Channel Tunnel Frequent Traveller

I bought ten Frequent Traveller tickets for the Channel Tunnel in mid July 2019.

So far I have used six of them and have a trip booked - out at the beginning of June returning the first week in July.

With the situation as it is I would be surprised if the trip I have booked will run. Also there is little chance of using the remaining tickets.

Does anyone know if the company will extend the date in which the tickets can be used?  

Alan

We already did and this was their answer:

At this time Eurotunnel Le Shuttle services are unaffected by the coronavirus, we continue to take guidance from the Department for Transport, and the Public Health England. Further information can also be found on : https://www.gov.uk/guidance/wuhan-novel-coronavirus-information-for-the-public..

Currently the terms and conditions of our Frequent Traveller Wallet are still applying.  

Our Frequent Traveller Accounts are non-refundable and that all credit must be used within 12 calendar months, we are unfortunately unable to extend the validity on your account. 

We will  keep all updated information regarding the current situation via our website https://www.eurotunnel.com/uk/travelling-with-us/latest/covid-19/ .

We hope you will not allow any disappointment associated with this decision deter you from travelling with Eurotunnel Le Shuttle in the future.

Please do not hesitate to contact us for any further queries. 

Kind regards

Sorry to disappoint you.

We still have six crossings in the pot, expiring in July. We had planned to use up four of them but not now.

As the FCO have advised against travel to any other country now, you would think that we could get either refunded or bump the expiry on a bit.

Seems not....

No, as someone else said 'The big companies say tough, we don't need to help, we've got your money, cheerio chaps' and the little companies and local businesses are doing their best to help out - going out of their way to help people who are struggling, delivering when they don't usually.  Let's give a hand to the little businesses and in the future show them our loyalty.  I know there are unfortunately no small ferry operators any longer, but we can always change to P and O regular traveller tickets, which can be 'shared' with anyone on payment of a small fee.

So agree with you Val. We had a booking to go to Gran Canaria this week but with Jet2 cancelling flights the holiday is cancelled.  I rang the Radisson Hotel who I had booked direct with and they cancelled without any issues and no loss of money. Jet2 refunded also with no quibbles.  

We were staying overnight with Novotel at Birmingham airport night before flight and night we returned but they will not refund or even change the booking to a Mercure or Ibis in July in France. (A little presumptuous assuming we will be travelling then but worth trying).  Their response was a straight no, but we could book another night at Birmingham airport.  They didn’t see how when  I had no flight would I wish to spend a night at an airport hotel. 

On the other hand, the two companies - Jet2 and Radisson - I’ve never used before have refunded with no issues. Accor - Novotel, Mercure Ibis et al - who I use regularly in France as I drive north to south to our caravan that is stored in the south and put lots of business their way and am a silver loyalty member have refused any refund.  

We will opt for a small chamber de notes on our journey south next time whenever that may be.

Edited by Bergamo

FWIW ....

At one point this week we had the same return only Tunnel bookings for 17/3/20 21.20pm & 19/3/20 15.20pm (& 30/3/20 9.40am re-arranged) but were awaiting via CCC a resolution.

My sentiments now very much extend also to Booking travel, sites & Tunnel crossings via CMC & CCC. There  have been huge issues with getting information and even making contact with Clubs and also the in-flexibility with changing arrangements during the last 10 days. Still little positive news of changes to this position as at 21/3/20.

I, for one, will next time (hopeful shrug ?) again contact & book direct with Sites in EU (often the cheapest option anyway) but also change over and book direct with  Eurotunnel and just pay the bit extra. The Eurotunnel desk was operating & the after hours help phone inside Calais terminal was answering on Tuesday night. Other weary travellers en-route were generally very complimentary of Eurotunnel's flexibility and contact service (text advice etc) and with changing direct bookings and moving payments over. Via CCC ... you are eighth in the queue ....

No doubt in the passage of time memories will quickly fade, like sadly many small businesses.

Await critic ...

M

18 hours ago, ValA said:

the little companies and local businesses are doing their best to help out - going out of their way to help people who are struggling, delivering when they don't usually.  Let's give a hand to the little businesses and in the future show them our loyalty.  

