anyone know what size and type of thread it is so i can tap and die it.

A trip to your nearest engineers suppliers with the bolt should enable you to obtain a tap quite easily, possibly a second or third tap would be best for the coarse thread.

Due to the restricted working area with the wheel off, especially for tapping, you will have to ensure that the tap is perfectly square otherwise more problems, not forgetting that if it does go wrong and you have to remove the receiver, this entails removing the brake drum, the receiver is bolted to the brake back plate, this depends on the year of the van, early receivers were mounted on the chassis.

Common sense isn't a gift, it's a punishment because you have to deal with everyone who doesn't have it.  :rolleyes:

Thread is 20 mm x2.5 pitch. Most engineering workshops will have one.