:goodpost:

Some companies have excelled in my opinion, while others have nothing to be proud of - I will remember . . .

Fourwinds Hurricane 31D Motorhome. Also MGTF135 1. 8i Roadster (fun) & Volvo V70 3.2Ltr LPG (everyday car)
Unless otherwise stated, my posts will be my personal thoughts and have the same standing as any other member of Caravan Talk.

The latest statement seems to be

Our usual, flexible conditions apply. Most ticket types have a full year from date of original purchase to be used, as long as amended before the day of your booked travel and there are no admin fees for changing dates. Our Flexiplus tickets are fully refundable.Travel to be completed within 1 calendar year of the date of original purchase.

There is the further restriction about travelling before April 19

On 20/03/2020 at 20:32, Bergamo said:

So agree with you Val. We had a booking to go to Gran Canaria this week but with Jet2 cancelling flights the holiday is cancelled.  I rang the Radisson Hotel who I had booked direct with and they cancelled without any issues and no loss of money. Jet2 refunded also with no quibbles.  

We were staying overnight with Novotel at Birmingham airport night before flight and night we returned but they will not refund or even change the booking to a Mercure or Ibis in July in France. (A little presumptuous assuming we will be travelling then but worth trying).  Their response was a straight no, but we could book another night at Birmingham airport.  They didn’t see how when  I had no flight would I wish to spend a night at an airport hotel. 

On the other hand, the two companies - Jet2 and Radisson - I’ve never used before have refunded with no issues. Accor - Novotel, Mercure Ibis et al - who I use regularly in France as I drive north to south to our caravan that is stored in the south and put lots of business their way and am a silver loyalty member have refused any refund.  

We will opt for a small chamber de notes on our journey south next time whenever that may be.

We were due to fly to Las Palmas, Gran Canaria, with Jet2 tomorrow  with five star hotel as part of the package. It was meant to be a golden wedding celebration. Inevitably it has been cancelled but a full refund is on its way.

We have used Jet 2 six times in previous years and never been disappointed.

In our view they are, by far, the best of the "budget" airlines. Thoroughly clean passenger compartments and excellent stewards.

Highly recommended.

( No connection whatsoever to the company-unfortunately).

Its so easy to rectify.  Simply stop using them.  Go back to the ferries.  These large companies take you all for granted.  Personally, I've always used the ferry, never used the shuttle at all.  One good thing for most of you guys out there, that if you do stop using the shuttle, it won't take long for their prices to come down.  Then you can reap the rewards.  But a lot of you won't.  Just my opinion

• 1 month later...
On 24/03/2020 at 11:31, SGThomas said:

The latest statement seems to be

Our usual, flexible conditions apply. Most ticket types have a full year from date of original purchase to be used, as long as amended before the day of your booked travel and there are no admin fees for changing dates. Our Flexiplus tickets are fully refundable.Travel to be completed within 1 calendar year of the date of original purchase.

There is the further restriction about travelling before April 19

You may have noticed that the statement does not include 'Frequent Traveller'!

I phoned Eurotunnel earlier this week and was told that there is no extension to the one year!

Alan

Better news for some people, from Eurotunnel about Frequent Traveller accounts:

Since our last email to you, we have been working hard to find a solution to ensure that our valued Frequent Travellers do not miss out on their regular crossings with our service in the future.

I know that you were concerned that you would be unable to use all of the remaining tickets on your account before it expires so I am pleased to confirm that we are now able to extend the validity of your account by 12 months. You will now have until 28th June 2021 to use any remaining tickets.

We will shortly be sending a mailing to all of our loyal account holders to make them aware of this but I wanted to let you know in advance. As I have already amended the account, you don’t need to do anything when you receive the email.

Thank you again for your continued loyalty to Eurotunnel Le Shuttle. We look forward to seeing you again very soon.

2 hours ago, staffordshirechina said:

Thanks Val, that's brilliant news!

We have six more crossings that would have gone down the pan otherwise.

I agree - excellent news, we have four ticket left.

Alan

Hi

I have a frequent traveller account and would have normally been in the middle of a journey around now.

I've contacted Eurotunnel and they extended my "deal" initially by three months, but then a further nine. Three was OK, but I'm over the moon with nine.

Cheers

Russ

Online blog and travels, although sometimes there is a lack of travel due to work!

It's an uncharted sea, it's an unopened door but you've got to reach out and you've got to explore.

That sounds like good news I have 8 crossings left still. But at the end of the day if I had lost them so what. As long as I and all of my family get to the end of this Covid 19 fit and well that's all I care about at the moment. to many people have died to worry about a few hundred quid!!!

Now living in Haute Vienne France

3 hours ago, MGBGTV8 said:

That sounds like good news I have 8 crossings left still. But at the end of the day if I had lost them so what. As long as I and all of my family get to the end of this Covid 19 fit and well that's all I care about at the moment. to many people have died to worry about a few hundred quid!!!

Yes, we were talking to our neighbour today, and he works in nursing, and has lost two colleagues in their forties to Covid19.  It puts it all into perspective when we were all out in the sun chatting (at a socially allowable distance).  He said 'All we can do, really, is what we're told and hope we survive to see the end of it'!  

16 hours ago, KontikiKid said:

Hi

I have a frequent traveller account and would have normally been in the middle of a journey around now.

I've contacted Eurotunnel and they extended my "deal" initially by three months, but then a further nine. Three was OK, but I'm over the moon with nine.

Cheers

Russ

Russ do you think that I should contact Eurotunnel or will they extend validity automatically?  

Alan

We booked in January with the C&CC, paying in full, for June/July Eurotunnel crossings. First time with the club, in the past have booked direct (often using Tesco vouchers).

Would like to use the ferries again, but have found this difficult with a passenger wheelchair user, especially the bulkheads on the car decks and deploying the wheelchair lift (French operators assume they will exit from our driver's side..)

The tunnel is so much simpler where we are usually directed to the first on and off. Very friendly and convenient.

My request to from the Club has been met by the usuall we are busy and currently dealing with the April bookings. And referred to the tunnel terms and conditions.

Currently these state that I am able to change the date of crossing for up to a year from the date of booking - so January 2021.

Clearly this is of no use to us. 1 year from crossing dates would have been acceptable.

I am a little more optimistic having read the post stating that the frequent traveller tickets have now effectively been extended by 12 months.

Has anyone made any progress with the C&CC, especially if tunnel crossings were made for April?

2 hours ago, CliveB said:

Has anyone made any progress with the C&CC, especially if tunnel crossings were made for April?

No progress here.

I am due to travel on a ferry to France booked via C&CC for travel  end of May, sent them an email on 7 April and got the holding email like you. I have other trips booked direct with airlines etc ,these have been cancelled or changed with no problem, the saving on the booking was about the same as my membership fee, I will review my options at renwal time.

We have a Wilderness trailboat it is the same as a Caravan but it floats, the inside fittings are the same as in many Caravans (Lights,Cooker, Alde heating etc), we stay on Caravan sites (Caravan mode) enroute to and from our chosen destinations,and in France on the return leg for two or more nights due to vet visits. www. wilderness. org. uk

7 hours ago, AlanNancy said:

Russ do you think that I should contact Eurotunnel or will they extend validity automatically?  

Alan

Contact them Alan. Use he contact form from the Eurotunnel home page. You will need to quote your frequent traveller account number. In the comments, ask for an extension.

Cheers

R

Online blog and travels, although sometimes there is a lack of travel due to work!

It's an uncharted sea, it's an unopened door but you've got to reach out and you've got to explore.

1 minute ago, KontikiKid said:

Contact them Alan. Use he contact form from the Eurotunnel home page. You will need to quote your frequent traveller account number. In the comments, ask for an extension.

Cheers

R

Thanks Russ.

Alan

I telephoned Eurotunnel today and was told that within the next two weeks I would receive an email from the company confirming the extension to the Frequent Traveller tickets.  As I understand it this is for all people with Frequent Traveller tickets.

As soon as I have the email I will confirm that on this thread.

Alan

• 2 weeks later...

We've just had an email to say our contract has been extended by twelve months, which is a fantastic result, and one I didn't expect.  Our contract expired on 27th March - and because of ill-health and family issues,  between us and the couple we share the account with we still had six unused crossings!  For us that's a fantastic result.    Thank you Eurotunnel.